Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel like I dont care about anything anymore

Its been a month and 3 days since my sleeve surgery and im really lost on what to do anymore..im taking antidepressants so idk if this has to do with it but i just feel like I dont care about anything anymore. I dont really have any emotions and all food tastes terrible. I get no joy out of food anymore and i feel like its only getting worse. All i really want to do is lay in bed all day so i don't have to face eating stuff that sucks anyway. All my friends and bf say I have become heartless. Has anyone gone through this or is this just my own mental problem?

Sent from my LGLS665 using the BariatricPal App

You're having an episode of depression. Trust me on this one. I've fought it off and on all my life. Stay on your meds give them 4 to 6 weeks. You may need to try a different medicine or you may need a combination of meds.

The important thing to remember is you can beat it. You can last longer than the symptoms, including lack of appetite. Don't give up. Ask your psychiatrist to refer u too a therapist. Talking will help u deal with your feelings. If you are religious seek help through priest, rabbi, minister, nun, etc. You've done something major to your body in order to help yourself. You have what it takes within you. You just can't see it right now.

But it's ok. Remember that. It will get better. I promise.

hang in there - stay in contact with your team and whomever is prescribing the anti depressants and know that all this is normal as you have a hormonal dump. I am not normally depressed and I went through a good month of depression after week 3. still not as perky as normal. sending you a warm hug.

I think I am going though the same thing. I have started to see the weight come off, but the saggy skin is so ugly. I feel like that will continue even though I am working out 3 to 4 days a week. I think I have done too much damage to my body. I am 56 years old and my skin is not as flexible as it used to be. Feeling like I am having a pity party for myself today.

Make sure you discussion your feelings and issues with your medical professionals

KittyCathy22, I want to apologize for piling on to your

topic. My response was not helpful at all,

I was having a pity party for myself stemmed by Mothers Day

weekend. This is a support forum, and I was not supportive.

As for you, I understand feeling blue from time to time, but if you have been in this state form more than a week, please contact a professonal that can help.

As for as support, there is much more to life than food. It takes some time to focus on these other things but it takes effort on your part. Get moving - excercise can truly

help. Even if it is walking around the block to get sunshine.

Another suggestion is to do something for someone else.

Taking our mind off our problems is helpful.

I have been on anti-depressents for years- if they are not taking effect, contact your doctor. They take about 3 weeks to kick in.

Lastly, focus on the reasons you had the surgery.. It was not to be able to eat the way you used to eat. It was to get healthy. THink of all the things you can do when you meet your goal. Focus on the prize. it is hard work, but you can do it. It is a mindset.

I will pray for you.. Best of luck to you..

Edited by Marie2016

Hang in there. You are still early post op and your body is adjusting. A ton of people have a lot of emotional issues the first few months due to the hormone release from the fat loss or something like that. Some people get angry, cry, etc.

Also, for me food tasted so terrible for about three months after surgery- it tasted so bad I would have to brush my teeth immediately after eating anything. That usually gets better for most of us... I am almost two years post op and everything tastes good again except fried things. So hopefully that will pass.

In addition, a lot of us go through a slight depression because our old friend food is gone and we are left trying to fill that void and it can be difficult for a little bit.. One thing that helped me was I started making myself do things outside of my comfort zone , these started off small; like getting a facial, joining a gym, venturing into and purchasing something from Victoria Secrets. As time past I began to have larger goals like learning to kayak, paddle board, camp, hike. Every time I stepped outside my comfort zone I began to focus on the life changes instead of the scale and what I could or couldn't eat and that helped me learn that food wasn't important anymore.

It is difficult but I am sure you will find your way and what works for you. Hang in there it does get better. In fact it can get downright fabulous!!

Since everyone else gave you the pep talk version of advice, I'm going to give you the opposite version. Embrace the misery. food tastes terrible and you don't want to eat? Good!! That's how you lose weight! You're unhappy and don't want to go out? Good! That means you're not tempted by booze and food you shouldn't be eating. You have a slim window of opportunity to lose the most weight as possible and being unhappy and hating food is a really great way to maximize on that time.

I read a book once and it said that most people don't lose weight because they haven't gotten quite miserable enough. No one has been mean enough to them, they haven't been hurt quite enough yet to really motivate them to do what needs to be done. At the time I thought, umm, well that's mean, but in hindsight it's true. I don't lose weight when I'm happy, but rather when I feel like a worthless loser that no one loves. The trick though is to not be sad and stuff your face to feel better, which it sounds like isn't your problem.

So, while yes, you're probably depressed, use it to your advantage. If you had to have a time in life where food disgusts you and you don't have much of a desire to socialize, immediately after the sleeve when you have the best chance to lose the most weight is pretty great timing.

Its been a month and 3 days since my sleeve surgery and im really lost on what to do anymore..im taking antidepressants so idk if this has to do with it but i just feel like I dont care about anything anymore. I dont really have any emotions and all food tastes terrible. I get no joy out of food anymore and i feel like its only getting worse. All i really want to do is lay in bed all day so i don't have to face eating stuff that sucks anyway. All my friends and bf say I have become heartless. Has anyone gone through this or is this just my own mental problem?

Sent from my LGLS665 using the BariatricPal App

when you lose a lot of weight the fat cells also release hormones which cause a very up and down roller coaster effect. Everyone goes through some kind of hormonal changes when losing weight. Just think before you speak and take advantage of the food not tasting good as it can cause you to lose somewhat faster. But exercise can help relief this too, so I recommend getting to the gym and on a treadmill.