Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things I can no longer have....

After I have the RNY what are the things that I'll never be able to eat/take again. I've read that we aren't allowed celery. What other foods, meds, etc will I no longer be able to have?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Well I don't know about the celery... and I'm a newbie to all of this...

But I don't think there are things you specifically cannot eat ever again. I think there are things that may not agree with your pouch, and you may dump, although the percentage of actual dumpers is pretty low.

I think what I am going to try and concentrate on is learning to eat differently. For the first year, I want to avoid things like sugar, bread, flour, anything with high carbs. I want to concentrate on eating a healthy low carb diet. During the first year, I want to maximize the benefits of my new pouch and only make good choices.

I know folks who are several years out, and honestly I've seen them eat/drink most anything (yes, even sodas)...

Well I don't know about the celery... and I'm a newbie to all of this...

But I don't think there are things you specifically cannot eat ever again. I think there are things that may not agree with your pouch, and you may dump, although the percentage of actual dumpers is pretty low.

I think what I am going to try and concentrate on is learning to eat differently. For the first year, I want to avoid things like sugar, bread, flour, anything with high carbs. I want to concentrate on eating a healthy low carb diet. During the first year, I want to maximize the benefits of my new pouch and only make good choices.

I know folks who are several years out, and honestly I've seen them eat/drink most anything (yes, even sodas)...

What I'm getting at is that I've read no more NSAIDS and things like that. I understand that each person has certain tolerances but I'm starting to pick up on some things are forever a no no.

Some of those "forever no-nos" vary by program. You will see lots of debate on here about it, so ask your doctor. Common ones include: straws, alcohol, carbonation, straight fruit juice, high-calorie liquids (smoothies!), caffeinated beverages, smoking, soft bread, chewing gum, celery sticks (chopped or de-stringed is usually OK), NSAIDs, drinking and eating at the same time (including Cereal with milk and chunky soup), high fat/high sugar products, popcorn, slider foods. That's all I can think of at moment. :)

It's better to think of all you -can- eat (in small doses). Eventually you will be able to eat most everything. Some foods you will need to be more cautious with than others, some may not agree with you any longer.

@@jennmonterrozo Yes, I've read a lot about NSAIDS... Sorry, I thought you were only referring to foods.

Apparently the NSAIDS can really affect our pouches because of ulcers. I haven't specifically asked my Dr though.

I had the sleeve a little over 2 years ago. I can eat most anything I want to but I don't because I know it is bad for me. I still have a lot of restriction so I can't eat a lot. Sugar and sweets are too easy to eat so I try to avoid them all together. The first year to 18 months for any surgery is the healing period but also called the honey moon period because that is when you will lose the fastest. After that, weight loss slows down because you can eat more and carbs and fats are easier to eat. Use this time to learn what is healthy because if you go back to eating that stuff you used to eat, you will gain weight and its just not worth it.

I had the rny 12 weeks ago and just ate celery yesterday...still alive! Your pouch will let you know what you can have. I avoid carbonation, nsaids, sugar and bread

What about enteric coated meds and extended release meds? I've read somewhere that they don't stay in your system long enough to be broken down right. I'm considering RNY if that makes a difference.

@@jennmonterrozo - that is correct. Those are no longer post-RNY

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

As far as NSAIDS are concerned, I can no longer take those because I will develop ulcers. I haven't had the surgery yet but I know I can't have those ever again. As far as eating anything after a year, I won't be doing that, as I know that if I go back to eating the way I did before I had surgery, I will gain weight again. I'm not going through all of this to end up back where I started from. My eating and exercising lifestyle will change for the rest of my life.

There are only a few things that are on my never again list. The most critical one is soda pop. Drinking anything while eating is a no no permanently and NSAIDs. Now keep in mind that if you have severe arthritis your Bariatric team will work with you on an NSAIDs program that will protect your pouch. I have severe arthritis in my spine and several other joints but I choose not to risk a potential ulcer.

Alcohol after year 1 is fine in small amounts but realize you are drinking your calories.

I have been eating raw celery once 8 weeks out, it has never bothered me. I just chop it in salads and Soups small.

I use a straw everyday! It helps me drink all my liquids. You simply have to learn not to gulp.

I am now 21 months post op and have tried just about everything else I once did. I just don't like things like greasy foods, sweets or heavy carb foods. I crave good quality Protein, great fruit and veggies.