Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When do we stop focusing on food?

I'm 3.5 weeks post op and my life has been completely focused on food since surgery. The first two weeks were the worst b/c I had to drink my little 1oz cups every 15 minutes. But now, we still must make sure we get in all of our Protein & Water, not go over 600 calories, keep the carbs low, make sure you eat/drink your protein on time or you'll get hangry. I'm constantly planning what my meals will be for the next day, and for the next phase. I sure hope I'm able to turn the focus off of food sometime soon. It's all consuming. Anyone feel the same? Any veterans have advice or words of wisdom?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am 3 years post-op RNY surgery and most things related to Vitamins, fluids and Protein are routine.

For example, I separate my Vitamins into 3 groups. When I get up in the morning I put all my calciums in a small bowl. Every few hours I pop a few until they are gone. That way I get the right dosage. If I am up and about in town, I put my calciums in a small plastic sandwich bag with a zip lock and carry it around in my pocket. This works for me. All the other vitamins I put in weekly pill boxes. I have one for night time and one for the morning. I put any vitamins that contain Iron in the night time pill box and the others in the morning pill box. Generally a pill box will hold 2 weeks supply of vitamins. So I only need to fill them once every two weeks.

This article provides some of my experiences and may be of help. It also includes recipes at the end. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

No Veteran here, but I understand your frustrations...

I am 11 days out. It's the same for me... although I am not bothered by it right now. I think going into this I knew it was going to be a big commitment during this time... during these first 6-12 months, it's not any different really than any other diet we've tried. You have to commit to making the right decisions so that you will see the right outcomes.

I think that in time, it will become more habitual, which will make it all easier. This is the time to learn and form new habits. Take it on with a Great Attitude and it'll get easier (obviously not always the best attitude, we're also releasing a bunch of hormones, so I may sound like the happy witch today, and the wicked witch tomorrow ;) )

I am 3 years post-op RNY surgery and most things related to Vitamins, fluids and Protein are routine.

For example, I separate my Vitamins into 3 groups. When I get up in the morning I put all my calciums in a small bowl. Every few hours I pop a few until they are gone. That way I get the right dosage. If I am up and about in town, I put my calciums in a small plastic sandwich bag with a zip lock and carry it around in my pocket. This works for me. All the other vitamins I put in weekly pill boxes. I have one for night time and one for the morning. I put any vitamins that contain Iron in the night time pill box and the others in the morning pill box. Generally a pill box will hold 2 weeks supply of vitamins. So I only need to fill them once every two weeks.

This article provides some of my experiences and may be of help. It also includes recipes at the end. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Maybe you misread my post but I'm talking about food not vitamins. I've got my pill box down pat.

NEVER STOP WE'RE ADDICTS

It never stops. I am almost one year post op, at goal and still think about food non-stop. What I have ate so far, what else I still "need" to eat and what I "want" to eat!

It never stops. I am almost one year post op, at goal and still think about food non-stop. What I have ate so far, what else I still "need" to eat and what I "want" to eat!

That's a bummer. I don't want to have to keep obsessing over food. I want to live my life.

Well you shouldn't be obsessing over food but always aware and planning what you are eating. in order to keep your weight off you have too. It is when you stop being aware and focusing on food that you WILL gain. Planning will become your favorite thing to do!

I am two years post op this month and have been at goal for about 14 months. I don't know if I obsess about food, but I still have to be constantly diligent about food. I still log my food daily, I watch my carb and Protein amounts. I do have days where I splurge and eat treats, but I am mindful of what goes in my mouth.

As you become further out its a different kind of "obsessing". In the beginning it is so challenging to learn how to eat again and how to get all your protein and fluids in- seems that consumes your day. Later it just transitions into being aware of what you are eating.

I just consider my obesity is in remission and if I don't watch things it could rear it's miserable head again.

I'm eight months out and I don't feel like I have to obsess over food. Everything has become pretty routine now. I'm used to portioning and using my kitchen scale. And I have a pretty good handle on how much Protein the things I normally eat contain. Before I go out to eat, I look for a menu online and scope out something I can eat. Most places have chicken or a salad or something that works. So yeah, it's all no biggie.

Edited by gpmed

I am two years post op this month and have been at goal for about 14 months. I don't know if I obsess about food, but I still have to be constantly diligent about food. I still log my food daily, I watch my carb and Protein amounts. I do have days where I splurge and eat treats, but I am mindful of what goes in my mouth.

As you become further out its a different kind of "obsessing". In the beginning it is so challenging to learn how to eat again and how to get all your Protein and fluids in- seems that consumes your day. Later it just transitions into being aware of what you are eating.

I just consider my obesity is in remission and if I don't watch things it could rear it's miserable head again.

Yes, this is what I mean. It's not that I'm trying to obsess over it, I have to. Making sure I get all my protein in at under 600 cals. Then also being aware how long I will be away from home & making sure I'm prepared by bringing my food or Protein Drink (and water) and not allowing myself to get too hungry (low blood sugar, etc). I log my meals the day before so I know I'll get everything in. I don't mind logging, I've done that for years. It's just the constant worry about food. And also I still get that obsessing feeling sometimes if I think about my next meal (like oh yum I can't wait to eat it) but I think that is lessening now that I'm on soft food stage & not as hungry.

Under 600 calories? I was never told to stay under that... Is this the norm? Not attacking just curious

I'm 3.5 weeks post op and my life has been completely focused on food since surgery. The first two weeks were the worst b/c I had to drink my little 1oz cups every 15 minutes. But now, we still must make sure we get in all of our Protein & Water, not go over 600 calories, keep the carbs low, make sure you eat/drink your Protein on time or you'll get hangry. I'm constantly planning what my meals will be for the next day, and for the next phase. I sure hope I'm able to turn the focus off of food sometime soon. It's all consuming. Anyone feel the same? Any veterans have advice or words of wisdom?

Why are you trying not to go over 600 calories?

Are you getting in all of your protein and fluids?

I think the focus on planning food will never end... As a teacher we have a saying if you don't plan for kids, they'll plan for you... I kind of see it the same way with food, if you don't plan your meals you will wind of making poor choice.. I do believe the longer you follow high Protein eating the easier it will be and as you move along in the process you will find more and more sources of protein..600 calories does not sound healthy to me..

During my trip to traders joe yesterday, I found hemp seed... 10grams of Protein per serving, good for adding to yogurt etc...

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

For me to lose weight pre-op and not have to worry about food, my doc put me on 3 Protein Shakes a day and a lean Protein dinner. My cal intake is 900-1200 a day. 600 seems extreme, but if that is what they said then you should stick to it. Again, not attacking. Just seems odd, but everyone is different and I would be consumed by what I ate at that level. I think journaling and planning is the best way to go for anything. Good luck.