Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do not drink with meals?

I have read numerous times that once we are banded we should not drink anything with our meals (and for a couple of hours after eating). However, I have yet to read why this is the case. I am curious and wondering if someone can fill me in on the answer. Thanks! Sheila

after you eat, the food will stay in your new little stomach longer if you don't drink fluids to push it through quicker. Then you should stay full longer. At least this is how I understand it. I read a lapband book.

Tammy

Hey, Tammy...or anybody...?

What's the name of that book and where might I get one? And is it helpful?

Lapband for life, the complete patietn guide to success with the lapband. Ariel Ortiz Lagardere MD FACS. I read it in one night, @240 pages. Got it off Amazon. I liked it alot. I read it just before my surgery. I'm sure I'll use it as a reference. Tammy

Oh... Nana, I forgot to tell you good luck on tuesday! Tammy

I do thank you!

Pam<-----off to order that book PRONTO!

Thanks Tammy for the response to my question regarding drinking during meals. It is always easier for me to follow a new way of doing things if I understand why. Now I understand. Sheila

In case someone hasn't mention, they also ask that you not drink anything at last 30 minutes before you eat. By doing this, the Fluid doesn't have a chance of filling you up before you eat.

I was a big Water hound before my lapband, now I have to make myself drink the amount the doctor wants me to consume.

Shame on your surgeon and nutritionist for not explaining about the drinking. Here is how I explain it when people ask why I don't drink with meals. Imagine a funnel (your pouch and band) in the top of a big jar. Now imagine pouring a can of Tomato paste into the funnel. It will stay there a long time before it finally trickles into the jar. But if you add Water in there the paste becomes more like tomato sauce or ketchup, and it will go through much faster. That's why you avoid water with meals.

Hiya - just wondering how long before/after meals you guys drink. I usually do 10 minutes before and 30 minutes after. I need to drink lots of Water so I can't really wait an hour or so (I've heard it being recommended and thought it was completely nuts)

Shame on your surgeon and nutritionist for not explaining about the drinking. Here is how I explain it when people ask why I don't drink with meals. Imagine a funnel (your pouch and band) in the top of a big jar. Now imagine pouring a can of Tomato paste into the funnel. It will stay there a long time before it finally trickles into the jar. But if you add Water in there the paste becomes more like tomato sauce or ketchup, and it will go through much faster. That's why you avoid Water with meals.

EXCELLENT explanation!!!!!! I will be using this!

Honky Tonks: Do you feel hungry often or do you stay feeling full after drinking 30 minutes after a meal? I really try to make it to at least an hour, usually make it 1.5 hours.

The analogy above says it all...when we drink too soon, we defeat the purpose of the band. My surgeon says "Drinking to soon will cause band failure and hunger will return more quickly" (paraphrased). I know it's tough to get in all our liquids with these rules, but with a little finess, it is possible :wacko:

I guess I get a little bit hungry after a couple of hours. It's been about 2 hours since I last ate and I haven't had anything to drink.. I'm just starting to feel less full.. I should try different times and see which ones work.

Kinda sucks cause I always feel thirsty after I eat. How do you guys get through it?

This is one of the harder adjustments to make for me as I am transitioning back to food. I always drank a lot of Water when I ate in my pre band life.

I am finding that this is especially true at Breakfast when I just have to get my morning coffee (usually half a cup if I am lucky now) plus eat Breakfast. For now I have decided on a liquid breakfast (coffee and a Protein shake) since I have such limited time in the morning and don't have the 20 - 30 minutes before and after eating to delay drinking.

It gets easier as the day goes on. When I get to work I get myself a 16 oz cup of Water and sip regularly. This keeps me satisfied until around 10 am or so when I have something small to eat like a small container of mixed fruit in light Syrup. Then for lunch I force myself to eat slowly taking at least 30 minutes to eat lunch. Then once the hour is over I can resume the water again and try to get in at least 32 oz at work.

Then after work I try to relax with some more water or V-8 before dinner then take my time eating (like lunch) and "forcing" myself to wait at least 20 - 30 minutes to drink again. Its tough and I have to admit that if my mouth is dry I do take a tiny sip within the time frame.

So far I am not feeling hungry that much at all. In fact I have to remind myself (with wife's help) to get in my 80 grams of Protein daily. This is usually topped off by a high protein snack about an hour before bed. I found South Beach Cereal Bars while shopping the other day. Only 140 calories and 10 grams of protein. Delicious and satisfying way to get added protein.

Lap-Band for Life by Dr. Ortiz is a great great read. I learned so much in there that I hadn't heard my doctor or anyone else on the boards mention!

I bought my copy from Amazon.com

I haven't been banded yet and was thinking about this, because I've been "practicing" I have a really hard time not drinking after eating...what about using sugar free mints after eating? think that will curve the drinking needs?