Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doc said weight loss plan was a waste of time. I need encouraged.

Don't let fear of being in the bathing suit stop you. I go to a YMCA, you can wear your towel right up to the second you enter the pool, once your in the pool and doing the class most are so into what their doing they won't notice you. They also have a steam room and Sauna, I use after the class which is great for the skin and joints etc...

Edited by nyteacher125

@@OutsideMatchInside hee! at least if I'm sweating in the Water I can cool down immediately post workout without having to go anywhere.. just give myself a dunk under the Water XD

Basically I'm so incredibly relieved that.. basically to reach my goal.. like I probably can get there following the plan I set for myself..

I mean I think he intended for me to walk fast and then run right away but.. I -hate- running.. I -hate- jogging.. and I really hate the heat.. I'm waaay more a water girl.. especially when walking long distances/jogging/running actually physically hurts.. so why not use what I enjoy... I've never seen someone stick with an exercise routine that they hate.. myself included... It's like he's setting me up for failure..

"As long as you are moving" [And eating right!] "you will lose" -- best words I've ever heard in my life.

@@OutsideMatchInside hee! at least if I'm sweating in the Water I can cool down immediately post workout without having to go anywhere.. just give myself a dunk under the Water XD

Basically I'm so incredibly relieved that.. basically to reach my goal.. like I probably can get there following the plan I set for myself..

I mean I think he intended for me to walk fast and then run right away but.. I -hate- running.. I -hate- jogging.. and I really hate the heat.. I'm waaay more a water girl.. especially when walking long distances/jogging/running actually physically hurts.. so why not use what I enjoy... I've never seen someone stick with an exercise routine that they hate.. myself included... It's like he's setting me up for failure..

"As long as you are moving" [And eating right!] "you will lose" -- best words I've ever heard in my life.

@@OutsideMatchInside hee! at least if I'm sweating in the water I can cool down immediately post workout without having to go anywhere.. just give myself a dunk under the water XD

Talk about frustration. I went to my last visit before surgery with my surgeon (whom I don't like and don't mesh with as I've mentioned before) and he asked what my exercise plan was and what goal weight I set. I told him 130 (which is low 150 would be high ) and that I was going to start out with Water aerobics then Aqua Zumba then laps and then when laps were easy see what then. And he basically said that Water exercise is useless. It's for people who can't do anything but that and not a good workout. That if I want that kind of weight loss I need to be walking then running 5 times a week plus lifting weights 2-3 times a week and not "fool around with" water exercises.

Well here's the truth. I have immense back and foot pain due to my weight. Just 15 minutes or more walking or standing makes me really hurt. And I also get extremely nauseous if I get overheated. So it seemed like water exercises were a good start. I know I'll be able to do more as I lose more but he seemed to have the opinion that if I'm not doing hard core cardio and strength training right away I can't achieve that kind of loss and any time spent in the water was just a waste

But I don't know how I could do what he wants either. I can barely walk to the mailbox without getting out of breath and barely stand for 15 minutes without being in pain .... I need some

Encouragement.

Has anyone lost 130 pounds on a more moderate exercise plan?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Wow, what an idiot. Something tells me he has never taken a water class.

I have lost over 200 pounds so far and 99% of my exercise is in the water.

Adding:

I used to love it at the Y when runners would grudgingly come to our Water aerobics class because an injury kept them from running. It usually took less than 15 minutes to realize that Water exercise is intense. It was also great to see the 90 year old ladies KICK THEIR BUTTS.

P.S., had your surgeon never seen Michael Phelps' body?

It is funny you say that. I have always been a swimmer, since I was young. When I got so fat that I floated so much it was hard to swim I switched to working out in the water. I always considered myself a water girl.

Now that I have lost weight. I love walking. I am starting to hike. I am going to have a new bike very soon and start biking and I look forward to running but I want to lose a little more weight before I start, but I really WANT to run which is something I never thought I would say. It helps that I live in area where a lot of people run and there are lots of active people.

When you lose more, your tastes in working out might change. My knew used to ache all the time from an old softball injury. Now I have no knee pain. When you lose and you don't have a lot of those aches and pains, you might surprise yourself what you want to do.

Who knows! Maybe my exercise tastes will change right along with my food tastes!

PS if I asked him about Michael Phelps he'd probably say that Michael Phelps got his muscles from lifting weights on the side not swimming ;)

There's a reason why surgeons do their best work when their patients are asleep... :)

I first started exercising in the pool after my total L knee replacement.

