Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone's goal weight still leave them "overweight" or "obese"?

For me, it's not about BMI, but how I physically and mentally feel.

My doc didn't set a goal for me. He made it clear (by what he did NOT say) that my ultimate weight loss was up to me, not him. That felt pretty empowering.

I picked 150 pounds as my goal, even though it was 10 pounds less than I'd weighed in the last 40 years. I remember feeling great at that weight in my early 30s. It also one pound heavier than "normal." (I am 5'5".) But mostly I just wanted to be mobile, feel better, wear normal-sized clothes, feel like my appearance reflected the person I truly am.

Well, shockingly, I did reach 150 pounds. Then over the next eight months I lost another 15 pounds. And here I sit at 135 pounds. FYI, losing these last 15 pounds are what it took for my old, arthritic knees to finally stop hurting!

Pre-op I'd never have thought this weight would look good on me. And it has taken a while for my eyes / brain to adapt to my new look. But now 135 feels and looks good to me.

For me, it's not about my BMI -- but how I feel.

I don't even care about weight. I wanna feel good all the time and keep my diabetes from reading is ugly head again. I am four weeks post sleeve and already feeling wonderful. Won't know what I'm down in poundage until I have my next appointment on June 9. Congrats to all your successes!

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

That site that @@LipstickLady posted a link to is interesting, but I feel some of those pictures show how people seriously do not realize how overweight they are and have unrealistic views of their bodies. I'm sorry - a serious pet peeve of mine is women/girls that choose to wear clothes that are 5 times to small for them just so they can say they are a certain size... when they really should be wearing something that flatters them even as someone that is overweight/obese. I know I'm not saying this right and I apologize if I offend anyone... but things like this just get under my skin a lil bit... because my sister does this and it makes me want to smack her. grant it though she des'tdo it to this extreme but she still does it.

http://www.mybodygallery.com/photos-49811-body-shape.htm?StartAt =3#searchForm

I just don't understand people that think they look good wearing things like that. :(

Edited by Raenh

That site that @@LipstickLady posted a link to is interesting, but I feel some of those pictures show how people seriously do not realize how overweight they are and have unrealistic views of their bodies. I'm sorry - a serious pet peeve of mine is women/girls that choose to wear clothes that are 5 times to small for them just so they can say they are a certain size... when they really should be wearing something that flatters them even as someone that is overweight/obese. I know I'm not saying this right and I apologize if I offend anyone... but things like this just get under my skin a lil bit... because my sister does this and it makes me want to smack her. grant it though she des'tdo it to this extreme but she still does it.

I just don't understand people that think they look good wearing things like that. :(

I dunno I think one should wear what makes them happy and comfortable. As long as it's covering up the essentials. As for the girl in the pic I don't know that she's going out in public dressed like that. She's taking a pic for the site to show what a body that size looks like, the whole point of the site.

I applaud her for her confidence and the guts it takes to post that picture. I didn't have that. Still don't really.

Oh and my guess is the size 4 was a typo for 14

Since she also says size L

@ I've always gone by the saying wear clothes tight enough to show I am a woman and loose enough to show I'm a lady.

I was just wondering if anyone else's goal weight still leaves them in the overweight or obese range according to BMI. My goal weight is 172lbs, which would put me at a BMI of about 29.5 (still overweight). When I get there, I might decide to keep going to 155lbs, which would still leave me overweight with a BMI of 27.5. Is anyone else in the same boat? Do you think we should be aiming for "healthy" weights?

I was just told what my goal weight was and it still leaves me 40lbs over weight I was a little confused.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I think that is why I don't say anything to my sister, though I have been known to give her looks (i'm kinda expressive with my looks - sorry) - if she's comfortable wearing it fine - but the thing is... she really isn't, she fidgets in her clothes - pulling them up or down because they don't fit right, but she Still insists on wearing them.

and you're right - the fact that she is comfortable enough in her own skin to post a picture of herself is worthy of praise. I just don't like her clothing choices.

I shouldn't judge her and I know that. I've been overweight my whole life... since I was 9 years old, and anytime my mom tried to MAKE me wear fitting clothes I hate it, so maybe that's why I don't understand wearing clothes so small. It doesn't even look comfortable. :( and if you're not comfortable in what your wearing, why wear it?!

I get what you're saying but I think it's unfair. You can't help how you feel but voicing those opinions to anyone, especially your sister, whether it be through words or facial expressions is wrong unless you're asked.

I don't get dressed for you, I get dressed for me. If you think I'm uncomfortable in my choices, that's for me to figure out, not for you to point out.

Unless you squeezed me out of your vagina, your opinion of me is none of my business.

I think that is why I don't say anything to my sister, though I have been known to give her looks (i'm kinda expressive with my looks - sorry) - if she's comfortable wearing it fine - but the thing is... she really isn't, she fidgets in her clothes - pulling them up or down because they don't fit right, but she Still insists on wearing them.

and you're right - the fact that she is comfortable enough in her own skin to post a picture of herself is worthy of praise. I just don't like her clothing choices.

I shouldn't judge her and I know that. I've been overweight my whole life... since I was 9 years old, and anytime my mom tried to MAKE me wear fitting clothes I hate it, so maybe that's why I don't understand wearing clothes so small. It doesn't even look comfortable. :( and if you're not comfortable in what your wearing, why wear it?!

Comfort is both psychological and physical. If it makes her feel good it may be worth the discomfort (high heels anyone?)

You are the only one that needs to be happy with what ever is a comfortable and healthy weight for you.

I have been holy hell judged for years about my body. Even after goal people feel the need to define and label you for any reason. The only validation you need is from yourself.

Seeing some style police in here..lol.

heheh - that's the thing with my sister - I may not have given birth to her, but I did raise her as my parents were never home - or if they were it was usually after she was already fed and put to bed. From the time she was brought home until I left her when she was 19 to move to texas (granted she came down with me 4 months later) - she was(and still is) my world, she kept me from making a lot of bad choices in my life because I had to be there for her. So, basically she is/was the child I will never have :)

You're right though - now that she is grown I really shouldn't try to push my views on her, but its hard to keep them to myself when I'm STILL trying to teach her things. She has come so far, and she is a better person then I ever will be. I tell her that and she just gives me the whatever manda look.

Edited by Raenh

I don't know - I know a lot of ladies that really ARE comfortable in high heels. One in particular, she wears them even to the pool.

Maybe that's what you're trying to make me see - my idea of comfort is totally off from hers... :)

heheh - that's the thing with my sister - I may not have given birth to her, but I did raise her as my parents were never home - or if they were it was usually after she was already fed and put to bed. From the time she was brought home until I left her when she was 19 to move to texas (granted she came down with me 4 months later) - she was(and still is) my world, she kept me from making a lot of bad choices in my life because I had to be there for her. So, basically she is/was the child I will never have :)

You're right though - now that she is grown I really shouldn't try to push my views on her, but its hard to keep them to myself when I'm STILL trying to teach her things. She has come so far, and she is a better person then I ever will be. I tell her that and she just gives me the whatever, manda look.

If your words or gestures make her unhappy or uncomfortable, you're right, you shouldn't push. :)

The BMI chart is bunk. High muscle mass throws that whole thing out the window. In fact my surgeon agreed and waved it away when I mentioned how absurd it was. Many body builders will in fact come in as obese on the BMI chart even with barely a stitch of fat on them. Use it as a guide if you like, but take it with a grain of salt. Especially if you lift weights :) *flex*