Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's shocking that you can gain on so few calories even as a runner. I'm a runner now too and have to force myself to eat 2200-2400 calories a dayto not lose anymore weight at 20 months out. I seriously have to eat 8 times a day to get enough calories in.

Lol!! Yes, I used to be that way too! Then I switched from marathons to ultra, started running long, but slower, and that's when I started gaining. It's been a challenge ever since. It just so happened that I was also three years out too. The last year has been a challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Have you talked to your NUT about this. This kind of running/training sounds like you would need a very specialized diet. Maybe you are gaining because your body is fighting for nutrients?

Metabolism is metabolism no matter how u eat or dont.

Metabolism is metabolism no matter how u eat or dont.

Hum, how you eat and what you eat and when you eat has a very big impact on metabolism. It isn't some static thing. It is a complex system.

Drinking Water impacts your metabolism.

sleep impacts your metabolism.

Protein impacts your metabolism.

Exercise impacts your metabolism.

Not eating impacts your metabolism.

Yo-yo dieting impacts your metabolism.

Your body mass/fat to muscle ratio impacts your metabolism.

But there is a mathematical equation that cannot be contested as simple as 1+1 =2. We cobsume fewer calories after wls. The body loses. The metablolism slows. The only way to continue the liss is to consume fewer and fewer calories. And to up the exercise. If you cannot maintain the exercise regime for whatever reason, you gain. How low can u go with calories and still have adequate Protein consumption? Assume u can get nutients from chewable supplements and assume u r psychologically satisfied with that regime as well(...i was not...i need to chew...) but assume all other things being equal, we are able to muck thru that..each time we reduce caloric intake and lose, the matabolism slows even more to fight back..is this a sustainable life ?

I hardly think so.

But there is a mathematical equation that cannot be contested as simple as 1+1 =2. We cobsume fewer calories after wls. The body loses. The metablolism slows. The only way to continue the liss is to consume fewer and fewer calories. And to up the exercise. If you cannot maintain the exercise regime for whatever reason, you gain. How low can u go with calories and still have adequate Protein consumption? Assume u can get nutients from chewable supplements and assume u r psychologically satisfied with that regime as well(...i was not...i need to chew...) but assume all other things being equal, we are able to muck thru that..each time we reduce caloric intake and lose, the matabolism slows even more to fight back..is this a sustainable life ?

I hardly think so.

This is simply not true. Our bodies are not simple machines, they are complex systems.

Please read some of the veterans posts. They have done their program for years and many are very content to keep off so much weight for so long. As never before.truly!

They work at it and TRY daily to do their best.

Nothing is perfect and some do not reach "goal" but are happy to keep off

X pounds for many years.

( that would include me, headed for 10 years and thrilled to be my high school weight.) still maintaining my loss .

Do I have brief regains? Yes

Do I continue with Protein, Water and exercise? Every damn week I do all those.

Do I have loss when on track ? Yes.

I cannot worry about other studies... I'm busy conducting my life in the healthiest manner I know how.

Keep trying. It is so worth it!

The alternative is living life as a very fat 61 year old, and I'm not doing that.

@@reallyrosy "Is this a sustainable life? I hardly think so".

Wow.... I just came home from a weekend trip to Daytona Beach with my family. I'm a little over 3 weeks out and I'm sure you could claim that it's all rosy for me now, I'm in the honeymoon phase. Fine. That being said, for the first time in many many years I spent the day on the beach playing paddle ball, riding bikes and playing in the ocean. In the past I hid in the room reading a book. My husband and I saw a concert on Friday night. In the past I bellied up to the bar to get tipsy enough to not feel self conscious. This time I was IN A CONGA LINE completely sober. My kids and husband don't know what to say. For the first time I posed for a family picture (my standard line in the past I was like the Lockness Monster- I existed but no photos) and they all have their mouths hanging open in the picture they are in such shock.

Anyway the point I'm trying to make is with this surgery I FEEL LIKE I GOT MY LIFE BACK. "Is this a sustainable life?" What a sad way to look at it. This is going to be hard work but I'm completely committed to fighting the fight so I live this life not just exist on the fringes.

I hope you find the willpower and fight to give it your all with this amazing tool you have been so fortunate to acquire. I wish you the best.

@@reallyrosy The way in which you lose weight and how quickly you lose weight definitely impacts your metabolism. The contestants on the Biggest Loser lose weight incredibly quickly by having a MASSIVE daily calorie deficit. We are talking calorie deficits of 7000-9000 a day! That is insanity. Of course that's going to wreck your metabolism! Unless you are starting at 600+ pounds to where your Basal Metabolic Rate is something crazy, like 10,000 calories a day, there is no way that a WLS patient is going to have the same kind of calorie deficit Biggest Loser contestants do.

I don't know how old you are, but I plugged your other stats into a BMR calculator and, if you are sedentary, you're BMR is only 2101. In that case, you are in absolutely NO danger of having the caloric deficit of a Biggest Loser contestant post-WLS. You will likely have a much more modest deficit of 500-1000 calories a day unless you drastically increase your level of activity. A deficit like that is going to allow you to lose slowly and not wreck your metabolism.

70. What bmr am i looking for???

Wait a minit...i thought we were not counting calories but Protein and limiting carbsm. At least thats what ive been doing tonthe best of my abilty aince 2011. This year i actually tasted matzah for the first time. I still have the unfinished box here. Have no desire for more. Have not touched other simple carbs at all. I went to the BRM site and calculated that i need 2,098 calories or 2,365. I am going to try a different diet and see what that does. But i will not resume simple carbs. I know i can't do that without reverting to addictive behavior. I cant believe im actually eating that many calories every day. Back to the drawing board. Thanks, JAMIELOGICAL.

@@jaxmom

I took a trip to wales two years ago . Had a wonderful time. sobbed to sit in the airplane and not need 2 extenders for setbelt. Did not have to have two seats. My thighs did not go numb while seated. So yeah, i did appreciate the loss. But the gain is frighteningly fast. It took me a year and a half to become physically able to make that trip. Now,declining physical ability is throwing me for a loop.

No matter how you break it down, weight loss still boils down to energy in versus energy out. By putting Protein first, relying on your restriction, avoiding grazing, not eating slider foods, not drinking your calories, not eating and drinking at the same time, and staying as active as possible, things should even out pretty well for most people. If, however, regain or stalls become an issue, it is DEFINITELY a good idea to closely examine calories and macronutrients to see what might be going on. In a perfect world, we could all eat our protein, walk a couple miles a day, and happily maintain at our ideal weight. Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world and it is easy for things to go awry. So having as much information as you can to be able to identify the problems and work to improve them is the way to go.

I resemble that remark "not a perfect world" or anything else. I restarted the fitness pal etc. Will see where that goes.

@reallyrosy- I appreciate you sharing your story- I really do. Sometimes it's good for a newbie like myself to hear from the veterans like yourself how it's not always sunshine and happiness. It is work. It sounds like you are committed to getting back on track though. I will keep your story in mind, trust me, moving forward. Take care.