Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exactly why I'm not telling anyone. Double edge sword for you - on the one hand at least you work with people with a medical background so they understand (well, many I'm sure) why somebody would look at bariatric surgery in the first place. On the other hand they see outcomes, good and bad, and focus on the bad outcomes (as most people would do). There's nobody I know that would think anything but what most typically think - 'it's the easy way out, why don't you just eat less and exercise more'. Even if I were to tell people how much I've struggled with my weight most of my life, they wouldn't get it - how many things I haven't done because of my weight, how many things I regret because of it, how many missed photos there've been (my older kids' high school grads, university grads, any kind of special occasion). My mom passed away recently - I hadn't flown home to see her in 2 years because seeing everyone - family and friends - was just too embarrassing for me. In the end, I had to go back for her funeral and of course saw family anyway. We miss way too much when we feel bad about ourselves. But people who don't suffer from being overweight or obese don't and can't see this. (What sort of bad outcomes are your co-workers referring to btw?)

So sorry about your mom! My dad had a heart attack and died in 2012 and I know I'll be headed down the same path if I don't do this, which is what ultimately led me to choosing the sleeve. Re: bad outcome, in particular, we have another coworker who had either the sleeve or RNY, I'm not sure which, but she tends to go long enough without eating that her blood sugar gets dangerously low and she's had seizures at work because of it. I don't mean to sound insensitive, but based on her personality it seems more to me like a self care issue that's compounded by the surgery. Though admittedly, we're understaffed and breaks often aren't a thing, but we all know that and should plan I guess? (Actually work shouldn't be that awful but it is. But I have to and will make sure that I make 30 seconds to stop and take a drink, take a minute to pee, and a couple minutes to eat a spoonful of Peanut Butter or something between patients or while charting. If I'm there late charting, then so be it.)

24 minutes ago, lornasaurusleeve said:

So sorry about your mom! My dad had a heart attack and died in 2012 and I know I'll be headed down the same path if I don't do this, which is what ultimately led me to choosing the sleeve. Re: bad outcome, in particular, we have another coworker who had either the sleeve or RNY, I'm not sure which, but she tends to go long enough without eating that her blood sugar gets dangerously low and she's had seizures at work because of it. I don't mean to sound insensitive, but based on her personality it seems more to me like a self care issue that's compounded by the surgery. Though admittedly, we're understaffed and breaks often aren't a thing, but we all know that and should plan I guess? (Actually work shouldn't be that awful but it is. But I have to and will make sure that I make 30 seconds to stop and take a drink, take a minute to pee, and a couple minutes to eat a spoonful of Peanut Butter or something between patients or while charting. If I'm there late charting, then so be it.)

I can see that it could be hard to take the time to eat or drink in your job. But like you say it's a matter of 30 seconds to take a drink, or a bite of cheese or Peanut Butter. Can you carry a small container of Water in your pocket - or a small snack? I guess you'll have to get creative!

I can see that it could be hard to take the time to eat or drink in your job. But like you say it's a matter of 30 seconds to take a drink, or a bite of cheese or Peanut Butter. Can you carry a small container of Water in your pocket - or a small snack? I guess you'll have to get creative!

Yes! My dietician suggested that I always keep Protein Powder or prepared shakes with me for crazy days so I can steal sips here and there. Also we are allowed to eat any of the stuff we have in the patient kitchen so that leaves milk (and juices if my blood sugar got that low!), little half sandwiches I could pull the turkey off of, sugar free pudding and Jello, single serving packs of peanut butter and string cheese at the very least that are always available even if I bring nothing myself!

I hear this almost everyday. I am getting the sleeve on April 17th and my mother is constantly trying to talk me out of it because my aunt had The bypass and it went terrible for her. She sends me videos and stories of other people who had it and complications....

It's to the point where now its really messing with me and making me not want to get surgery but at the same time something in me is telling me I will be fine. Conflicted is what I am lol.

My plan - tell nobody. Nobody except my husband. In fact, I don't think I'll tell my kids. I would tell the older ones, but they have a girlfriend and boyfriend and I do not want them to know. So - I'll have a dinner and have all over, then say I'm going to get a minor surgery and will be home in a couple of days. If it's the hospital in the far south of the city, maybe that'll be better as so far for them to go. I'm going to get advice from my GP as to what to tell them I had done. Maybe some 'woman ' problem or something :-)

Hernia surgery is a good one [emoji3]

"You're not even fat."

"Why would you do that to yourself?"

You can do it without it, just: don't eat after x; walk more; take x..."

clearly none of that worked

I hear this almost everyday. I am getting the sleeve on April 17th and my mother is constantly trying to talk me out of it because my aunt had The bypass and it went terrible for her. She sends me videos and stories of other people who had it and complications....
It's to the point where now its really messing with me and making me not want to get surgery but at the same time something in me is telling me I will be fine. Conflicted is what I am lol.

Do what you need to do for yourself! I think a lot of people that do this are well meaning, they just don't take into account the complexity of each different person's case. Some may want to sabotage or discourage you to hold you down, but your mom is hopefully just in the worried category!

40 minutes ago, lornasaurusleeve said:

Yes! My dietician suggested that I always keep Protein powder or prepared shakes with me for crazy days so I can steal sips here and there. Also we are allowed to eat any of the stuff we have in the patient kitchen so that leaves milk (and juices if my blood sugar got that low!), little half sandwiches I could pull the turkey off of, sugar free pudding and Jello, single serving packs of Peanut Butter and string cheese at the very least that are always available even if I bring nothing myself!

That's perfect! Even if you didn't pack much of a lunch, you have healthy options easily available. Couldn't be better! Your co-worker that was having issues really should have been looking at ways to eat and drink more often - perhaps she has other pre-existing conditions that have made the new lifestyle more difficult for her.

I had my sleeve on Jan 17, 17. I have told only family and of course hubby knows. Everyone else Co-workers, friends etc. Will not know. My medical history is private. So I say just keep it to yourself and if and when you decide to tell someone other then family its up to you. Good luck and happy losing.

That's perfect! Even if you didn't pack much of a lunch, you have healthy options easily available. Couldn't be better! Your co-worker that was having issues really should have been looking at ways to eat and drink more often - perhaps she has other pre-existing conditions that have made the new lifestyle more difficult for her.

Yes it seems like she's got other stuff going on. I haven't seen her have any issues now so hopefully it's under control for her! I'm sure it will be an adjustment. Those 12-14 hour days are long and not kind on the body in many ways! I'm lucky I've got some resources at hand there!

I have been telling everyone, but that is just me.
I have received some negative feedback, but I don't care.
People that actually care about me are super excited for me.