Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Triathlon training starts today!

First question: what kind of shape are you in? Are you doing like a brick on Friday evening, then long run Saturday and then 10% back on Sunday?

Reason why I ask is that I had a very heavy (read my coach wouldn't have done) schedule in the past but I practiced beyond it. I wasn't looking for PR's but I was looking to finish. Because I did past the level of what was required of me, I completed everything.

The biggest question: what is your mind set like? That is going to determine more than anything if you can do it or not.

The problem is that that is way way too short. A 1 mile run and 7 mile bike ride does not put the stress on the body like that 16 miler would. A 200 meter swim is 4 laps. 1 mile run is nothing.

I did a marathon at 100 lbs overweight. You'd be surprised with the right mindframe what can be accomplished.

Remember, she goes up and then back down 10% for the weeks. Are you on the uphill or downhill? That sprint tri is a smaller sprint tri than I had and the triathlon would be a rest day. She needs to be prepared for the thon.

If you run the 16 early in the morning, then stretch and hydrate and eat the rest of the day, I would certainly do it.

Do you have a tri bike or regular bike? That makes a difference.

I think i would count your triathlon as your long run.

I agree don't skip the 16 miler, you need it to build the endurance. Can you move the day of the long run and sub the sprint Tri for one of the shorter runs that week? That's what I try to do when I have a Tri or an obstacle run or a race during a training cycle.

@@jess9395 @@swimbikerun @@Ryan TN

Thanks for all the great advice. Sorry Ryan that I kind of commandeered your post. I could definitely sub my tri in for a run earlier in the week. I could skip my hard run on Thursday. We run our long runs at 7 a.m. on Saturdays and the tri would start about 24 hours later.

My schedule for the week is 10 mile long run on Sunday (I am traveling all day on Saturday), Monday easy 3, Tuesday easy 7, Wednesday is supposed to be strength and core, but I will be using Wed. for Tri training so I will probably do a swim bike brick, Thursday hard 4 (intervals, hills, etc.) Friday rest, Saturday long 15 mi., Sunday triathlon. My biggest issue with moving the long run to Friday is the amount of time it will take on a work day. Perhaps I can come in late that day so that I can get my run in before work without having to run at 3 a.m.!

As to the question about my bike, I have a trek mountain bike that I am getting smooth tires for. Right now I have REALLY nubby tires. Maybe I should train on the nubby tires and switch to smooth tires shortly before the race, like wearing a drag suit for swim training! I hadn't thought of that before.

Thanks again for all the info and advice. So much to think about!

pam

No problem Pam, it's all good info to share!

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Yep.

Although if you want some help, rent a tri bike. You will totally totally notice the difference. I mean big time. It will be so much easier on your body and legs on a tri bike vs. the regular bike.

Outstanding !!!!!

Huge respect for you for doing this.

Thanks for all the encouraging words. i did my swim workout today at an indoor pool, first lap swim i have done in 25 Years! it was very....invigorating and empowering! i was a competitive swimmer in high school, it felt really good to get in a pool!

Thanks for all the encouraging words. i did my swim workout today at an indoor pool, first lap swim i have done in 25 Years! it was very....invigorating and empowering! i was a competitive swimmer in high school, it felt really good to get in a pool!

Woot woot!! WTG

So I went to one of my support groups last night. This is the one not run by my surgeon's group. It is actually run by the university (i.e. research) hospital. I chatted with the leader after the meeting about what my NUT had said about not recommending I train for and do the marathon. The leader asked for the reason they said they didn't think I should do the marathon. When I told her it was because there wasn't any/enough research, she kind of laughed. SHe said that she didn't want to tell me to go against my doctors, but since I seemed determined, she suggested journalling about my journey and what I learn. She said she could see a book or speaking opportunity coming out of it! She even offered to edit my manuscript and help get it published! I don't know if it'll get that far, but I will journal as best I can.

I thought you all would appreciate the update.

@@Ryan TN - How's your training going?

pam

So I went to one of my support groups last night. This is the one not run by my surgeon's group. It is actually run by the university (i.e. research) hospital. I chatted with the leader after the meeting about what my NUT had said about not recommending I train for and do the marathon. The leader asked for the reason they said they didn't think I should do the marathon. When I told her it was because there wasn't any/enough research, she kind of laughed. SHe said that she didn't want to tell me to go against my doctors, but since I seemed determined, she suggested journalling about my journey and what I learn. She said she could see a book or speaking opportunity coming out of it! She even offered to edit my manuscript and help get it published! I don't know if it'll get that far, but I will journal as best I can.

I thought you all would appreciate the update.

pam

I still think that's such a silly reason! I just finished my second marathon last Sunday. There are plenty of us out there doing it, research or not. And how would they research it without test subjects doing it?

@@jess9395

Evidently they have also started telling their other post-ops that they should not plan on running a marathon for at least a year! One of my friends was at the support group last night and she had surgery at the same place I did and she had her two week appointment about the same time I was in last. She told me that they warned her not to plan on it and that they mentioned it because they have had "several" patients talk about it recently!

My surgery center is at a regular hospital, but I like the attitude of the university hospital much better! I am willing to guinea pig myself. I just need to listen to my body.

Congrats on marathon #2!

pam

Oh... Not plan for at least a year? I thought they said not at all.

Doing it before a year is up will be difficult, honestly. Just because of the nutrition aspect and getting in enough.

Still listen to your body and see where you are by then!

Pretty excited and pumped about starting my 13 week triathlon training today, even though Mondays are my rest days! LOL. I see an exercise physiologist at my surgery center. She designed a training course for me that is very detailed and structured. (I need that!) She spent alot of time researching it. She basically took 3 different plans from the Internet and took parts off each and custom fit it to me. She is young, fresh out of college and I think she enjoyed the challenge of it, which actually motivates me even more, I don't want to let her down!

I picked a long sprint triathlon that is in my hometown in August. Quarter mile swim, 17 mile bike, and 4.1 mile run. I have always wanted to do triathlons since I was in my early 20's, but life got in the way, so now that I am at my goal weight, it's my next challenge in life! Ready, set, go!

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Would you be willing to share your training schedule for the 13 weeks? I was really looking to begin some training in this area. I already run 10k pretty easily, bike ride is no problem, but the swimming I haven't really done. Good luck with your training and keep us posted on your progress!

So far so good. About to end week 2, its actually been fairly easy. I've been actually going a bit longer on run and bike times than whats on my training plan. Swimming has been very enjoyable.