Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm just beginning the whole process, so bare with me. And I know this sounds really stupid and am completely aware of how bad this is for me...but:) My biggest concern about having surgery is drinking after. I don't drink on a daily or even weekly basis, but probably 4 times per year have a day long binge social drinking activity ( tailgating, camping, a winter festival we go to etc). Usually is beer or hard cider and we drink a lot. Am I still going to be able to do that? It's really my only time to see my friends due to distance and children etc. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I know for me... If I have a drink, my weight loss stalls. I never lose. Doesn't mean I don't have a drink now and then but if I do.. I know what to expect.

Beer and anything else with carbonation is probably not a good idea.

I'm only 21+ months post-VSG, so understand I'm coming at this with that kind of WLS resume.

Anyway, here's my take on your quarterly binge-drinking escapades.

I will bet you aren't going to drink NEARLY as much as you used to drink at these events. You'll likely be more alcohol-sensitive, and I'm betting that your natural self-protective instincts will kick in and keep you from over-doing it, especially since you're not a regular drinker.

However, and this is the good part, I don't think that drinking less would / could / should harsh your party buzz at all. More good news is you'll be with friends who won't be trying to harm you. Or I hope they won't.

I think the important thing to ask yourself is -- could I still have a good time if I have 3 drinks over X hours instead of 12 drinks?

Imma bet you could. :)

I think you can still have alcohol if you want, but in moderation. I drink what I want, beer, wine, etc. But there are always alternatives to drinking. Not having some alcohol is not the end of the world. What is more important to you, healthy weight loss, or one night of drinking?

I am only 10 days out but in a few months I plan on drinking in moderation. (not beer just some liquor and maybe some wine). I didn't have this surgery to completely deprive myself of things I used to and still do love I had this surgery to get my fat butt shape. I will when the timing is right have a slice of pizza again or enjoy a couple of drinks out with friends but it will all be in major moderation. Best of luck in the surgery!

Fat butt in shape** I meant to say

Dr says not to drink period and really won't discuss anything about it. I just wanted to know if I would be physically able to and what would happen if I did. I fully understand that this is a commitment to a healthy life, which binge drinking doesn't fit in. I just wanted to try to see if others had any experience with it, whether or not I choose to do it post surgery. Thanks so much for your help, just trying to get an idea of what is in store for me.

My granny knew a lady who got gastric bypass and drank she ended up dying but it was a every other day thing for her.... So idk it really doesn't seem worth it to me if you are with your friends you haven't seen you shouldn't need a drink bc there are so many things to talk and laugh about, shouldn't need a push to do it

My granny knew a lady who got gastric bypass and drank she ended up dying but it was a every other day thing for her.... So idk it really doesn't seem worth it to me if you are with your friends you haven't seen you shouldn't need a drink bc there are so many things to talk and laugh about, shouldn't need a push to do it

I would imagine she had some other issue that contributed to her passing

I am only 10 days out but in a few months I plan on drinking in moderation. (not beer just some liquor and maybe some wine). I didn't have this surgery to completely deprive myself of things I used to and still do love I had this surgery to get my fat butt shape. I will when the timing is right have a slice of pizza again or enjoy a couple of drinks out with friends but it will all be in major moderation. Best of luck in the surgery!

Fat butt in shape** I meant to say

This is what I do. I still go out, i still eat burgers and pizza but in moderation. I have lost 175 lbs

My surgeon says no alcohol again ever as well. The nutritionist in his office disagrees with him. She recommends holding off for at least 3 months and then being aware that it may metabolize differently when trying it at first after surgery.

The program I started says no alcohol at all. Besides the calories, it can dehydrate you and people that have had Bariatric surgery are at a much greater risk for developing alcoholism, even if you never had issues prior to the surgery.

If having a social drink was something that was enjoyed before surgery I don't see why after your stomach had healed you can't try having one again... I think everything in moderation...I agree 100% with @aronbd....

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein