Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No pre-op diet required. How should I prepare?

My surgeon feels the liquid diet makes you weak, he also said since most people don't eat much the first week out he rather have them stronger heading into surgery... My bmi is 40, not sure if it's different directions for higher bmi

There is liquids only the day before, they want you to drink at least 6 8 oz glasses of Fluid.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

Edited by nyteacher125

I'm glad I don't have that two week liquid thing, you want to be at your strongest for surgery... Is your place a center for excellence?... I'm trying to find some common threads to figure out why some have liquid diet and others don't.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

I'm glad I don't have that two week liquid thing, you want to be at your strongest for surgery... Is your place a center for excellence?... I'm trying to find some common threads to figure out why some have liquid diet and others don't.

Einstein

Yes my hospital is a center of excellence and my doctor is one of the best. When I asked him why he doesn't do pre op diet all he said is it's not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Einstein

Mine was a Bariatric Center of Excellence. I didn't have a liquid diet either. Just high Protein, low carb with NO starches or sugars. I mentally referred to it as the bacon diet because my surgeon said bacon was fine!

My program is a Center of Excellence, and surgeons from around the world come here to train with my surgeon to learn to do BWLS robotically. My surgeons require a two-week, high Protein, full liquid pre-op diet, basically the same diet that we follow for 2 weeks post-surgery. I, too, have been wondering about the variation in pre-op diets. They say the goal of the pre-op diet is to burn glycogen from your liver, which makes it smaller/firmer, and therefore easier for them to manipulate during surgery. I don't know. I understand that logic, but I don't understand why some surgeons don't bother with a pre-op diet at all, some only do a couple of days, some do 2 shakes and a mini-meal, etc. I had to cancel my surgery due to illness, the day BEFORE the procedure, so I've done a 2 week pre-op diet. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't a picnic. I have rescheduled my surgery, so my 2 week pre-op diet is supposed to begin while we are on vacation. I have no qualms about postponing the start of the diet for 3 days, until we get home. I'll do 11 days instead of 14, and I'm not going to worry about it. I am, however, going to continue with my "healthy" eating regime: Protein shake or yogurt shake for Breakfast and lunch, with a moderate, high protein/low carb meal for dinner. I have no doubt that I'll be fine.

The doctors want you to eat better for the 2 weeks prior to shrink your liver. If it is to large they may sew you back up and tell you to follow the high Protein low carb plain for a week or two. I did the plan off amd on for those two weeks and had clears the day before surgery and my surgery 2 days ago went great.

I think there is a misunderstanding by some on the pre op diet. My pre op diet was not liquid only. It was two Protein drinks, a couple of low fat Snacks and a meal that included lean Protein like fish or chicken (4oz), a small salad an small portion of fruit. The all clear liquid diet was just the day before surgery. In no any did this diet plan mak me feel weak. In fact I felt great.

In summary I had a low fat, high protein ,low carb diet (not liquids only) for two weeks before surgery. The clear liquid only was the day before surgery only. This diet sequence eliminated the "last meal syndrome" and prepared me for my new life.

It just makes perfect sense to start eating correct before surgery and it resulted in me losing 12 lbs. before surgery. Shrinking the liver is an important part of pre op.

Yeah, pre-op diets are all over the place. Mine was high Protein and low carb for two weeks pre-op but not a liquid diet at all.

My recommendation would be to try to eat healthy for the last couple of weeks before surgery -- meat, fish, dairy, green veggies, fruit, tree nuts, olive oil. Skip stuff like sweets, trans fats, deep fried foods, and highly processed foods. I wouldn't restrict calories necessarily, at least not to an extreme degree. This can keep you healthy, strong, free of carb and sugar cravings, and at least not gaining weight as you head into surgery. I think practicing post-surgery behavior is more important than practicing post-surgery eating, though it is a good idea to wean yourself from caffeine and carbonation, as others have mentioned.

Using a kitchen scale and measuring cups religiously, tracking your food in myfitnesspal or another similar app, not drinking with or immediately after eating, setting aside time to walk or do other exercise -- these are great habits to build up so that you can get right back in the swing of things post-op.

Good luck to you!

@@P7rancher There's no misunderstanding - many have clear liquid diets pre-op - for varying time frames.

Trying to go on a clear liquid diet for more than the day before surgery would be a tough requirement and it's easy to see how this could make someone weak. My concern was and is that there is confusion over the clear liquid diet the day before surgery which everyone has to follow and the pre op diet leading up to the day before surgery which can vary. My day before clear liquid diet excluded Protein drinks and emphasized Clear Liquids like chicken broth and Poweraid Zero.

As a "newby" I understand how confusing terminology can be and just wanted to be clear on the distinction between a pre op diet leading up to surgery and the day before diet.

@@P7rancher There's no misunderstanding - many have clear liquid diets pre-op - for varying time frames.

Trying to go on a clear liquid diet for more than the day before surgery would be a tough requirement and it's easy to see how this could make someone weak. My concern was and is that there is confusion over the clear liquid diet the day before surgery which everyone has to follow and the pre op diet leading up to the day before surgery which can vary. My day before clear liquid diet excluded Protein drinks and emphasized Clear Liquids like chicken broth and Poweraid Zero.

As a "newby" I understand how confusing terminology can be and just wanted to be clear on the distinction between a pre op diet leading up to surgery and the day before diet.

Some are on 4 weeks liquid only! Seems crazy to me!