Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid Preop Diet Journal

Hi all,

I thought I would start a new thread to talk about the preop diet. Please join me in venting, complaining, whining, bragging, advice, and/or encouraging words etc. I just feel kind of alone tonight.

Well I am on Day 2 of the liquid preop and have done it so far with no cheating but some of it has been kind of tortuous for me. I have 10 more days left and I keep thinking if only I could have a green salad with a 3 ounce chicken breast on it with fat free dressing - would that really hurt me??? I have to choke down the shakes - they are sickening sweet and we are allowed broth which I had for dinner but oh well you know what I am going thru right?!? I did lose three pounds so far - not bad for two days so I know I am doing it right but 10 days seems so far away - and then you have to go thru the surgery and the post op diet. Gee this is going to be harder than I thought - gosh darn it! Thanks for listening to my whining. I am a wonderful person but darn do I whine. I know this is so worth it! Please join me on this new adventure/journey.

Thanks for listening.

Michelle:ranger:

I'm on day 1 and we have the same surgery date!!!

I did surprisingly well today and even walked for 45 minutes tonight.

What kind of shakes are you using - maybe you should switch to something you like better? (I'm using Unjury)

I can have blended Soups (and broth) pops, Jello, pudding, yogurt, and applesauce. Maybe my diet is a little more liberal than your's?

You can do it!!!!!

My pre op diet was the same: 3 Meal Replacements, and 1 real meal per day. Do you just have to drink shakes, or do you have a calorie goal. I found out that I had a 1200 calorie a day goal. after that I didn't really stick to shakes, but kept myself under or at 1200 cals a day and it worked fine. The surgeon said my liver was good. I am not saying go against your surgeon, but ask your nutritionist if you have a calorie goal.

Whine away. Michelle! We've been there and know what you're going through.

I had several near misses with the OR so I did eventually cheat some and was unapologetic -- felt I deserved it after all poor little me had been through. Until I came out of a two hour surgery -- that should've taken a half hour! It was complicated because my liver was still huge.

So hang in there. Look at it this way, you want EVERY potential advantage maximized....right?

Get creative with your shakes. I found if I blended some yogurt or Jello into it it improved the taste dramatically.

And we'll still be here when you need to whine more!

Just wanted to tell you to HANG TUFF!!

It's sooo hard. I thought i was going to throw in the towel the first few days.. it got easier after ab. 5 days.

Once the sugar got out of my system i felt GREAT.. like a different person ..

good luck!!! and I know it's tuff.. kee strong. YOU CAN DO IT!!

I'm on day 1 and we have the same surgery date!!!

I did surprisingly well today and even walked for 45 minutes tonight.

What kind of shakes are you using - maybe you should switch to something you like better? (I'm using Unjury)

I can have blended Soups (and broth) pops, Jello, pudding, yogurt, and applesauce. Maybe my diet is a little more liberal than your's?

You can do it!!!!!

Hi Candle, thank you for the encouraging words. Your preop diet does sound a little better than mine. Mine is 6 SF Carnation Instant Breakfasts, Clear broth, SF Jello and Popsicles, Crystal Lite, and Water. Thats is it. Do you like the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury? Do you mix it with Water or milk? That was smart of you to walk today too. I bet you feel great. Thank you for writing - we have the same band date WhoooooHooooooo!!

My pre op diet was the same: 3 meal replacements, and 1 real meal per day. Do you just have to drink shakes, or do you have a calorie goal. I found out that I had a 1200 calorie a day goal. after that I didn't really stick to shakes, but kept myself under or at 1200 cals a day and it worked fine. The surgeon said my liver was good. I am not saying go against your surgeon, but ask your nutritionist if you have a calorie goal.

I think my calorie goal is about 1000 calories. I called the nutritionist today and she said I had to drink all 6 of the SF Carnation Instant Breakfast drinks so I would get all the Protein in. But I can only do about 3 maybe 4 - so far I have had only about 775 calories. Thanks for the reply!

Whine away. Michelle! We've been there and know what you're going through.

I had several near misses with the OR so I did eventually cheat some and was unapologetic -- felt I deserved it after all poor little me had been through. Until I came out of a two hour surgery -- that should've taken a half hour! It was complicated because my liver was still huge.

So hang in there. Look at it this way, you want EVERY potential advantage maximized....right?

Get creative with your shakes. I found if I blended some yogurt or Jello into it it improved the taste dramatically.

