Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doc said weight loss plan was a waste of time. I need encouraged.

Talk about frustration. I went to my last visit before surgery with my surgeon (whom I don't like and don't mesh with as I've mentioned before) and he asked what my exercise plan was and what goal weight I set. I told him 130 (which is low 150 would be high ) and that I was going to start out with Water aerobics then Aqua Zumba then laps and then when laps were easy see what then. And he basically said that water exercise is useless. It's for people who can't do anything but that and not a good workout. That if I want that kind of weight loss I need to be walking then running 5 times a week plus lifting weights 2-3 times a week and not "fool around with" water exercises.

Well here's the truth. I have immense back and foot pain due to my weight. Just 15 minutes or more walking or standing makes me really hurt. And I also get extremely nauseous if I get overheated. So it seemed like water exercises were a good start. I know I'll be able to do more as I lose more but he seemed to have the opinion that if I'm not doing hard core cardio and strength training right away I can't achieve that kind of loss and any time spent in the water was just a waste

But I don't know how I could do what he wants either. I can barely walk to the mailbox without getting out of breath and barely stand for 15 minutes without being in pain .... I need some

Encouragement.

Has anyone lost 130 pounds on a more moderate exercise plan?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

well first of all your doctor sounds like a jack ass. that being said. you do YOU. i know people who have lost without exercise and at least you're willing to be active in whatever way you can! that's super important! i haven't lost 130lbs but i've lost 80lbs (sleeved 7 months ago). i do run and lift weights but when i first started i was 240lbs and all i could do was walk. do what you can when you can and increase as you can. hopefully you can see someone else for post op visits! we got your back here. xo

I have lost 100 pounds. I had VSG surgery nearly 21 months ago at age 68. I reached my weight loss goal (150 pounds) and then went on to lose another 15 pounds in the next 8 months. I've been maintaining at 135 pounds for nearly half a year now.

And my knee pain (arthritis and pain from various athletic injuries over the years) didn't completely go away until I lost those last 15 pounds.

And running (?!) when you're 130 pounds overweight is f**king nutty advice.

@@Inner Surfer Girl here has lost several hundred pounds and still has more to go. She (and others here) focused early on via Water exercises for obvious reasons.

There's another aspect to this, which is that exercise is necessary for health. You can't get around that. And you have to figure out something you can do that WILL exercise / challenge your body.

However ... you will ultimately lose all the weight you need to lose if (and only if) you eat the right foods and right amount of food that promotes the weight loss. There's a saying that goes (something) like this: You will lose your weight in the kitchen, not in the gym.

Finally, here is my #1 exercise rule: "Don't hurt yourself!"

I know you don't care for your surgeon and that you're limited to him due to your insurance situation and can't change surgeons. I understand that you trust his surgical abilities and plan to put up with him to get your surgery, but that you're (my language, not yours) considering a wider array of post-op advices to maximize your long-term WLS success.

I'd say to just nod carefully at his advices about exercise, continue to gather information, and make your own decisions.

And for the record, if I were 130 pounds overweight with severe pain in my feet no way in hell would I take up long-distance walking or any kind of running. That may (or may not) come later. I would sure hope you could walk a lot more easily and longer and faster down the line. But not now.

I agree - your surgeon sounds like a serious jerk... why are you using him? I wouldn't trust him to do anything to me. I did Water aerobics after I was first banded and that helped me lose a lot of weight It is a serious work out if you get the proper instructors - ones that don't baby you, but won't let you get hurt either.

and I'm seriously considering going back to a gym that has a pool with Water aerobics being offered as I feel I did better workng out that way then with my current regime.

I love aqua aerobics, in the past when I do it on a regular basis I have lost weight. It's one hour of cardio with weight and the added weight of the Water. Low impact on joints etc. I think he's missing an important point, any exercise is better than no exercise.

He may have said that's a great starting point and good to do something you enjoy, try adding a five minute walk each day and build it up from there. I'm not sure how he expects you to take up running at that intensity until you drop some weight and even than it would be a little at a time. As they say Rome wasn't built in a day and the weight isn't going to come off in a day nor is anyone going to become a runner in a day. Tune him out he's an idiot. I actually feel his advice would lead to unhealthy outcomes.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

He has the typical "I'm a SURGEON therefore I am God" complex (usually worse in orthopedics). ;-). So take his advice with a grain of salt. Water exercise is difficult - and what is recommended for people with joint issues. And any exercise is better than none!

