Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating too much 8 days post op? I struggle to know

I really anticipated I would get more clear signals when to stop and how fast to eat. I've never thrown up but can easily eat a cup of sugar free pudding or half cup of a Soup. I notice when eating meals I pause and wait for hiccup and then stop. But I don't feel "full" and I often feel "hungry" I swear my stomach even growls - I think I fall into that dreaded is my pouch too big - have I sprung a leak??? Would I know?

I know everyone has different criteria but at 9 days post op I'm allowed soups- and some

mushy textures after 3 Protein Drinks and of course stay away from sugars and such

Thank you for your advice in advance- other than a raging allergic reaction to steri strips and insomnia and 2 days of volcanic acid reflux (I feel this has been better than anticipated)

Starting weight 270

Total loss 27 lbs

Post Op loss 11 pounds

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by specialkiddomom

I am 10 days post op and just started soft foods. Having similar feelings. Hungry. Stomach growling. I'm eating slow and not much because I just started today. Thought I would feel full. Don't know why I dont.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

I also had the growls but it takes a little while for your body to get adjusted it well get better I'm at 4 months out

juan phone

As soon as I mentioned feeling hunger, my doctor said it was actually acid and that I needed a stronger acid medication. Once I started that, no more "hunger."

Measure your portions and stick with that as a guide. Don't rely on "full" to tell you when to stop eating. It's a very bad habit we all learned too well. Eating till we were full is how we got fat in the first place. And as for feeling hungry, like others said it's probably acid or thirst. Take a PPI (or increase your dose), try chewing tums or Rolaids when you think you are hungry, and drink more.

Just so ya know, I'm 18 months out and the stomach noises never go away fully. They don't always mean you're hungry :) in fact, mine rarely do. My sister in law is 6 years out and her stomach is just as loud as ever. Truthfully, most if not all "hunger" you feel this soon out of surgery is head hunger. Stick to your plan, measure, and keep yourself busy so that you don't become bored and have time to wonder "am I hungry? I can't tell" :)

It is unlikely you will feel "full" on full liquids or even puree. They go through your sleeve quickly. Don't eat based on being "hungry" or "full". True hunger is unlikely at this stage. Get your Protein and fluids - don't worry about anything else but following your plan.

I was sleeved May 11 and have not had true "Hunger" yet. I do take 40 mg omprezole because acid was an issue. My surgeon said that it could be because of acid you feel hungry.

For those that take two doses of Prilosec, do y'all take them at the same time or spaced out? And what time of day? I've been taking just one in the morning.

I take one 20 mg in the am and one 20 mg in the evening

You've gotten great advice here!!! I ditto the acid=hunger suggestion. That was my experience both early sleeve days and while I was pregnant.

Also eat measured portions early out and even when those nerves heal and you realize you do have a "stop I'm full" don't eat till full, eat to your planned amount or until not hungry anymore. Eat slowly because sometimes you will take a bit too many and will seriously regret it! Give your body time for the signal to reach you.

And that hiccup may well be your signal! Mine is the very first noise coming from my stomach... Sort of a growl. Speaking of which....

My stomach "growls" non stop even at 2.5 years out sometimes. But I've learned that those growls are not hunger but the noises my new stomach makes when digesting!

Wow, I got a lot of info reading this thread! Thanks everyone! I was wondering why my stomach makes noises and I also thought I was the only one having acid problems right after surgery. Now I know I'm not abnormal!

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

I am now 8 weeks post op but I had all the same issues early on except for the acid, I never really felt full so I asked my Dr and he explained that all the nerves that send signals have been cut and it takes awhile for them to heal afterward so I waited and things did change and feel differently as time passed now when I eat a few bites I can feel the fullness and have to stop so just give it some time

Sent from my LG-D850 using the BariatricPal App

I really anticipated I would get more clear signals when to stop and how fast to eat. I've never thrown up but can easily eat a cup of sugar free pudding or half cup of a Soup. I notice when eating meals I pause and wait for hiccup and then stop. But I don't feel "full" and I often feel "hungry" I swear my stomach even growls - I think I fall into that dreaded is my pouch too big - have I sprung a leak??? Would I know?

I know everyone has different criteria but at 9 days post op I'm allowed soups- and some

mushy textures after 3 Protein drinks and of course stay away from sugars and such

Thank you for your advice in advance- other than a raging allergic reaction to steri strips and insomnia and 2 days of volcanic acid reflux (I feel this has been better than anticipated)

Starting weight 270

Total loss 27 lbs

Post Op loss 11 pounds

Omg everything u described is the exact same with me. I lost 10 pounds post op. I don't feel full. I eat a cup of the sugar free pudding and I ask myslef like am I full?? Lol I even hear growling as well. I had surgery July 27th, I had himotoma the day after my surgery I was taken back into surgery and they flushed everything out and gave me a drain. I lost alot of blood. I stayed 5 nights 6 days in the hospital. I was so nauseous I couldn't even smell broth at the time. But yea I'm struggling with knowing if I'm full or not. Or when do I stop not a stop. It's annoying. I keep thinking I stretched my pouch already. Lol

♡sammywammy ????

mushy textures after 3 Protein drinks and of course stay away from sugars and such

Starting weight 270

Total loss 27 lbs

Post Op loss 11 pounds

Omg everything u described is the exact same with me. I lost 10 pounds post op. I don't feel full. I eat a cup of the sugar free pudding and I ask myslef like am I full?? Lol I even hear growling as well. I had surgery July 27th, I had himotoma the day after my surgery I was taken back into surgery and they flushed everything out and gave me a drain. I lost alot of blood. I stayed 5 nights 6 days in the hospital. I was so nauseous I couldn't even smell broth at the time. But yea I'm struggling with knowing if I'm full or not. Or when do I stop not a stop. It's annoying. I keep thinking I stretched my pouch already. Lol

♡sammywammy

Precisely why we are given a volume to eat. For example....a meal size equals 1/4 cup or less in volume.

Please connect with your nutritionist and surgeon to get a clearcut understanding of the volumes you meals should consist of.

Eating until full is a flawed concept.