Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein shakes and food source protein

@@catwoman7 Thanks!! When did you have surgery? Just wondering how far out you are from it. Doesn't seem like a lot of food but maybe I've upped mine too much without realizing it!!!

@@catwoman7 Thanks!! When did you have surgery? Just wondering how far out you are from it. Doesn't seem like a lot of food but maybe I've upped mine too much without realizing it!!!

June 2015 - so 11 months ago. I try to keep my calories at about 1000, but admittedly, some days it's a struggle....

I had VSG not bypass but I get all my Protein through food (80+g a day). I haven't had a Protein shake in more than a year. I'm 5 days shy of my 2-year surgiversary

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My dietician recommended buying from powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury.com. She gave me some samples and I liked it. I made my first order last night. They have chicken flavor Protein powder to make

broth/soups, supplements, and different flavors of Protein powders. This websites sells stuff for people who either are interested in or had bariatric surgery.

I think you have to keep up the Protein forever, but you know there are Isopure RTD beverages you can buy. They have assorted flavors, 20oz. bottles 40gms of Protein in each bottle. I buy mine from Lucky Vitamin, they have the best prices. My favorite is blue raspberry. They are really good & there is no after taste.

I loved (isopure beverages)pre op...post op they tasted dreadful...ugh I have a whole case ...yuck

I got them from the Vitamin Shoppe

@@esskay77 - here's what I typically have: breakfast: Greek yogurt with a few berries on top lunch: 1 C cottage cheese or another thing of Greek yogurt (yesterday I had a few fresh veggies with my cottage cheese) dinner - usually a cup of some kind of stir-fry (meat & veggies, no rice), but last night I had 2.5 oz steak with a small salad I always make a "double" Protein shake (as in two scoops) and sip on it throughout the day. I also drink *a ton* of fluids - mostly Water & Crystal Light I try not to snack, but I keep the following around at home and at work "just in case": small cans of Tomato juice, instant miso Soup, Dannon Light & Fit yogurt (only 80 calories), sugar free fudgesicles, sugar free popsicles@@esskay77 - here's what I typically have: breakfast: Greek yogurt with a few berries on top lunch: 1 C cottage cheese or another thing of Greek yogurt (yesterday I had a few fresh veggies with my cottage cheese) dinner - usually a cup of some kind of stir-fry (meat & veggies, no rice), but last night I had 2.5 oz steak with a small salad I always make a "double" Protein Shake (as in two scoops) and sip on it throughout the day. I also drink *a ton* of fluids - mostly Water & Crystal Light I try not to snack, but I keep the following around at home and at work "just in case": small cans of tomato juice, instant miso Soup, Dannon Light & Fit yogurt (only 80 calories), sugar free fudgesicles, sugar free popsicles

Same here...Popsicles are a lifesaver and I keep nuts around and have them occasionally or nicks organic Snacks.If is a beef or turkey snack.It is like turkey or beef Jerky.No added sugar.It is high Protein and cuts the urge...head hunger etc.

I must have oatmeal for Fiber or else I get constipated.

@@mmy As far as I know, it doesn’t matter whether your Protein comes from food or shakes if you’re getting all that you need. You don’t need to keep up the shakes forever unless you’re having a hard time getting enough Protein from food.< /p>

By the way…I don’t know what size servings you’re thinking of for your chicken, cottage cheese, and oats, but I doubt if that’s enough for a day. A 4-ounce portion of chicken has about 30 grams of protein, a half-cup of cottage cheese has about 14, and oats have about 5, so that’s only 49 grams.

Still, though, that would be close, and I’m sure that wouldn’t be your whole day’s intake!

But back to your question: if you can get in your protein goals with food, you won’t need shakes.

Currently I find it really difficult to drink my Protein shakes. So I was really wondering if down the line I can manage to get in my recommended daily intake of Protein (which for me is around 60g) will I still have to drink my protein shake? I mean is protein not absorbed properly with bypass patients the same was many Vitamins and minerals are hence the need to supplement with Multi Vitamins? ?!

I'm thinking 1 chicken breast + 1 serving of cottage cheese + 1 serving of oats per day can meet my Recommended daily intake of protein

Also when I reach my goal weight and my weight stabilizes will I still need to take in this much of protein per day?

According to my nutritionist you don't need shakes to get enough protein. It may take a few months to get there though. I do a shake in the am with coffee because it is easy. Also Fairlife milk is low carb. Some people just drink that. You still need a lot of protein at goal weight. It has so many benefits.

My protein goal is 60-80 grams, but I try to get a least 70 now that I can eat meat without issue.

Edited by NewAngela

My dietician recommended buying from unjury.com. She gave me some samples and I liked it. I made my first order last night. They have chicken flavor Protein powder to make

broth/soups, supplements, and different flavors of Protein powders. This websites sells stuff for people who either are interested in or had bariatric surgery.

So far not a fan of Unjury. I tried some plain in Soup (ruined my soup) and stawberry sorbet. My Baritrack Protein Powder is still better.

I've cut back on my Protein Shakes to about two-three a week ( I mix my own with a high quality Protein and almond milk). Pre surgery I could handle the protein shakes that were pre-made...after survey my taste totally changed and I ended up throwing a dozen or so away.

However, I always start and end my day with protein....period. Breakfast is always Greek yogurt, a Protein Bar or occasionally some oats and I always add a scope of Protein Powder to all of it (of course with the exception of the bar). My snack (s) during the day always revolve around something with protein in it such as a scoop of Peanut Butter, some health nuts or some Jerky. I try to eat a small amount of protein about an hour before I head to bed.

For me I am only able to drink the pre-made Protein Shakes. I have the GNC lean swiss chocolate and rocket fuel. I believe that I will be on Protein shakes forever. Dr wants me at 100 grams of protein per day, and that's pretty impossible for me on just food alone