Wow your surgeon sounds like he needs a lesson or two in what is good exercise for someone who is 130 pounds overweight. You can help him learn by printing this article http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/swim-workout-0

I swim at least 2 days a week and I also ride an adult tricycle about 4 to 7 miles 5 days a week. I can't walk without 2 canes or a walker and most of the time use an electric mobility, but I sure can bike and swim and love doing it. Forget the running and lifting weights for now and do something that is good for you and easier on your joints. Believe me I know.

Your surgeon is an unmitigated ass.

And he has clearly never taken a serious Water aerobics class. They are WORK, but easy on the joints. I had a bulging disc in my back a few years back, and the only hour of my day that I didn't hurt was when I was in the pool. I did nothing but Water aerobics (I couldn't), and I lost 17 lbs.

And as for swimming laps, does he have any idea how fit serious lap swimmers are?

I seldom tell people to ignore their doctor's advice, but in this case, follow your plan. then when you go back to see him and you've dropped weight and he asks what you're doing for exercise, tell. him. Repeatedly.

ANY movement that gets your heart rate up is good for you and will burn calories.

Yes, that includes sex, deep cleaning your house, playing with your kids...anything.

Your surgeon may be good at doing surgery, but his beside manner sucks.

I think the key is to just move! [emoji3] Doesn't matter how you do it.

You guys are rockstars! Thank you so so so so soooo much for bringing a smile back to my face.. I needed it. (Oh did I mention he was running late from surgery so he was two hours late for my appointment at which he did nothing but ask if I was feeling healthy and then the other conversation ensuded and then I nodded and he said okay see you in two weeks and left? aiii)

@@VSGAnn2014 - the thing about losing weight in the kitchen and not the gym makes quite a lot of sense.. exercise is important but nutrition (and proper nutrition) is even more vital so.. seems to me that it's time to do what I do best with him... Nod.. curse illinois medicaid again.. and figure it out for myself. So glad this forum is here. Gosh knows what else he'll have bad advice about. I'm a little afraid to find out!!!

@ - I'm stuck with him due to my insurance restrictions. So.. I just have to make due and lean on you guys and the wealth of knowledge here and not let him get me down.

@@2goldengirl - Right? I thought lap swimming was at least equal to jogging if not running in intensity? So why does it matter if I'd rather build up to that.. it's a whole lot easier on my joints and doesn't hurt me. Clearly he doesn't know enough about Water exercise. He must think about Water aerobics for senior ladies with an instructor that babies them or something.

@@Babbs - you made me LOL for the first time all day. No kidding his bedside manner stinks for sure! I will be so happy to just.. not see him anymore.. every experience (talking) that I've had with him is negative.. (thankfully his reviews for actually doing surgery are stellar or I'd be even more terrified that I'm stuck with him!)

I have lost all my weight from just walking 2-5 miles a day. I work out here and there, but not consistently (although that is about to change).

If you are doing Aqua Zumba with a good instructor and really giving it your all, you will get hot as hell. Just because you are in the Water doesn't mean you won't sweat. There are all kinds of intense Water exercises. Working out in the water is the hardest and you use all muscles because you have constant resistance because of the water, on forward and back motions.

If you can find a place with it, AquaLogix is the best water workout you can get.

https://www.aqualogixfitness.com/

Your Surgeon is an asshat. As long as you are moving for more than 30 minutes at a time, you will lose.

I've never done Water aerobics, but my surgeon actually highly recommended it to me in my meetings with him. He said it's a great way to get a good workout without damaging your joints, and being over 100 lbs overweight definitely puts you at risk of injury with many types of exercise. I just need to get over my fear of being in a bathing suit in public lol.

Even if Water exercise is less effective (and that's a big IF, I don't think it is) you will get more fit doing that regularly and safely than you will if you start something too strenuous and end up injured and unable to exercise at all.

Besides, you can always add in more difficult exercises as you lose. I plan on running for exercise eventually (I enjoyed it when I was younger and thinner), but I am not going to start until I am sure my weight won't cause me to ruin my knees or ankles.

I lost 100 pounds in 10 months and kept it off for over 1 1/2 years. And this is without implementing ANY sort of excercise program whatsoever. I do have a physical job and an active lifestyle, but it the exact same job and lifestyle as I had for the 10 years prior to surgery. I gained 50 pounds at that activity level prior to surgery and lost 100 pounds after surgery.

Weight loss is mostly about what you put in your mouth, not how much you excercise. Good for you for having an excercise plan, but tell your surgeon to go pound sand because although your increased activity level will benefit you in other ways (cardio, strength, stamina, metabolism), it will do almost nothing for your actual weight loss.