Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing weight in first weeks after surgery

I had surgery on 5/3/16 & sadly, I haven't been losing weight since my surgery. It will be week 3 come Tuesday 5/24. And I'm starting to think my surgery was a failure in some way.

My stats:

5'3"

26yrs old

Starting weight 225

Surgery weight 208

5/4 Day after surgery 200 (I lost 8 pounds overnight)

Current weight 198

From 5/4 till now (5/19) I've only lost 2 pounds(which happened after 10 days). I know everyone's body is different, but it seems impossible for me to not lose weight after surgery. I was expecting to lose weight each week, and then hit the 3 week stall like most people talk about. But instead I'm stalling the entire first 3 weeks.

I'm eating about 300-450 calories a day. I'm just not hungry and I stop eating when I'm full. I'm having trouble getting in my 60-80g of Protein and I tend to get in 48-52 oz of fluids so I know I'm under. I'm trying to increase my protein & Fluid intake but it is difficult. Could this be why I'm not losing weight?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Sent from my SGH-M819N using the BariatricPal App

yes. for suggestions I would say you need more calories, more Protein and more Water. keep trying to meet those goals. If you can't meet your goals, then talk to your team. they may have suggestions for YOU based on your overall medical picture.

Keep with your plan. We all loose at different rates. at some point it will move.

I had surgery on 5/3/16 & sadly, I haven't been losing weight since my surgery. It will be week 3 come Tuesday 5/24. And I'm starting to think my surgery was a failure in some way.

My stats:

5'3"

26yrs old

Starting weight 225

Surgery weight 208

Current weight 198

From 5/4 till now (5/19) I've only lost 2 pounds(which happened after 10 days). I know everyone's body is different, but it seems impossible for me to not lose weight after surgery. I was expecting to lose weight each week, and then hit the 3 week stall like most people talk about. But instead I'm stalling the entire first 3 weeks.

I'm eating about 300-450 calories a day. I'm just not hungry and I stop eating when I'm full. I'm having trouble getting in my 60-80g of Protein and I tend to get in 48-52 oz of fluids so I know I'm under. I'm trying to increase my Protein & Fluid intake but it is difficult. Could this be why I'm not losing weight?

Thank you!

Definitely. Your body is in starvation mode - you need more protein and fluids. Hang in there.

I agree, your body is starvation mode. Eat more Protein and try to get a walk in every day. The walking will kick your body into gear. Also, I know it sounds weird but get enough sleep. I always stall whenever i get real busy at work and pull a few late/all nighters. Happens every time. I don't know why! I guess your body is working so hard to lose you gotta get your rest!

Seriously, we are all different and you will start losing.

yes. for suggestions I would say you need more calories, more Protein and more Water. keep trying to meet those goals. If you can't meet your goals, then talk to your team. they may have suggestions for YOU based on your overall medical picture.

Keep with your plan. We all loose at different rates. at some point it will move.

Thank you for responding so quickly, I'll work harder at getting in the fluids & Protein, getting in more calories will be really tough since I fill up so quickly and only eat about 3-4x a day.

Thank you for responding so quickly, I'll work harder at getting in the fluids & Protein, getting in more calories will be really tough since I fill up so quickly and only eat about 3-4x a day.

if you make a Protein shake with 2% milk it may help with all three goals at the same time. at least until you feel you can eat a little more.

My stats:

5'3"

26yrs old

Starting weight 225

Surgery weight 208

Current weight 198

I'm eating about 300-450 calories a day. I'm just not hungry and I stop eating when I'm full. I'm having trouble getting in my 60-80g of Protein and I tend to get in 48-52 oz of fluids so I know I'm under. I'm trying to increase my Protein & Fluid intake but it is difficult. Could this be why I'm not losing weight?

Thank you!

My suggestion:

Stay off the scale until you are able to get in your daily Fluid and protein requirements and get your calories up.

It is critical for healing and weight loss that you consume enough protein and fluids.

Until then, it really doesn't matter what the numbers on the scale are.

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

If you only eat three or four times a day and are not reaching your protein targets then it sounds like you need to eat more frequently.

I agree, your body is starvation mode. Eat more Protein and try to get a walk in every day. The walking will kick your body into gear. Also, I know it sounds weird but get enough sleep. I always stall whenever i get real busy at work and pull a few late/all nighters. Happens every time. I don't know why! I guess your body is working so hard to lose you gotta get your rest!

Seriously, we are all different and you will start losing.

I've been working out on my elliptical, is walking better since I'm VSG patient?

I agree sleep is a necessity.

Walking vs. elliptical doesn't matter - and if you overdo the exercise while you're not meeting protein/calorie/fluid goals, it can hinder you to overexercise.

Edited by 2goldengirl

I’m not sure if you use this forum anymore but I see that you had surgery with Dr. Beltre and really struggled to lose in the beginning. I’m hoping weight loss kicked in for you and you were able to meet your goal. If you see this post, could you post an update? I am seeking VSG SURGERY AND Dr. Beltre is in my area and still has the same self-pay option as you used. I saw another review somewhere on the Internet with the same complaint as you. I hope you will post a reply. Thank you.