Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Putting pressure on myself - scale obsessed

Hi all, I was sleeved on the 26th of May.. Sw was 250 and I'm now 237.. Has anybody else found themselves obsessed with weight loss and doing all they can to get it down? For the past week I've been walking 7 miles per day and I've been really focusing on how much Protein I'm taking in etc, but I've only lost 1 pound since Friday.. and it's starting to stress me out.

I'm getting emotional because I really, really feel this pressure from people around me and myself to see excellent results and at the moment it's just not happening for me as quick as others. Please don't judge me, I just really need support right now

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yes, I think it's natural. You have already invested a lot in this decision and you deserve to enjoy those dividends. A lot of people on this forum talk about NSV's (non scale victories), but be honest, it's all about the scale!

I hit my goal 3 months ago and my maintenance program is to eat like I'm still on my post opt diet M-F and loosen up on weekends.

I still weigh in almost every day. Now I weigh just under my goal weight on Monday morning and drop 3-4 pounds by Friday.

I'm still scale obsessed!

For the amount of exercise you are doing you may not be getting enough calories in, causing slow weight loss. Maybe try backing down from the 7 miles a day until you can consume more. Maybe do two or three miles

And kudos to you for being able to do that much so soon! I was very weak until about month two. I was getting dizzy and light headed trying to jump into a lot of exercise that soon.

For the amount of exercise you are doing you may not be getting enough calories in, causing slow weight loss. Maybe try backing down from the 7 miles a day until you can consume more. Maybe do two or three miles

And kudos to you for being able to do that much so soon! I was very weak until about month two. I was getting dizzy and light headed trying to jump into a lot of exercise that soon.

I didn't even think of that.. So you think maybe the exercise im doing vs the calories I'm taking in is leaving me at a deficit which is slowing down the weight loss? Wow I'm just beyond frustrated, I have never wanted to be more active in my life and now I'm potentially being punished for it =\

I had the quickest recovery, honestly I've had zero problems and came off painkillers and meds day two, I've been in no pain ever since even all of my incisions have scabbed up, fallen off and I just have the smallest scars now. Lucky in that sense but.. I don't know, ergh I'm just frustrated because I'm being more health and weight concious than ever and not being rewarded

You've lost 13 pounds in two weeks. Relax. You're doing great.

Thank you, I think i get too caught up in other peoples success stories and it makes me put pressure on myself.. It's not even been two weeks yet and prior to surgery I'd be lucky to lose two pounds in a week.. So I get it. It just doesn't seem to want to stick in my mind.

Everybody has a different story with different advice and sometimes it's hard to know what I'm supposed to do.

I think it could definitely be something to consider. I have that problem now 4 years post op, if I don't up my caloric intake for the days I work out, I stall or even fluctuate up a couple tenths of a pound.

And lipstick lady is right, 13lbs in two weeks is great!

Putting pressure on yourself is very understandable and something that most of us around here are dealing with, too.

You are among like-minded peeps.

Stay in accord with your surgeon's instructions and be consistent with the exercise. Temper that effort with a bit of restraint so you don't get injured. Trust me.....taking time out for injuries to heal sucks bigtime !!!

The unwanted weight will come off. Have faith and maintain your discipline. The scale will be your friend in no time at all.

And quit looking at the scale. Go by how your clothes feel. Another great tool? Find a pair of leggings and a tank top. Stand in a doorway and have someone take your picture front, back and sideways. Do this in the same out fit, from the same distance every week.

What you look like is a much better measure than the number on the scale.< /p>

I had surgery around the same time as you. I was really excited with week 1 and I haven't lost any weight week 2. So there it is - huge investment and huge change and it's still going to take time. I know for me the sooner I accept this - the better will be. Good luck hang in there! :)

Edited by specialkiddomom

I had surgery around the same time as you. I was really excited with week 1 and I haven't lost any weight week 2. So there it is - huge investment and huge change and it's still going to take time. I know for me the sooner I accept this - the better will be. Good luck hang in there! :)

Well atleast im not alone there, maybe it's a common thing for week two to not be as forgiving! You're right though, it's truly not a quick fix

So I called up and spoke to the support team with the private clinic I used, and they have advised me that they don't believe in a 'starvation mode' and I can excersize as much as I want and that it will help.. Even if I'm eating less calories then I'm burning from my 7 mile walks.

I've promised to not step on the scales until Friday, and continue doing what I'm doing.. I told her she better be right otherwise I'll be storming down to her clinic to raise hell haha.

I've been down all day over it, I don't know why I even weighed myself I was feeling fantastic.. And I should be thankful it's pound down.. Not gained, and I've had days where I lose two in one day, I haven't had a bm, I could be bloated.. Could be many things.

Thank you for the advice dub and lipstick, honestly it's been a great help ❤️

I'm going through the exact same thing! My surgery was also May 26, & the past 3 days I've been stalled at 190. SW 205.

I've been beating myself up about it, but I think I'll stay off the scale until Friday as well.

So glad I found this site, the support is awesome!! :)

I understand where you are coming from with people asking for numbers. A week after surgery people where asking every day. I just told them this was about changing my way of eating healthier . The scale is just a number. Well would you believe the same people still ask often and I refuse to answer. Just tell them don't weight myself but at doctor appointment . Don't let anyone rush your journey . This is a time to really focus on eating right and following your program and if you are really lucky you will be a slow loser. That truly a blessing !!!!

I had my sleeve on May 12th and I've only lost weight every other week. scale didn't budge week 2, then lost 4lbs on week 3. Tomorrow is weigh in day for week 4 and I'll bet I haven't lost anything again. Luckily, I took measurements so I know I'm still losing inches.. it's nice but not nearly as nice as when the scale moves! I've been getting just under 10,000 steps (about 4 miles) and calories around 600-800.

That's just to say, my surgeon said everyone loses different so don't compare yourself. Harder to do but he's right.

Good luck and keep up the great exercising!!