Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to start again?

For the past few months, I have become a slug :blink:. My weight loss has been successful - over 145 lbs in a bit over ten months and that has really put a damper on my enthusiasm to exercise. I exercised every day for months after surgery, but then I stopped because of a trip, and even tho I swam every day, it seemed to break up my rhythm. Now I can't find the rhythm again. I felt great after exercising and I feel weaker now, but I just can't seem to get going. My weight loss has slowed down now, and I'm hoping that inspires me to start exercising again to tone my body (much needed). Any tips on how to start exercising again?

whenever I have fallen off the exercise bandwagon, I usually have to lie to myself to get started again

ie/ you only have to do it for 15 minutes or lets just do 3 days a week. usually within the month I am back at it full steam because it just makes you feel so much better overall.

I trick myself by getting into an audio book I really like. But I don't let myself listen to it unless I am exercising. It seems to jump start things. I'm an odd duck on this though, but give me a good Tom Clancy novel and I am going to walk/run/lift for an hour or more.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to try them!

For the past few months, I have become a slug :blink:. My weight loss has been successful - over 145 lbs in a bit over ten months and that has really put a damper on my enthusiasm to exercise. I exercised every day for months after surgery, but then I stopped because of a trip, and even tho I swam every day, it seemed to break up my rhythm. Now I can't find the rhythm again. I felt great after exercising and I feel weaker now, but I just can't seem to get going. My weight loss has slowed down now, and I'm hoping that inspires me to start exercising again to tone my body (much needed). Any tips on how to start exercising again?

I am a fan of taking classes. Can you find a Water aerobics class or dance class that looks fun? For me, having a set date and time to attend is more motivating than just exercising whenever when I am in a slump. Whether you decide to take a class or not, it really helps me to schedule time on my calendar. You can also set a short term goal related to exercise. Is there a fun run or other activity you can sign up for that will give you something to prepare/train for?

Our community has a fitness challenge this summer with weekly prizes/drawings, t-shirts, etc. for participating. If you like loot, something like that can be motivating.

@OKCPirate I really like the audio book idea and I may try that. I listen to audiobooks in my car so I need to find one that I can use specifically for exercising.

@@OKCPirate I just recently saw some scenic videos of running or hiking paths around the world - and I think when it gets too hot for me to walk outside (July/August here) I am going to pick a few of these up to make the treadmill more tolerable. if that fails me it will have to be a video somehow, I don't think I can walk for exercise and read at the same time. you are way more coordinated than I am, apparently!

sometimes it is hard to get back into the exercise routine - maybe you can find a buddy to exercise with? The accountability thing always works for me. I also arrange my workouts so that I do my least favorite thing first - and end with my most favorite (the pool). I guess it is like the carrot and the stick thing lol. I also remind myself how great I feel both physically and emotionally after I have spent a couple hours working out. One other thing I do is to wear an old t-shirt - size 3x - to exercise. I kept a couple of them. Since I am now a size 12/14 - it really serves as a reminder as to how far I have come - and exercising 5 times a week has been an important part of that.

There are some good suggestions here - find something that works for you - happy exercising!!

@@OKCPirate I just recently saw some scenic videos of running or hiking paths around the world - and I think when it gets too hot for me to walk outside (July/August here) I am going to pick a few of these up to make the treadmill more tolerable. if that fails me it will have to be a video somehow, I don't think I can walk for exercise and read at the same time. you are way more coordinated than I am, apparently!

I can't read and walk either, but I am an auditory learner, so I pick up a great deal just by listening.

Thank you all for the suggestions. They are excellent and have inspired me to get my butt in gear!

I've been wanting to listen to the Hamilton Soundtrack. Not an audio book, but the same concept - I'll only listen to it working out. Since it;s a play, that should get a few workouts in!!!!! Not as much content as an audio book, but hopefully the spark I need to start again!

I trick myself by getting into an audio book I really like. But I don't let myself listen to it unless I am exercising. It seems to jump start things. I'm an odd duck on this though, but give me a good Tom Clancy novel and I am going to walk/run/lift for an hour or more.

Heck yes !

Great strategy, there.

I've been more into the music in the gym, but a really good book by Tom Clancy, Stephen Hunter, Vince Flynn (R.I.P.) or Brad Thor will be a nice change on the extended treadmill sessions.

Gonna adopt this practice. Thanks.

Thank you all for the suggestions. They are excellent and have inspired me to get my butt in gear!

I've been wanting to listen to the Hamilton Soundtrack. Not an audio book, but the same concept - I'll only listen to it working out. Since it;s a play, that should get a few workouts in!!!!! Not as much content as an audio book, but hopefully the spark I need to start again!

Good job in getting back into the swing of things.

@@fernandfj

Keep gym clothes in a bag in your car, and when your driving home from work, drive past the gym, and pull in real quick, get out and get to the door of the gym as fast as you can....don't think a second thought about what your really doing...once your at the door, the chances of you talking yourself out of it is very slim. Go in and only work out 10 minutes if that's all the energy you can muster. The next day won't seem so hard...it's always that initial first day back that gets ya.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

I get excited with exercise and then bored really quickly. Since my surgery I have had phases of:

1 - Couch to 5 K (finished the 5k then was over it)

2 - Jillian Michaels 30 day shed & shred (finished beginner and intermediate DVDs, so 60 days of this)

3 - Going on really long walks

4 - Yoga classes

5 - Jogging 10km 3 times a week

6 - Strength/weight classes (this is where I am at now)

As soon as you feel you don't want to go or are making excuses, try something different. And it doesn't always have to be full throttle, walking and yoga are great also.