Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with a BMI lower than 35 and had a bypass?!

Hi I was wondering if there is anyone here who had a gastric bypass or a mini gastric bypass with a pre-op weight of 35 or less? How was it for you so far and what made you decide on the surgery? Why did you chose bypass or mini bypass and not VSG? I would really want to hear from you all

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by mmy

I had a lower BMI when I started this journey. It took me three years to get a neurologist to sign off on it. I have Pseudotumor Cerebri & Papilledema. In the first 8 days of my RNY, I lost 36.5 pounds. I chose bypass over sleeve & band, because my surgeon told me I wouldn't have as great of a weight loss with the other two, and I was a perfect candidate for the bypass. I needed to have a drastic weight loss in a short time or my Pseudotumor would get worse. I'm happy with the results I have so far. I'm 3 weeks out, and the pounds just keep dropping.

HI, yeah I think at one time I might have had a BMI in the high 30s, but I decided to have the

gastric Bypass RNY at a BMI of about 34; then when I went into surgery at about 32.

That was 3 months ago, I'm now BMI 25.9.

I decided to have this surgery because I'd yo-yo dieted forever, losing then gaining back some

40 lbs multiple times, but mainly because I had most every co-morbid element I can think of:

Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, bad joint pain,sleep apnea, etc.

I no longer have ANY of those problems.

The best decision I've ever made

My BMI was 35. I had the bypass almost 4 months ago.

I just had so much trouble trying to loose weight and considered myself a sugar addict and I didn't trust myself, so I wanted the most restrictive option possible.

Also if I did turn to the sweets I wanted the 'dumping syndrome'; but looks like I'm one of those people that don't suffer from dumping, and to be honest, now I'm glad I don't have dumping as my dietary lifestyle has undergone such a radical change (I generally don't do meats and eggs very well). I find myself having a lot of Protein drinks and bars as an easier way to have Protein. I also have to remind myself to eat ... which I love as pre-op I was always thinking of food.

Another reason that swayed me was I read with the Gastric Bypass in general the weight loss is greater and there is a higher percentage rate of long term success, so that also swayed me to the GB.

I'm now at a 26 BMI, so I'm just out of the 'normal' weight range.

The greatest negative is I've started to have hair loss which is a little scary. Although I still have have thick hair, but I'm not sure for how long.

I just had my blood work done and my levels are excellent ( I make sure I take my vitamins) except my ferritin levels are low, which could be a contributor to the Hair loss. I also had a minor complication with a broken blood vessel during the operation, so I lost a couple of units of blood. I did have a blood transfusion straight after the op, and now I feel reasonable good but I just need to increase my iron/ferritin with more tablets.

I would do it all again in a heartbeat. I know there's no way in the world I could have done this on my own, after many years of trying. Now I receive endless compliments, and I really am for the first time in a long time beginning to feel good about myself.

Good luck with any choices you may make!

I have a BMI of 36 and considering the RNY for th same reasons you listed! I am scheduled for surgery June 20th and I'm so nervous but know I need the most restrictive option due to my love of sweets!

lakegirlmn mine was a mini open surgery (not to be confused with a mini bypass). My scar is about 10cm long. I wish you all the luck in the world. I know what it's like to be addicted to sweets, and the bypass so far has been fantastic. Just be prepared for the first weeks after the procedure as it can be quite challenging getting enough Protein and Water in. Patience is the key!

HI, yeah I think at one time I might have had a BMI in the high 30s, but I decided to have the

gastric Bypass RNY at a BMI of about 34; then when I went into surgery at about 32.

That was 3 months ago, I'm now BMI 25.9.

I decided to have this surgery because I'd yo-yo dieted forever, losing then gaining back some

40 lbs multiple times, but mainly because I had most every co-morbid element I can think of:

Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, bad joint pain,sleep apnea, etc.

I no longer have ANY of those problems.

