Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all. I'm pretty new here and just recently made the decision to pursue weight loss surgery. I've always been happy being a fat woman, I've never been thin, but I can't do it anymore. My tipping point was when we moved a few months ago. We moved into a second floor apartment. A few years ago that wouldn't have been a problem, but now I can barely manage to go up and down once a day. I have injured my ankles many MANY times in my life including breaking each of them thanks to being a complete klutz, and I injured my knee years ago when I was younger in a dancing accident and was told then I'd likely need surgery. Well it's 25 years later, no surgery because of my weight, and now I can barely move. I have three kids and can't take them anywhere, can't play with them, I'm in constant pain. I also have high blood pressure that my primary can't get under control despite me being on 3 different meds. I also have hashimoto's (a thyroid disorder) and chronic pain. Because of my thyroid problem it makes it even more likely that I'll develop diabetes. I know losing weight won't fix everything but it surely will help a lot.

I haven't talked to my primary yet but I'm going to call tomorrow for an appointment. I would prefer to call a surgeon directly but I can't find any in my town. :( Well, google did find one place that offers mini gastric bypass but my research, and chatting with all my friends who've had the surgeries, has led me to wanting the vertical sleeve instead. So not sure how that's going to play out. If anyone knows of any weight loss surgeons in the southern Colorado area (preferably Pueblo) that take medicaid I'd LOVE to hear about them.

I did have my gall bladder removed last year... is that going to cause a problem with having the surgery? I can't find info on that. At least my experience with that surgery has shown me that I can survive surgery, which is one of my biggest concerns.

I know I'm rambling. I'm just excited to start the process and very nervous at the same time.

Hi all. I'm pretty new here and just recently made the decision to pursue weight loss surgery. I've always been happy being a fat woman, I've never been thin, but I can't do it anymore. My tipping point was when we moved a few months ago. We moved into a second floor apartment. A few years ago that wouldn't have been a problem, but now I can barely manage to go up and down once a day. I have injured my ankles many MANY times in my life including breaking each of them thanks to being a complete klutz, and I injured my knee years ago when I was younger in a dancing accident and was told then I'd likely need surgery. Well it's 25 years later, no surgery because of my weight, and now I can barely move. I have three kids and can't take them anywhere, can't play with them, I'm in constant pain. I also have high blood pressure that my primary can't get under control despite me being on 3 different meds. I also have hashimoto's (a thyroid disorder) and chronic pain. Because of my thyroid problem it makes it even more likely that I'll develop diabetes. I know losing weight won't fix everything but it surely will help a lot.

I haven't talked to my primary yet but I'm going to call tomorrow for an appointment. I would prefer to call a surgeon directly but I can't find any in my town. :( Well, google did find one place that offers mini gastric bypass but my research, and chatting with all my friends who've had the surgeries, has led me to wanting the vertical sleeve instead. So not sure how that's going to play out. If anyone knows of any weight loss surgeons in the southern Colorado area (preferably Pueblo) that take medicaid I'd LOVE to hear about them.

I did have my gall bladder removed last year... is that going to cause a problem with having the surgery? I can't find info on that. At least my experience with that surgery has shown me that I can survive surgery, which is one of my biggest concerns.

I know I'm rambling. I'm just excited to start the process and very nervous at the same time.

Having your gallbladder out won't affect your surgery. A lot of times they end up taking them out during surgery anyways because they find stones. Hope you're able to find a good surgeon close to you.

There are many professions involved in the process of weight loss surgery. These include insurance coordination, nutritionist, surgeon, hospital where pre-op physicals will be performed, training sessions, surgery hospital, psychologist, sponsoring and supporting bariatric surgery support group meetings. Therefore I would focus on finding a Center of Excellence in Colorado for Bariatric Surgery. It's like a full meal deal. Everything under one roof.

I did a quick search and found there were two in Denver which were the Denver Center for Bariatric Surgery and Rose Medical Center. But searching using google showed there were many more throughout the state.

Consult your general family doctor and get him onboard, find a Center of Excellence and then attend a initial seminar.

Please make a list of questions for your primary and call your insurance company to see what their requirements are. You may have to do 3-6 months of supervised weight loss. Also, know that your Hashimoto's may add a layer of complication - as you may need to prove consistent treatment and compliance with your medical regimen to qualify for surgery. (For my insurance company, untreated thyroid disease gets you an immediate rejection.) Ditto what James said regarding a Center of Excellence. Some insurance will only cover if done at a Center of Excellence. Good luck on your journey.

I don't know of any but welcome to our group! I look forward to hearing how you do.

my oldest daughter just moved to Pueblo. she and her fiance are looking for a place to live - she says it is lovely in CO.

Thank you for the tip to look for a Center of Excellence in Colorado for Bariatric Surgery. Sadly that shows there are NONE in Pueblo. :( I don't have reliable transportation to take me over an hour away every month (or possibly more, it sounds like). :( Now I'm honestly not quite sure what to do. I have hated this stupid town ever since moving here and now I hate it more. :(

As for the hashimoto's, I've been treated for my thyroid for about 18 years now. Is that still going to cause a problem?

Is there even a point in calling my primary now? If I end up finding a way out of town I'll have to do my appointments up there too, right? Like the nutritionist, psych, etc... or can I do the nutritionist and psych here in my town?

Edited by WitchySar

You'll want to check with your provider... Also maybe try calling one of the centers of excellence to see what they recommend. Sometimes programs work with smaller community physicians to make sure all requirements are met before surgery.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

Well I have an appointment with my primary on Wednesday. Maybe I'll be able to do the nutritionist and psych eval here in my town. My husband said we'll do whatever it takes to get me to appointments out of town, including renting a car, but financially it'll be too expensive if I have to go more than once a month.

Check with Medicaid. They may actually provide transportation for you to the appointments if you qualify.

I've already been approved for medical transport through medicaid. Unfortunately the limitation is that they will only pick up in my county. But since the closest center to me is in Colorado Springs, which is a different county, could get a ride TO the appointment but not home.

Talk to the surgeon before making a decision on what type of surgery. Gastric bypass takes the diabetes risk away but the sleeve does not. Money for transportation is the least of your worries but don't let that stop you. Your health is worth it.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using the BariatricPal App

There is no way I will agree to a bypass. No offense to anyone who chose that option for themselves but I've researched the differences a lot and I'm not willing to take those surgical risks. Hell it took me a long time to agree to the risks of the VSG. Plus every person I know personally who has had the bypass had severe side effects, not so with the sleeve. My risk of diabetes will never be taken away since I have a thyroid disorder, it's always a chance. Simply being a lower weight will help with limiting the risk though.

WitchySar, what kind of severe side effects did your friends have with bypass? I have had bypass and so far I'm down 38 lbs, feeling really good, and no problems (other than learning to eat slower after overeating a few times).

With less weight will come less insulin resistance. My blood sugars are phenomenal now, compared to before surgery when they were out of control, even on an insulin pump and eating low carb. My resistance was extreme, and it is now improving (Thank the Lord for that). This was the whole reason I had the surgery. The weight loss is a bonus.

So far I have no insulin resistance. My doctor says I'm not even prediabetic. I'm only concerned about that because it's possible for hashimoto's to trigger diabetes. No amount of weight loss will get rid of that risk, so it's not so much a concern for me.

As for their side effects I forget all the specifics now, it's been a while since I've talked to each of them. But each friend that had the bypass nearly died, either during surgery or within the couple months following it. It's great that it works for a lot of people, but I'm not willing to go into a surgery that has greater risks associated with it.