Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Fluids In...UGH

Where did you get this Water bottle?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I didn't. I just found that picture on google. You could easily make your own with a clear plastic bottle and a Sharpie.
That's a motivational water bottle. You can get it on Amazon. That's where I got mine. The other side of the bottle has an inspirational quote.

Another thing you can do is buy/make a Water bottle with times marked on it like this:

8930da61c5f046b3dae60dae5734bfb7.jpg

I can't do it, because I need my water to be ICE cold, so I need to use opaque, double-walled, insulated bottles. But if you don't need to keep ice in your water and can just use a clear plastic bottle, this would work well.

Sent from my KFASWI using the BariatricPal App

Pre sleeve:I loved Water.It was the only thing I drank.

Post sleeve:I couldn't stand it anymore and was having a hard time.try crystal light. (I recommend the peach iced tea flavor)I can literally get twice the liquids in.it helped me out a lot :)

I was concerned about this also. I am 3 weeks post op now and it is getting easier to drink my fluids. Just takes some time. My Dr. said to remember that all the fluids your eating/drinking during the first couple weeks count. Its not just a Water goal. So 64 oz is the goal, but your jello/broth/popsicles/protein shakes etc. all count. :)

Pre sleeve:I loved Water.It was the only thing I drank.

Post sleeve:I couldn't stand it anymore and was having a hard time.try crystal light. (I recommend the peach iced tea flavor)I can literally get twice the liquids in.it helped me out a lot :)

I'm with you there! Pre-op I loved Water and Decaf iced tea. Post-op the only thing that I'm loving is Crystal Light blackberry lemonade. I buy the squeeze bottle and just squirt it in.

I'm 1 week post op and struggling to get the Protein in. The liquids are not a problem at all. Glad to know I'm not alone!

Play with the temp of your liquids. Early on I preferred hot or room temp. Now I much prefer lots of ice.

Try different flavorings- I like some of the Mio ones. Early on I used Decaf tea mixed with herbal tea for different flavors. I sometimes drink Chick Fil-A diet lemonade that I Water down. I cannot get myself to drink much plain Water.

For me I can only get in enough liquids in if I use a straw. I know this is against most surgeon's programs but I have never had in issue. I have read many people on this board say they use straws.

It can be very hard to get in your liquids early on. It gets easier. I now drink 80-90 oz a day. I am never without a double walled cup with a straw unless I am riding my horse. No cup holder there.

They do make cup holders for saddles. They are awesome.

Sent from my XT1045 using the BariatricPal App

Another thing you can do is buy/make a Water bottle with times marked on it like this:

8930da61c5f046b3dae60dae5734bfb7.jpg

I can't do it, because I need my Water to be ICE cold, so I need to use opaque, double-walled, insulated bottles. But if you don't need to keep ice in your water and can just use a clear plastic bottle, this would work well.

Where you get this cup from

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

@@Olena808 That's not mine, just a picture I found on Google. But you can get motivational Water bottles on Amazon, like this one:

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0174W87SS

You can also just make your own with any 32 oz. bottle and a Sharpie.

Newbie question! What makes it so difficult to get liquids in after surgery? I am getting sleeved on July 12th. I LOVE Water now and have no problems drinking enough every day. What can I expect after? Is it a taste thing? Hurt going down? I am curious :).

Newbie question! What makes it so difficult to get liquids in after surgery? I am getting sleeved on July 12th. I LOVE Water now and have no problems drinking enough every day. What can I expect after? Is it a taste thing? Hurt going down? I am curious :).

There is often internal swelling and inflamation that makes getting fluids in a challenge. It basically increases the restriction of your sleeve to the point where even liquid can't pass through easily. It is one temporary. After a couple of weeks, the swelling goes down and you get back to where liquid goes straight through the sleeve as quickly as you drink it, assuming you aren't mixing it with food. Not every experiences the same level of swelling. Some people can handle fluids immediately post-op.

I felt they same way until I was VSG on 5/18.... for me it felt like the Water was trying to climb back up my esophagus w/out the nausea/vomiting... I went thru 3 types of bottle waters... Vitamin zero and decaff warm lemon tea worked for me....so PLEASE sip sip sip, walk walk walk toot toot toot.... ( i carried pocket spray with me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using the BariatricPal App

Hello everyone, I am 2 weeks post op and I can barely get liquids down. Today was my first day back at work. My day started at 4 am. I have sipped all day and have got in 22 oz. I am on the puree stage right now. I need help because this sucks!!!!

Hello, same boat everyday, started with sipping Water at midnight to get 20 plus, dyhydated prob next.

Finally saw surgeon directly 2 days ago and am on a prednisone cousin for just 3 days, because I have inflamation. 2nd day today and doubled plus my liquid intake& protein! . Always felt sooo full, bloated after each sip, u? Worth a try.

9/14 sleeved.