Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think it's possible but not probable. Have you already had a sleep study? If so - that would move things along faster.

One test I never had to have was a sleep study.

I got delayed by a couple months due to an abnormal mammogram (which took a shocking 4 weeks to get an appointment for, then two more weeks for them to read the results) followed by a biopsy (another week to get appointment for that) and then it all turned out to be nothing.

My advice, get the required tests done immediately. Pap smear, mammo, blood work, ekg, colonoscopy, endoscopy. Those have to have been done within the past year in order to "qualify." I lost a lot of time making most of these appointments after I had reached my pre-op weight loss. Check with your program to make sure you know all of their required tests early, and get them out of the way!

Edited by Shaydi.Laine

I do not need several of those including mammo, Pap smear, colonoscopy, endoscopy.

Every surgeon and insurance is different so you need to know what yours require.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hopefully everything will fall into place for you quickly with your insurance and you can have surgery this summer. If it's crucially important to have it in the next couple of months you might want to explore self-paying for the surgery through a qualified, reputable surgeon in Mexico. My BMI was too low to meet insurance eligibility requirements, but even if they would have covered the VSG for me I probably still would have gone to Mexico to avoid all the hoops they set out and to move up the time line. I'm a professor and wanted to have the surgery in August with ample amount of time to recover before the fall quarter began in September. I was able to schedule surgery within a few weeks of contacting my surgeon's office about it. My out-of-pocket expenses if I could have gone through insurance would have actually still been about $1000 more than self-paying ($4200). I get follow up care through my endocrinologist and have consulted with a local registered dietician. Just a thought.... best wishes to you. :)

My surgery was three months after attending the informational seminar. I had no insurance mandated waiting period, and it took me that long to schedule all the necessary appointments. I was working full time at the time though, and scheduling was difficult because of my job. I thought the 3 months was a fast turnaround.

I have heard that having a BMI to that extreme, it would be quickly moved along to prevent further weight gain and complications. But, I have also heard that a 3 month requirement of trying to lose weight on your own may have to be done.

I have Horizon BCBS. Had my first consultation 1/23/16 and had my surgery 3/14/16. My insurance required 3 nutritionist visits, a psych eval, and a letter of medical necessity. The surgeon however required a breathing test, sleep study, upper endoscopy, and bloodwork. I was able to get all of this done in 6 weeks over about 16 doctor's appointments. Instance approval took 24 hours.

It's possible but you have to be very organized and follow up with all of the Drs often. Also, it is very dependent on your surgeons availability and how motivated his support team is to quickly move you through the process.

Good luck!

I have the same mentality. I want to get it done within the month. And it's happening. I also have BCBSIL. I'd have it earlier but my surgeon and his team member will be out of town next week and the week after so I have to have it June 27. I will just have to go back to work July 1. Where do you live?

My appointment is June 8 and I will definitely updated after I leave the docs office.

I have found so much strength and knowledge from this app. It baffles me that everyone arrived at the same spot with different war stories to tell. Something tells me my experience will be no different.

My insurance requires 3 months of attending bariatric meetings (each one month apart), 3. Nutrition counselings (each one month apart), and one psych eval. Then it takes 3-4 weeks for insurance approval, then about a month booked out for surgery. I think the process is a little long, 4- 6 months. Best of luck though! I hope your insurance allows a quicker process!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

Jane I live in Crystal lake going to barrington

@@Jane I think it may be possible! My insurance didn't require the supervised diet either.....I went to my initial consult with the surgeon on March 15th and my surgery was done on May 16th......so depending on when schools starts back it may be close. Good luck!!!

It is possible, but as others have posted it just depends on the requirements by your surgeon.

My first ever appointment was on April 28th, and my surgery is on June 15th. I was lucky and had few requirements to complete in addition to the health requirements.

I was in your boat, OP. I had an extremely limited window in which to get the surgery due to school and work obligations, and I went under the knife a month after my first doctor's appointment. However, as a nurse, I had a strong medical and nutritional background, and I had done mountains of research as well. Only you truly know if you're ready, well-informed and totally prepared. Whether it is jumping the gun depends entirely on you. If you feel it's too much, too soon, don't force it. If you feel you're committed and have a strong system of support in place, go for it.

It was six weeks from first visit to surgery date for me. It could have been as little as 4 weeks but I delayed an appt by two weeks. My insurance didn't pay.