Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coworkers...

Life of Blair, I have low carb recipes for pretty much any type of food; main dishes, side dishes, Condiments (I have a killer sugar free low carb bbq sauce), Desserts, Breakfast foods. A group/forum I belonged to for diabetics who followed low carb eating had tons of recipes, and one member in particular was a wonderful chef who created these fabulous recipes for things like Cookies, cakes, pies, all low carb and sugar free!

Learn to only snort one line of cocaine...

Learn to eat only ONE Lays chip (..remember nobody can eat just one )

How about Learn to keep your flap shut when I wasn't asking for diet advice!!!!

For some, they will not be able to eat one cookie. I can personally eat half a cookie and I am fine. We keep sweets in our home all the time. I am not even tempted. I know how hard I have worked this year to get off all this weight (163 pounds) A cookie, or pie, or cake, just isn't worth it. I definitely eat in moderation now though. I track 5 days a week and then don't track during the weekends. I still get approximately the same calories. I say, you can eat whatever you want, but plan for it. Then don't feel guilty about it. Last Saturday, I had a doughnut. It was super yummy. But, I also ran a 5K that day and then walked around all day. It's about balance for me. I couldn't go through the rest of my life and not eat a cupcake. Just like I can't skip my workouts.

I dunno... ill play devils advocate here....

I can understand how it might be a good idea to avoid trigger foods during the weight loss phase, however i think that life is meant to be enjoyed, we can not deprive ourselves forever... there will be times when one cookie is okay.. or a small slice of cake.... everything in moderation...

It takes time to learn new habits and yes... i agree whilst in the losing phase we need to avoid our trigger foods, but we also need to educate and teach ourselves control... life is meant to be lived.... not to be spent on a diet.... its a lifestyle change.

*silently waiting for someone to shove a box of Cookies in her mouth because of this post * ☺

But if she knows it's a trigger food and that might ultimately cause weight gain, where is the pleasure?

Should an alcoholic have an occasional recreational martini?

We were setting up refreshments at work today for an event and we were talking about food. I made the comment that I don't trust myself to eat just one (sweets are a trigger food). A lady goes "you have to learn to eat just one cookie.." I'm sure some of y'all can eat just one, but if it's a trigger food there is no way I'm eating just one. For me it's the same as if she told an alcoholic to have just one beer. It's going to lead to a lot more. /end rant

When people say ignorant things like that..I just laugh it off. She thinks she is being helpful but really its annoying.

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

I dunno... ill play devils advocate here....

I can understand how it might be a good idea to avoid trigger foods during the weight loss phase, however i think that life is meant to be enjoyed, we can not deprive ourselves forever... there will be times when one cookie is okay.. or a small slice of cake.... everything in moderation...

It takes time to learn new habits and yes... i agree whilst in the losing phase we need to avoid our trigger foods, but we also need to educate and teach ourselves control... life is meant to be lived.... not to be spent on a diet.... its a lifestyle change.

*silently waiting for someone to shove a box of Cookies in her mouth because of this post * ☺

But if she knows it's a trigger food and that might ultimately cause weight gain, where is the pleasure?

Should an alcoholic have an occasional recreational martini?

Everyone has a trigger food..

I am not suggesting anyone eat a box of Cookies or a whole cake...

I acknowledge that trigger foods should be avoided until you deal with why you over eat... but my point is.. one should use this process to teach ones self to control their portions and have balance... there is no need for deprivation

I don't think the occasional cookie is going to cause weight gain... unless you are overeating or having them too frequently... what will you gain weight is when yopu deprive yourself for so long that you go on a binge day after day because you have not dealt with your food issues.

Remember they did surgery on our stomachs not our head.... these issues should be addressed for long term maintenance

All of this conversation makes me remember why I've told no coworkers about having surgery. They offer me junk, I say "no, thanks," and it's over. I can't imagine justifying my choices in the context of surgery. I've got enough challenges as it is.

I understand what you're saying, I really do, but if one doesn't WANT the dang cookie, why should one "have to learn" to eat just one?

I am three years out and maintaining beautifully. Sweets don't affect me for the most part with the exception of Hershey Kisses. If I open a bag, I'm finishing them, so I don't.

My life is more pleasurable avoiding certain things all together, no moderation desired. Could I learn? Probably. Do I want to do that to myself over a non-essential, unhealthy food option that I've had ten lifetimes worth of? Not really.

If you want to learn, more power to you. I'm far too old and cranky to find "pleasure" in what could derail a major success I'm experiencing.

Each to their own.... if one chooses to not have them... power to them... its a choice... an individual one... i agree we do not HAVE to do anything... how one chooses to live their life is their prerogative.

I maintained for 5 years... and i made the choice that in would not have "naughty" food unless it was a special occasion or major social event (which would be around once a month).. there is no calories in birthday cake lol

I never felt deprived or felt like i was missing out either... that worked for me...

But... early one i had to deal with my food and overeating addiction and making that choice was part of it

Each to their own.... if one chooses to not have them... power to them... its a choice... an individual one... i agree we do not HAVE to do anything... how one chooses to live their life is their prerogative.

I maintained for 5 years... and i made the choice that in would not have "naughty" food unless it was a special occasion or major social event (which would be around once a month).. there is no calories in birthday cake lol

I never felt deprived or felt like i was missing out either... that worked for me...

But... early one i had to deal with my food and overeating addiction and making that choice was part of it

Wait. I'm confused.

You made weight and maintained for five years? Does your ticker not reflect this?

I'm having a senior moment...

Yes... i had the band for 6 years... lost weight.. got to goal and maintained for 5

I had complications during the last year and had it removed for 12 months.

Basically, during the 12 months after i got it removed i gained weight.. a lot... i was really eating well.... exercising.. the works.. tried everything .. yet was still gaining weight.

I went to see the doctor and they said i had reset my resting metabolic rate to quite low...from all the complications from the band.

so they suggested i get weight loss surgery as my body doesn't function on the higher calories.

I had the sleeve done... and ive lost 22 pounds this month...

I was told i probably never lose a large amount, but at least im not gaining and that was my reason for getting the sleeve.

No... not a senior moment... lol... i should probably be clearer not to confuse people lol

Edited by AussieGirl81

Yes... i had the band for 6 years... lost weight.. got to goal and maintained for 5

I had complications during the last year and had it removed for 12 months.

Basically, during the 12 months after i got it removed i gained weight.. a lot... i was really eating well.... exercising.. the works.. tried everything .. yet was still gaining weight.

I went to see the doctor and they said i had reset my resting metabolic rate to quite low...from all the complications from the band.

so they suggested i get weight loss surgery as my body doesn't function on the higher calories.

I had the sleeve done... and ive lost 22 pounds this month...

I was told i probably never lose a large amount, but at least im not gaining and that was my reason for getting the sleeve.

No... not a senior moment... lol... i should probably be clearer not to confuse people lol

Ah...ok.