And we'll still be here when you need to whine more!

Thanks for reminding me why I need to stick to this preop diet. With a higher BMI my liver is probably large too and I do want Every potential advantage maximized!!! Thanks for the tips on the shakes too! But most of all thanks for letting me whine. You sure have been through so much. How are you feeling? Are you home? How is it going? Take care!

Just wanted to tell you to HANG TUFF!!

It's sooo hard. I thought i was going to throw in the towel the first few days.. it got easier after ab. 5 days.

Once the sugar got out of my system i felt GREAT.. like a different person ..

good luck!!! and I know it's tuff.. kee strong. YOU CAN DO IT!!

Thanks for the encouragement. How are you feeling? You are 3 days post op right? How is it going for you?

With people like you on this website I can do this!!!!

Thanks,

Michelle

The unjury is ok - it's not great but nothing is. :heh:I liked the choc, hated the vanilla, and the unflavored is ... unflavored :heh:

My doc suggests using Medifast but I didn't care for it and it was about 5-6x as expensive!!

SF Carnation Instant Breakfast is on my list too but let's compare:

1 Injury choc shake w/ 8oz skim milk:

190 calories (100 Injury + 90 milk)

29 grams Protein (20 Injury + 9 milk)

17 Carbs (4 Injury + 13 milk)

1 Carnation w/ 8oz skim milk:

150 calories (60 Carnation + 90 milk)

14 grams Protein (5 Carnation + 9 milk)

25 Carbs (12 Carnation + 13 milk)

I don't think I could drink all that Carnation. I did make a vanilla (I got a box of vanilla and 1 of choc) one tonight with 3 frozen strawberries and it was really good - but VERY sweet! I get a craving for something sweet at night.

Things I've experimented with adding to my shakes and even if you stick with the Carnation you could too: cinnamon, 1/4 banana, a few strawberries or blueberries or chunks of peach, sugar free choc sauce (the liquid kind to make choc milk with. 25 calories for 2 tablespoons) and/or teaspoon sugar free Peanut Butter.

My calorie goal is <1200 and >85 grams of protein.

I'll be your diet buddy if you want

Candle

Yes lets be diet buddies! I see that you are in New York - I am your neighbor here in Pennsylvania! I like your tips on what to add to the shakes. I am determined to get thru this cheat free but I am only taking this one day at a time. Tomorrow is day 3 for me and "they" say it gets better after that. Did your doctor tell you how much he wants you to lose? Thanks for everything!!!

Hey Shelli16415---you and I are on the same misery path together. We also share the same date. I started my liquids on Monday. I can have the Protein shakes; I put a drop of vanilla extract in mine and they taste better. I can have broth, yogart, cream Soups, like tomato; thank goodness I like Tomato Soup. I lost 5.2 pounds by Wednesday. Just take it a day at a time. Think that the end result will be a slim and healthy you. You can do it. Hang in there.

Thanks for reminding me why I need to stick to this preop diet. With a higher BMI my liver is probably large too and I do want Every potential advantage maximized!!! Thanks for the tips on the shakes too! But most of all thanks for letting me whine. You sure have been through so much. How are you feeling? Are you home? How is it going? Take care!

Absolutely -- the Internet was made for whining! LOL It's there when you need to do it and you can walk away if you get tired of hearing it! :pound:

I'm feeling good. I came home Wednesday afternoon and I'm getting more mobile and less sore every day. I'm anxious to be up and doing. My daughter just dropped by with the grandkids -- they're off to buy uniforms for back to school. :think I SO would have loved to go with them. And next year I'll be useless cause I'll be wanting to shop for me!

LOL

Nana, see I still don't know why some Dr's only let you have liquids and some let you do calories. I will be banded on Monday 8/20. You are right, this is soooo hard. Thanks for the information.

Ok you guys probably want 2 strangle me but my pre-op diet is completely different.

Breakfast-chocolate whey Protein with skim milk

Snack-sugar free pudding or popscicles or Atkins advantage shake

Lunch-weightwachers,smart start, or any 300 calories meal with half cup of veggies and broth.

Snack-sugar free pudding, popscicles, just as above.

Dinner-same as lunch

snack-but usually I dont eat until later due to my schedule so I dont need a snack.< /p>

I walk for 20 minutes 3 times a wek also.

I've lost 8 pounds since monday.