Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to get before surgery

I have got a lot of things like sippy cups bc I'm one that ends up getting three sips rather then one. Little food containers and ect. But what kind of Protein do you buy? And what brand? I know my taste will change but I don't want to spend a pay check on the powders does anyone know any good deals or know of any coupons? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Better than sippy cup you can get about 100 medicine cups from Amazon for about $3-5. I had to reorder after my first week. And I highly recommend that you DO in fact make a serious investment in your Protein. Since you will no longer be spending money on other food you can have a spending spree on your protein and liquid and Vitamins and still save money. I highly recommend Premier Protein vanilla shakes, Vitamin Water Zero, and Pacific "Bone Stock" chicken broth. You can get these all on Amazon. The Premier Protein are READY to drink...i.e. No powder. They are $7.62 for 4 or $1.90 each and if you were getting a less expensive meal pre op let me know. The Bone Stock is ridiculously expensive at about $5 for two 8 oz servings but again that's $2.50 per meal now which is NOT expensive. Just also keep in mind that you will not sit down the day you get home from the hospital and chug an entire 8oz of broth or an entire 11 oz premier protein at once. It will take you at least an hour to get down that much of either. If you are buying powder Bariatric Advantage is the highest quality and best nutrition that there is and their Orange Cream flavor is very nice. If you skimp on this stuff, you are only skimping on yourself. If you get cheap vitamins you will not absorb them so well. If you get plain Campells chicken broth, well that is more of a salty liquid than a protein because it only has like 1 gram of protein per serving. Pre op I preferred and bought lots of beef consommé and chocolate shakes but post op I did not want ANYTHING remotely beefy or chocolatey. I'm 9 months out now and will have about 1 square a day of some REALLY good dark chocolate with almonds but I was about 3 months out before I really tried any. SPEND your paycheck on your nutrients:-) Do NOT shortchange yourself, this is not the time. Short changing ourselves is what got a lot of us to need the surgery to begin with. Take care of YOU girl. YOU Deserve it!!! [emoji4]

I would advise that you obtain a pill splitter/pill crusher. After surgery I was unable to swallow any Vitamin that was medium to large size. This condition returned back to normal after a couple months.

The three most important things after surgery are Protein, Vitamins and fluids. Don't skimp on these. You will need to find a Protein shake that you can tolerate after surgery. You don't have to like it, just tolerate it. So after surgery, experimentation is a must.

I am post op as of Wed. Definitely get heating pad. I'm using it right now to try to relieve the trapped gas in my left chest and shoulder. SF Popsicles have been so good. I set my timer on my phone for 15 minutes. I get up and walk and drink 2 medicine cups of Fluid.

I have a picky NUT, and I was only supposed to use Bariatric Advantage, Chike, and New Direction Protein powders for the first 6 months. It has to do with whey Protein Isolates being the main ingredient, and supposedly the best type of protein to absorb after RNY. You can always check with your NUT to see what they recommend. I love Premier Protein, and drank them for Breakfast every day prior to surgery.

ChapStick for the hospital...

Heating pad was really nice, and I actually use it now, 3 weeks post-op, because I'm always cold, so I sleep with it at night (it turns off after a couple of hours).

I drank hot and sour Soup, strained, from the local Chinese restaurant. My nurse said it was OK as long as it was strained, and it gave me a different option from the plain chicken/beef broths. I really crave savory foods now, I'm so over sweet stuff! LOL

sugar free Jello and popsicles are great too!

I found muscle milk the second week. It's 25 grams of Protein and not too much sugar. I think it has 3 or 4. Over ice it's great. I also sip an Isopure a day. That's 40 grams of Protein. There's 65 right there. Add a chicken breast to that or tuna, and I'm getting over 85 grams. It's so weird how I don't crave starchy, bread like foods, soda, or sweets (yet). I hope I'm over that coz I was bad. I'm almost five weeks out. Good luck! Oh, the first week, sf pudding helped one in a while and bone broth was HORRIBLE, so I had wonton broth strained at a Chinese restaurant. Yum at the time! Just be sure to get your protein, so your energy stays up and you are less likely to lose a lot of hair. Also, your liquids. We are all different so it's trial and error along the way. This site has helped me a lot through the process. Good luck! It gets better and better each day! (and I am taking up less space in the universe too!) win win

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

I found muscle milk the second week. It's 25 grams of Protein and not too much sugar. I think it has 3 or 4. Over ice it's great. I also sip an Isopure a day. That's 40 grams of Protein. There's 65 right there. Add a chicken breast to that or tuna, and I'm getting over 85 grams. It's so weird how I don't crave starchy, bread like foods, soda, or sweets (yet). I hope I'm over that coz I was bad. I'm almost five weeks out. Good luck! Oh, the first week, sf pudding helped one in a while and bone broth was HORRIBLE, so I had wonton broth strained at a Chinese restaurant. Yum at the time! Just be sure to get your protein, so your energy stays up and you are less likely to lose a lot of hair. Also, your liquids. We are all different so it's trial and error along the way. This site has helped me a lot through the process. Good luck! It gets better and better each day! (and I am taking up less space in the universe too!) win win

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Which isopure flavor do you prefer?

Sent from my XT1565 using the BariatricPal App

I'm still pre-surgery but have been shopping like crazy on Amazon based on things I've read here. I bought:

2oz Jell-O shot cups

Heating pad

Baby spoons

Bento box for bringing my lunch to work when back to solids

Protein powder

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Surgery is on June 15th so I am trying to get everything ready. I have been focusing on things I will need the first few weeks of surgery. I do like the idea of the sippy cup and bento box too.

Bariatric Melts- B12, Multi V, Biotin

Abdominal Binder- Might not need this but I am going back to work 6 days after surgery and might use it if I am uncomfortable.

Medicine cups- on Amazon super cheap

liquid Tylenol, gas strips

I already have a heating pad so I didn't need to get that. I also picked up a night shirt (the old fashion long teeshirt type) so that I won't have to pull pants up and down so much. I am going to need a cloth nonwired sports bra too.