Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone know if they test you for pregnancy before surgery?

The hospital I went to tests every woman under age 50 who has a uterus.

Lol Bufflehead

Before I had surgery they took like 10 vials of blood, I am sure they did a pregnancy test off of one of them. I think they might have done a urine one when I checked in, but I can't remember, the details of the time pre-surgery are kind of a blue because of the drugs.

At hospital check-in, I was asked when my last period occurred. I have a Mirena IUD and haven't had a period in many years. They made me pee in a cup for a pregnancy test because of this. I got the impression that those with regular cycles might not get tested, but I'm not entirely certain about that. Probably one of those things that depends on your hospital's rules.

When I changed into my gown I gave a urine sample before they even gave me the iv...

Yes they absolutely test.

Alright ladies. Thank you. I'm guessing they don't want to be liable if something happened.

I did not have a pregnancy test... All of my doctors asked me if there was a possibility I was pregnant. My husband and I just laughed (he was "fixed" long before we ever met lol). I told them if I was pregnant we have bigger problems than my obesity - or its immaculate conception! ????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

Yea they take a "urine test".. But I had surgery March 29 and found out May 2 I was 8 weeks pregnant.. The urine didn't pick up BC it was too early...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using the BariatricPal App

Yea they take a "urine test".. But I had surgery March 29 and found out May 2 I was 8 weeks pregnant.. The urine didn't pick up BC it was too early...

Oh wow!!! Is everything okay with you, the baby?

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

Obgyn says its too early to tell. I have been under anesthesia 3 times during this process and on all kinds of pain meds so I think that is what has them concern.

Obgyn says its too early to tell. I have been under anesthesia 3 times during this process and on all kinds of pain meds so I think that is what has them concern.

Oh no...well I hope it all works out for the best.