The best decision I've ever made

Pedro,

you and I sound like twins, I have yo yo'd for years too, my BMI is currently around 33 and my surgery is in 12 days. by then at the rate I am losing weight on this boost diet, I may be a 31-32, I to have diabetes, joint pain high blood pressure and the hope is this will stop all this, I'm not asking for a miracle but would like to be a grand father someday and not a grave stone that the grandkids are brought to.

thanks for listening

Mo, man, thanks for response, damn I just dropped down to 195 - hell haven't weighed under 200 since I was literally a child. Feels incredible. My life spent living on advils, soma, flexerile, etc seem to be over I haven't taken anything for aches since surgery. As my friend says, "Pedro, if I hand you a backpack that weighs 95 lbs you're gonna look REAL quick to put it down somewhere" and he's right; that's a helluva lotta weight to have been luggin around on my back those years. I feel the biggest difference in little things you wouldn't think of, like the ease of tying my shoes, turning my head to look behind me in the car, walking up stairs; just strolling down the street I find myself thinking damn I feel good and light.... I kept telling myself that all the aches and pains were because of my age, and yes, there ARE extra pains as we age but I was BS-ing myself, it was the damn 100 freakin lbs. Let's DO this, Brother man....!! Keep me posted as you get down towards goal. By the way, my original goal was 215 ish, then when I passed that I realized, let's see where this all goes...

Mo, man, thanks for response, damn I just dropped down to 195 - hell haven't weighed under 200 since I was literally a child. Feels incredible. My life spent living on advils, soma, flexerile, etc seem to be over I haven't taken anything for aches since surgery. As my friend says, "Pedro, if I hand you a backpack that weighs 95 lbs you're gonna look REAL quick to put it down somewhere" and he's right; that's a helluva lotta weight to have been luggin around on my back those years. I feel the biggest difference in little things you wouldn't think of, like the ease of tying my shoes, turning my head to look behind me in the car, walking up stairs; just strolling down the street I find myself thinking damn I feel good and light.... I kept telling myself that all the aches and pains were because of my age, and yes, there ARE extra pains as we age but I was BS-ing myself, it was the damn 100 freakin lbs. Let's DO this, Brother man....!! Keep me posted as you get down towards goal. By the way, my original goal was 215 ish, then when I passed that I realized, let's see where this all goes...

Woah... I don't even know what specific forum this is under, it just shows up for me as unread. Have to tell you- I'm in tears. What an amazing story and your support is incredible. Love stumbling across something like this. It makes my heart hurt in the best way. Congrats.

Wow good for you pedro and thanks, i set 220 as my goal as this was my competition weight as an amatuer wrestler. But lower is good,as long as I remain healthy is fine. Had back surgery for two herniated discs anti inflammatories is how i cope with the pain and spasm flare ups. Worried about this as i am no longer going to be able to use them and the pain can literally floor me. Reading your response makes me hooeful this to (pain) will be a thing of the past. Thanks and i will keep you posted. The only drawback to the boost diabetic diet for shrinking my liver is i'm so hungery i could eat the fart from a dead chicken! [emoji12]

Edited by bigmoe99

I was approved at 37 and day of surgery was 34.5 (the 14 day all liquid diet dropped me to under 35). My surgery was 4/4, and today I am 29.9!

My high weight was 212; I am 5'3". Today I am 169. I feel great! I am off of three blood pressure meds and my blood sugars are stable. Hoping CPAP machine is next.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Bigmoe99.... I was on constant anti-inflamatories pre op for my back both from a car accident in September followed by a broken tailbone in Feb. I was told by the hospital to stop taking them 1 week pre op but 2 days without them and I was a wreck. Terrible headache, could barely walk... So my dr said I could keep taking them until 24 hrs pre op. I was so worried about post op knowing I wouldn't be able to take them anymore. But it was seriously like a miracle, I didn't even notice until almost a week post op that I hadn't had the first problem without them!