Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long are you guys taking off work? I'm planing to take 6 weeks, I was wondering if that is too much? I'm not sure what to expect after surgery.

I was planning on two

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

lol... I'm taking 4. Two seems to be the average, but people people have occasionally commented that they were still pretty tired for several weeks.

I only have to be in the office on Monday and Wednesdays. I'm hoping to have my surgery done on a Tuesday (my surgeon does Tues. and Thurs.) and return to work the following Monday. I plan on working from home by Friday. I do solely desk work - so absolutely no physical labor is involved.

Yeah 2 weeks seem to be average but I have also read how people feel tired after a few weeks. Thats what I'm scared about the most. I don't want to feel like that at work. So if some people take 4 weeks off than 6 weeks don't seem too crazy. :)

I was thinking that I would take 1 week off and then work remotely for a couple of weeks. Seems like I need to take more? We have a good short term disability policy at work so I will be covered at least!

Keep in mind that you will probably be on a liquid diet up to two weeks prior to surgery. Then when you get home, you will be on liquids, then purees, then soft foods, and then maybe at four to six weeks you might start regular foods as tolerated. That's at least month on liquids before starting food.

Another reason people are weak and sapped of energy is also because when you do start eating, it will be less than 1/2 cup per meal. It will take you many weeks to get to where you can drink enough Water at one time to actually quench your thirst.

I was already retired when got sleeved, but had I been working I would have been wise to take four weeks off. A desk job will be easier to come back in to than a construction worker. If you can get the time off, take it.

Thank you MissMac I think it will be wise to take the time. I have the short term dis at work that will cover it as well. :) Thanks @KristenLe I think the time off will be great both mentally and physically. 6 weeks doesn't seem too far off wack anymore.

Edited by motherboard

I took off 8 days. But I work at a desk most of the day.

2 weeks off and no heavy lifting for a few weeks after that.

well, dang. I came here to check the median - I was going to try to go back to work the next week. Doc usually does surgeries on Tuesdays, so I was hoping to be back at it the following Monday. I telecommute though, so I'm thinking it won't be too bad as long as I don't have any in office mandatory stuff.