Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does the Psychologist ask you about?

Just curious about this step - do they ask about habits, do they ask about depression, self esteem, home life? All of the above? I don't think I will have any issues (I hope not anyway) but I would like to know what I am walking into (if the psychologist office ever calls me to set up the appointment, that is!)

All of the above and more. They will ask you about what you know about WLS and your particular procedure (before, during and after), previous diet attempts, supports, etc. Just be honest - you'll do fine.

@ I've wondered this too. I've never been to one before, and hate talking about myself! LOL How many times do you need to go?

@ I've wondered this too. I've never been to one before, and hate talking about myself! LOL How many times do you need to go?

Just once, I think??

Usually one visit. If there's any issues that they think you need to address before surgery - they may refer you to counseling or a support group but that's only good in the long term.

They're looking to identify folks with:

* Suicide ideation and prior history of hurting themselves or attempts to do so

* Current or prior drug, med or other substance abuse (legal or illegal)

* Unrealistic expectations of how WLS will resolve all their problems / issues / challenges

* No support network at all or a network that will actively sabotage their efforts to become healthier

* Needs for therapy that should be identified and provided before and/or after WLS

That was the easiest part of my pre-op appointments. I went in to see the psychologist. He literally ask me if I was nuts. I said no. We chatted for a bit then he wrote me a letter for my insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by JeffLebowski

My psych eval was two sessions -- first one was three pencil / paper tests -- 600 questions.

Second session -- the psych shared my test results, including a write-up of any strengths and flags that appeared that might support or threaten my success as a WLS patient.

Oddly, he had some concerns based on the test results that I was a control freak. LOL!

Then he asked a lot of questions about my weight history, supporters, detractors, challenges, why I thought I'd become obese and fought obesity for so long.

I passed.

^ that is how I've heard mine will be from someone else who has already done there's.

It shouldn't be a big deal at all.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have bipolar disorder and I "passed" my psych evaluation - if you have a history of mental illness or substance abuse, they will definitely go into that and make sure you are compliant with treatment (meds and therapy) and have been stable/sober for a while.

Barring that, they are checking for eating disorders, how much you understand about your surgery and the lifestyle changes you need to make, and how strong your support system is. If there are issues with those things, they will make referrals for you to get the help and/or info you need prior to surgery. It was not stressful or scary at all for me, and I didn't feel judged in any way, or like there was some kind of gatekeeper trying to impede me.