Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band or Sleeve? So confused :(

Hey everyone!!

I have an appointment with my surgeon on Wednesday and made the appointment for a lap band however have been researching since making the appointment and now I am worried about the success of the band... I have joined a few chat groups and been reading into past topics etc and seems that most people who get the band regret it and end up having the sleeve done.

I would appreciate any advice or experiences to help clear my head!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

When I made my consultation with my surgeon, I was convinced that I wanted the band. However, after doing some research and really thinking about it, I decided against the band and went for the sleeve instead. Here's why: I don't feel comfortable having a foreign object in my body, it kind of freaks me out. I also don't want to have to get a saline injection through a port every time I need an adjustment, that means extra doctor's visits, more commuting to his office (which isn't terribly close to me to begin with, plus I don't drive). I'm also not a fan of the complications of the band (slipping, erosion, etc). Like you, I've also seen the revision from band to sleeve stories too, and that also played a factor in my decision process.

The sleeve has it's complications too, but given my personal weight loss story and overall journey, I feel I would personally benefit more from the sleeve, you see, I'm always hungry lol. And with the part of the stomach that is being removed (where the hunger hormone is), my constant hunger (physical hunger, not the retched head hunger) shouldn't be a problem. Also, given my history with what I eat, my doctors office recommended the sleeve. Although they would of done the band had I chosen too.

I've never had surgery and never been put to sleep for any procedure, and I am a bit scared but I feel good about my decision to sleeve and not band. I've thought about it for months and have done my research and feel like I understand the pro's and con's of both procedures. The sleeve just seemed like a better choice for ME. This is not to say that there's anything wrong with the band though!

I think that you just really need to read up on both procedures some more, read success stories and some not so successful ones, read about the pro's and con's to both, and be realistic about how each one can personally benefit you and what you are comfortable with. At the end of the day, it'll be your choice, and I'm sure you'll make the best choice for YOU!

Hope this helped ^_^

My surgeon doesn't do the lap band on people as obese as I was since he says the success rate is very low overall, and especially bad for people who have a lot of weight to lose. He won't do the lap band even on lower BMI folks unless they insist and absolutely refuse any other kind of bariatric surgery. He says the complications and lack of success for many people with the band make it hard for him to want to do it for anyone.

I never wanted the band because I knew I needed something permanent and with more of a success record since I had been obese all of my life, but that was what he explained to me as we went over all the options. I know there are some people who have great success with the band (including the founder of this forum) but I also knew it was not the right choice for me, and my surgeon agreed. I am sure your surgeon will help you make your decision to and provide lots of great information for you. Good luck!

I had the band.... and now have the sleeve. .. the difference is like night and day!

I honestly would not recommend the band to anyone.... i was a success story on the band... and it functioned well for 5 years... then i had complications and had it out... gained a lot of weight back... and completely screwed up my metabolism... i am now sleeved and so far so good.

From someone who has had both, the sleeve is much more low maintenance and the restriction is different.

Restriction with the band was more uncomfortable than it is with the sleeve.

If you want to know more let me know

My surgeon doesn't even do the lap band anymore because of all of the issues. Sleeves or RNY only.

I wanted the band at first too but my surgeon changed my mind when he told me more about the sleeve and less check up and no adjusting the band all the time and that you lose more with the sleeve

My Doctor said that YES the band is still on the market but he doesn't believe for long. So he said he'll do a band if you absolutely beg him to, but highly discourages it and suggests the sleeve. Over all, it's more natural because there are no foreign objects in your body and there is no jumbling the way you were originally created. Just taking something out.

Also, little personal story to add: my mother's good friend had the band and she is sick from it almost everyday. It doesn't stop her from eating at all, she's now over 400lbs. It only slows her down, but not by much.

I believe when food is an addiction and/or is something that's hard for individuals to control (could be due to medical conditions etc), the sleeve forces better diet, encourages exercise, and better Portion Control overall.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

I was scared about the sleeve because of the permanence too, but the idea of constant doctor's visits and adjustments, and a foreign object in my body wasn't appealing.

My doctor explained to me that the sleeve is more natural, because the food travels the same way, there's just a smaller stomach.

Also, since you don't make the hunger hormone, people have an easier time adjusting to the sleeve.

Since the band is adjustable, there are a lot more failures because people will "cheat" and ask for less restriction.

4 months out, and I'm loving my sleeve!

I had the band for 7 years after 5.5 years it slipped and once that happened I started to gain my weight back, I have regained 40 of the 70 pounds I lost, had the band removed almost 3 weeks ago, having gastric sleeve in July.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon had us take a class before surgery and there was about 14 of us in there and 5 of them were in there to get the band out and the sleeve done. I didn't talk to them much but one of them told me she was having to many issues with the band

I had the band for 3 years and I was miserable. Had the band removed and converted to sleeve 8 days ago and now I can totally feel the difference! I'm feeling great and super excited to continue with my progress.