Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possibly due to what you mentioned.

I wonder if most of the people that regain, do so because of old habits creeping back in. That is eating more high caloric food, eating a little more than they should at a meal, eating/snacking on too many slider foods, not exercising, etc..

I've seen the term "slider food" several times around the forum, but I don't know what it means. It makes me think of mini burgers! What is it?

Slider foods are foods that you can eat without the restriction of your sleeve kicking in. Usually they are foods that dissolve easily in Water or foods with a high liquid content. Think of things like cheetos or cheez-its or cake. They "collapse" when wet, so they take up far less volume in your stomach than they do when they are dry. For me I can eat an almost infinite amount of potato chips or popcorn now at 20 months out. But I can still only eat 3-4 oz. of dense Protein, like chicken. As for foods with high liquid content, some examples would be Soup, chili, yogurt, anything in a heavy sauce.... all of those foods move through your sleeve more quickly because the liquid makes it easier (the same reason we're not supposed to eat and drink at the same time).

@@Babbs

@@CowgirlJane

it's not snarky at all. im sure i have much more to learn. the good and bad news for me is i don't eat right. i eat too fast and take too big a bite so i usually get sick before im done lol. i know this is bad but i rarely over eat due to this stupidity.

i think it will always be a fight but one i'm hoping we can all manage to win. also i paid $12,000 for this and i don't mean to have that come out to be a waste lol.

So, from what I hear from people years into it: you DO get hungrier as time goes on? Does your body learn to make more ghrelin or are your hungry empty fat cells sending the starvation signal to make you eat more?

I can see a problem of "getting lazy and instead of counting out 17 potatoe chips for a serving you take "a handful" and then it becomes "a large handful" and then it's "a bowl" and then it's a bag... And then you're at costco buying the big box with 30 smaller bags and you're in BIG trouble now because you have 30 bags of chips on your house!!!

I can see that happening. That is where diligence and being mindful and learning new habits is important...

But it is not what I am afraid of.

From what people have said I am afraid that you eat 1 egg, 1 piece of bacon, and a slice of Tomato for Breakfast and feel full and energized all morning....

...until suddenly a few years down the road you just DON'T. One day it just doesn't cut it anymore and you're hungry before lunch.... You HAVE to up it to 2 eggs (or whatever is the step up from where you have been) or you'll be hungry before your next meal.

Your eating hasn't changed but now it's not enough any more, and/or (even worse) now you gain on the same food!

Is this what happens?

Or is it more like the less scary (but still a genuine problem!) chip scenario?

Also:

Can you stop "slider foods" from sliding by, say, eating a bite of chicken?

Like (this might sound weird, I know nothing about it) say you want a muffin top but want to stop yourself going overboard and wanna make sure it lasts till your next meal... Could a bite of protoine act as... I dunno. A plug?

@@pr_pitbullgrl

I've always eaten too fast and take too big of bites. It's something I'm always trying to work on ;)

So, from what I hear from people years into it: you DO get hungrier as time goes on? Does your body learn to make more ghrelin or are your hungry empty fat cells sending the starvation signal to make you eat more?

I can see a problem of "getting lazy and instead of counting out 17 potatoe chips for a serving you take "a handful" and then it becomes "a large handful" and then it's "a bowl" and then it's a bag... And then you're at costco buying the big box with 30 smaller bags and you're in BIG trouble now because you have 30 bags of chips on your house!!!

I can see that happening. That is where diligence and being mindful and learning new habits is important...

But it is not what I am afraid of.

From what people have said I am afraid that you eat 1 egg, 1 piece of bacon, and a slice of Tomato for Breakfast and feel full and energized all morning....

...until suddenly a few years down the road you just DON'T. One day it just doesn't cut it anymore and you're hungry before lunch.... You HAVE to up it to 2 eggs (or whatever is the step up from where you have been) or you'll be hungry before your next meal.

Your eating hasn't changed but now it's not enough any more, and/or (even worse) now you gain on the same food!

Is this what happens?

Or is it more like the less scary (but still a genuine problem!) chip scenario?

From what I've seen, it's a little of both scenarios.

Honestly, I'm trying not to overthink things too much. If I do, I'll get discouraged and start the "what's the point?" spiral into bad habits again. I think even if we gain a little years down the road, is sure is better than where we began, no?

I actually live with a long time WLS person. My husband had the bypass 10 years ago this year. He initially lost 130 pounds, and has managed to more or less keep off 110 of it. He did have a 30 pound gain after he quit smoking, but with the help of medication, did manage to lose it again. He is fairly mindful of what he eats, but pretty much eats what he wants when he wants. He still has some restriction, but can certainly eat much more than years ago. I think the key to his success is they guy is ALWAYS busy. He spends very little time sitting around. I think he has been able to keep his metabolism ramped up that way.

This is a great thread

And it really is proof that WLS (of any type) is a tool - not the 'easy way out'...

Also:

Can you stop "slider foods" from sliding by, say, eating a bite of chicken?

Like (this might sound weird, I know nothing about it) say you want a muffin top but want to stop yourself going overboard and wanna make sure it lasts till your next meal... Could a bite of protoine act as... I dunno. A plug?

Yes, having Protein will always help fill you up some. My nutritionist told me to never eat carb-only Snacks for that very reason. Having an apple or toast? Put Peanut Butter on it. Having crackers? Put cheese or tuna salad on it. Never eat JUST an English muffin or JUST potato chips.< /p>

@@Medowsweet Yes! I always eat my Protein before I indulge in a piece of something that is a slider food because the protein prevents the slider from sliding. Then I'm full really fast, but I've satiated my taste for whatever I sampled.

Edited by sleevenv

Like @@KindaFamiliar said, this is a great thread!

WLS is a TOOL which is ONLY useful when it is worked.

It (tool) cannot work by itself.

Dont be discouraged.

i spent a LIFETIME of being obese or overweight and for the first time ever I CAN maintain. It isnt easy, yes your hunger returns but it went from impossible to living the dream!

Dont be discouraged.

i spent a LIFETIME of being obese or overweight and for the first time ever I CAN maintain. It isnt easy, yes your hunger returns but it went from impossible to living the dream!

you_are_fabulous. that's all. :D

@@CowgirlJane

How MUCH does your hunger return? Are you just hungry at or maybe a little befote meal times like a normal, not dieting person, (who makes smart choices and is naturally thin) or are you "kinda hungry all the time but not as bad as dieting without sleeve"

How is SATIETY? How long are you full between meals?

Do protine shakes keep you feeling satisfied?

Before sleeve were you obese your whole like?

Does one piece of cake on someone's birthday leave you craving cake and junk for a week?

I am working my way back too! I still need to lose 48 pounds (which is a little child). I have spent the last six weeks exceriseing, drinking Water and eating healthy things. I am constantly telling my head to get back on track. It is working but slower than I thought the scale is moving down. I was off due to depression and several post-sleeve operations. Yeah I gained and now I am losing. I will never give up! This is the first time that I admitted gaining. This has not been easy but this tool is very helpful.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

Edited by LadyK44