I continued after I had my first spine reconstruction.

I am still in the pool while awaiting my next spinal surgery.

All of this pool "nonsense" has been since my WLS almost 5yrs out.

Whenever I am doing an exercise program in the pool, I feel better, am more flexible and I lose weight.

In fact, my bariatric surgeon in conjunction with my orthopedic surgeon have forbidden me to exercise in a gym. I am either to exercise in the Water or take SHORT walks.

Do what YOU can do. Do NOT injure yourself doing something you know in your heart (and joints) that you shouldn't be doing.

I started with weekly Water sessions with physical therapy. Maybe you could get a RX for Aqua PT (insurance paying) and get an exercise routine that you can continue on your own when the PT is over. My insurance is also paying for the pool exercise program. Worth checking out, right?

Good luck and don't let anyone (surgical "God" or not) "take you out of the water".

Keep us posted. We care.

Prayers going up. :)

If this assclown even has a medical degree he likely printed it himself for any dr to undercut any effort u can make to help yourself is totally rediculous my Drs have told me to do whatever I'm capable of for as long as I can tolerate and to work up to at least 30 mins a day I've lost 180 lbs I'm walking as much as I can as I have vascular and nerve issues but I bike ride as well this person sounds like they are trying to put u down not lift you up I'd walk your ass away from that idiot

@@Beck90 Sorry your doctor said that to you. I can't understand why he would discourage you from doing any activity....Actually sounds like your doctor is a jerk. I have lost 100 lbs, I'm 9 months out. I was ENCOURAGED to start on Water aerobics because I was not active..so it was a good idea for a start for me. I did it solely for like 2 weeks (well, in addition to just walking the neighborhood) and then started treadmill, stationary bike and other cardio equipment. I then added in strength training. I'm now walking every morning, even jogging some. I've yet to be able to do all of the things that your jackass doctor suggests you do. I am certainly not saying it can't be done or saying it shouldn't be encouraged, but he's on some serious smack if he thinks it is where most of us start! My doctor's group has doctors, NUT's and people there to help develop an exercise routine (even a gym facility where you can work out for free with their guidance)... they told me best way to start, is to start. Move, start moving and then push yourself a little more each time.

Ultimately, you know what you can do and not do. I personally think you have a good plan...I would encourage you to do it...then as the weight drops, and you have more endurance, do other stuff...work yourself up to more.

Good luck to you....you got this!

I started at 286# and I'm not sure I could have done anything except swimming. (It was even hard to walk from the parking lot to the pool!) I remember each time I got out of the pool after doing my laps and feeling the pull of gravity.... I've lost almost 118# now and have a personal trainer and do a lot of power walks with my dog. One thing that we have all learned is not to let anyone bully us any more. Someone who has never had an extreme amount of excess weight on their body has no idea the pain that accompanies that. Enjoy the water! Be free and enjoy as you transform your body. The best is yet to come!

ME! SO far I've lost 117lbs and 90% of that was by doing Water aerobics. I started at 2 days a week and now go 4 - 6 days a week. Your doctor is grossly misinformed. Not everyone is a runner. Weight lifting is could for firming up, but as long as you move, and do it consistently you will lose.

Talk about frustration. I went to my last visit before surgery with my surgeon (whom I don't like and don't mesh with as I've mentioned before) and he asked what my exercise plan was and what goal weight I set. I told him 130 (which is low 150 would be high ) and that I was going to start out with water aerobics then Aqua Zumba then laps and then when laps were easy see what then. And he basically said that water exercise is useless. It's for people who can't do anything but that and not a good workout. That if I want that kind of weight loss I need to be walking then running 5 times a week plus lifting weights 2-3 times a week and not "fool around with" water exercises.

Well here's the truth. I have immense back and foot pain due to my weight. Just 15 minutes or more walking or standing makes me really hurt. And I also get extremely nauseous if I get overheated. So it seemed like water exercises were a good start. I know I'll be able to do more as I lose more but he seemed to have the opinion that if I'm not doing hard core cardio and strength training right away I can't achieve that kind of loss and any time spent in the water was just a waste

But I don't know how I could do what he wants either. I can barely walk to the mailbox without getting out of breath and barely stand for 15 minutes without being in pain .... I need some
Encouragement.

Has anyone lost 130 pounds on a more moderate exercise plan?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App