Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coworkers...

We were setting up refreshments at work today for an event and we were talking about food. I made the comment that I don't trust myself to eat just one (sweets are a trigger food). A lady goes "you have to learn to eat just one cookie.." I'm sure some of y'all can eat just one, but if it's a trigger food there is no way I'm eating just one. For me it's the same as if she told an alcoholic to have just one beer. It's going to lead to a lot more. /end rant

I am so with you on that. I'm 7 weeks post op, and except for a bad day that led to me buying a slice of chocolate cake, I haven't craved any of my old comfort foods. I figure if I'm not craving them, I am so not going to try it and possibly ruin a good thing. Even when u could only eat two bites. Lol.

Speaking of coworkers....I work with a lady that had GB two years ago. She is constantly complaining that she has regained 40 pounds. I made the comment, in a nice way, that she is always eating chips.

Her reasoning? When she eats Protein, she can't have very much before she gets full but she has discovered she can eat quite a bit of chips without them making her feel full and miserable.

Seriously? The thought process of some people kill me!!

Some ppl trip me out on what comes out their mouths... I would have shoved 10 Cookies in her mouth...lol, my bad I'm on my pre-op liquid diet... kinda edgy right now...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using the BariatricPal App

I would seriously pay to see that.....

I dunno... ill play devils advocate here....

I can understand how it might be a good idea to avoid trigger foods during the weight loss phase, however i think that life is meant to be enjoyed, we can not deprive ourselves forever... there will be times when one cookie is okay.. or a small slice of cake.... everything in moderation...

It takes time to learn new habits and yes... i agree whilst in the losing phase we need to avoid our trigger foods, but we also need to educate and teach ourselves control... life is meant to be lived.... not to be spent on a diet.... its a lifestyle change.

*silently waiting for someone to shove a box of Cookies in her mouth because of this post * ☺

Edited by AussieGirl81

@ I agree that it's good to, but for me personally I don't think it's possible. I'm a food addict and especially a sweets addict, so for me it's just wouldn't be possible to eat just one. If I could I definitely would just eat one every now and then. Maybe one day I will get there, but not today haha.

You will get there.... in a couple of months once you develop good habits... you probably won't want those things.... but i am proud that you recognise your triggers... thats the starting point to overcoming anything ☺

Yeah some people don't get that for a lot of us going through this (not all but still quite a few) there is an addiction aspect. Why should you HAVE to learn to eat just one cookie? There is no reason why you have to eat a cookie at all. So if you choose not to have any, that should be fine. Just like it should be fine for someone to eat just one cookie. I applaud you for knowing yourself and your triggers well enough to know what to avoid so you don't fall prey to the addiction side of it. Seriously - would she tell an alcoholic they have to learn to drink just one beer? or a heroin addict that they have to learn to just shoot up once?

I'm pre-op and this is one of my biggest obstacles. If I bake Cookies, or someone brings a plate of them to work, it's very hard for me to stop at just one . . . like impossible. I am capable of having zero Cookies, but eating one opens a floodgate it seems. I'm currently weaning off carbs and my cravings are diminishing, but I think cookies/cakes/donuts/pastries will always be my kryptonite.

The only way for me to have "just one" would be to buy one cookie at a bakery and leave immediately.

I have cooked every meal for my family since coming home from the hospital. Yes, i stop myself from licking my fingers and tasting what in cooking but every meal has been fantastic without any issues. I don't crave right now, i did about 4 days post op for hot wings. The people that have this surgery and go through what we've gone through to just hand it back to the same horrible life that gave us the issues why we had to get in the table is ridiculous. This is our second chance, this is our chance at a new life.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I hear ya! Some days, I don't trust myself enough to be able to help anyone set up a refreshment table....period.

Some ppl trip me out on what comes out their mouths... I would have shoved 10 Cookies in her mouth...lol, my bad I'm on my pre-op liquid diet... kinda edgy right now...

I would seriously pay to see that.....
Lol... hunger will make you go from 0 to 100 seconds. ..

I dunno... ill play devils advocate here....

I can understand how it might be a good idea to avoid trigger foods during the weight loss phase, however i think that life is meant to be enjoyed, we can not deprive ourselves forever... there will be times when one cookie is okay.. or a small slice of cake.... everything in moderation...

It takes time to learn new habits and yes... i agree whilst in the losing phase we need to avoid our trigger foods, but we also need to educate and teach ourselves control... life is meant to be lived.... not to be spent on a diet.... its a lifestyle change.

*silently waiting for someone to shove a box of Cookies in her mouth because of this post * ☺

lmao