Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting used to losing - permanently

So, I got banded on 8/6. I'm down about 12 pounds already. The thing is, I can't seem to generate that excited "Yay! I'm losing!" feeling. I've had it about a million times before - every other time I tried to lose weight - but then the weight always came back. Sometimes with astonishing speed. I regained 45 pounds in 6 weeks after my shake diet last year. :phanvan

So what's the deal? How come THIS time - the time that is most likely to be permanent - I feel so blah? What about that "Today is the first day of the rest of my life!" feeling I was looking forward too? :)

That yahoo feeling will come when that scale continues to go down after you are banded and it doesn't come back - not meaning that your weight doesn't fluctuate, because it does but the next day it is usually down again! My husband gets excited for me when I say ----Yahoo another pound.

I am going through the same thing. I have lost 25 lbs so far and its like I am numb or something. It is a shame because 25 lbs is a big deal but I am like whatever...I guess it is from feeling let down so many times before.

I hear ya! I've lost about 68 lbs so far (combination of pre and post-band loss) and I'm still not getting that excited feeling. It's frustrating when folks are starting to notice and are excited for me and I'm not gleeful.

It's weird as heck!

I am so glad to hear I'm not crazy!!! Seriously, it's so nice just to know that others have the same weird letdown. :)

I am at gola weight. I have been for over a year now, and I don't, and never did have that feeling. I mean, I was happy that I was losing, thrilled when I got to goal, but for my money, while losing weight was a big thing in my life, there are other more exciting things to feel thrilled about.

I think I have just put weight loss into perspective. It's great, but its not my whole life.

I am at gola weight. I have been for over a year now, and I don't, and never did have that feeling. I mean, I was happy that I was losing, thrilled when I got to goal, but for my money, while losing weight was a big thing in my life, there are other more exciting things to feel thrilled about.

I think I have just put weight loss into perspective. It's great, but its not my whole life.

Wow, putting weight loss into perspective? I have fought this fight my whole life. I am 43 years old. I can't even begin to imagine not thinking about it or worrying over it. Or how about being treated like a normal person and not some lazy overweight piece of crap. I am happy for you that you have it like that. I get my band on August 29 th. 1 pound or 100 pounds I will be thankful for every one. Yes, there are other exciting things in life, but right now this is the most important thing to me... Maybe when I get to goal I will feel different. But I wonder how anyone would feel if they had to lose their band. I bet then you would feel way different.

Please don't think I am being mean. I just can't imagine it not being a "BIG" part of my life right now.

Congrats on your journey!

Mary

I can relate to the feelings of not being excited about the weight loss - it doesn't seem real. I will be banded on the 24th of August, and am starting to lose on the pre-brand diet (Optifast), but my personal history has been lose 20 - 25 pounds and within a few months regain that plus another 20. The only time my weight seemed to stabalize (I didn't gain) was when I quit trying to lose.

My expectation is that these feelings will change once I surpass my previous losses and continue to lose. That will be the turning point.

Cindy:clap2:

The difference is that you KNOW that this time is it, is real, and is long term. That you really are changing, and that you have come so far to reach this point, that instead of feeling Eurphoria, what you are feeling is the PEACE of KNOWING.

That is definitely the case for me. That joyous "high" of losing weight in the past for me has always been a kind of "Make hay while the sun shines" joy, because I knew in my heart I should enjoy it while I could, because the weight would ultimately be back. After the first couple spins on the diet and re-gain it wheel, I don't think I ever believed again that my loss was permanent.

Now I know it is. And that feels like peace of mind, not euphoria.

I have to say I am very excited about losing weight - 38lbs so far is wonderful! But Maybe the overall issue is after having gone so far as to have surgery and alter how you eat for the rest of your life we have a little bit of a subconscious let down because it's not an instant fix...wake up and be half way there or something, although I know that is not even a possibility - I guess that my secret heart of hearts has seen way to many bewitched and I dream of Jeanie episodes!

Be proud of yourself though! I mean, you still have the option to eat ice cream and fill up on junk...so every day you don't you have won a small victory for your body and ultimately all those small victories will lead you to what is for all of us the bigger goal! Being happier, healthier people! Otherwise who would have gone through all of this and spent all that money! Take care!

Chris

This loosing weight business takes a lot of head work. Because we (at least I) have lost and gained it all back so many times before, it seems natural to believe it will happen again. Except that it won't, because this time we are not alone, we have this wonderful tool to help us along and keep us on track. It still takes change in lifestyle, and that's where the head work comes in. But I agree with dialit, this time for me is more about peace of mind and less about euphoria.

I think too that I am not looking forward to people seeing me lose *again*. You walk around and hear people say, "Oh, you look great! What are you doing to lose weight?" Is the "this time" implied, or is that just me?? And while I don't want to tell the world, "This time it's for real! It's forever! I've got my band!", it saddens me to think that most people will walk off thinking, "She's just going to gain it back."

I KNOW I need to not give a damn what others think, but it's so hard to ignore. The truly important people in my life - my kids and husband - know about the band and are so proud of me for making this choice. They're the ones I don't want to disappoint - again.

Dialit has a really good point. Peace of Mind. WoW! I haven't had that in about 30 year of my 35! I can remember worrying about weight as young as 5/6. So, I am wanting the euphoria and the peace of mind. I want the high that comes with being a person with a good Self Esteem and not giving a D@#$ what others think! I want to know that I am the best I can be, my weight has always put a big glitch in the way I see myself. Thats the euphoria I am shooting for! Peace Of Mind is the not having to battle with the ups and downs of weight loss/gain. Not having to battle with food.....oh, oh, I want one more bite! For me, you see, it is a mixture of both euphoria and peace. A euphoric peace!

I think I have a sense of freedom more than excitement. Its hard to appreciate though because my body is moving way faster than my brain. I look in the mirror and don't recognize myself. Yesterday I was out on my hammock and when getting up I caught a glimpse of my thigh. Did I say my thigh? This thigh was attached to my body but it sure wasn't mine. It was too slim and tan. It was a total disconnect. Today I will talk to my therapist about these feelings and try to work them through.

I think too that I am not looking forward to people seeing me lose *again*. You walk around and hear people say, "Oh, you look great! What are you doing to lose weight?" Is the "this time" implied, or is that just me?? And while I don't want to tell the world, "This time it's for real! It's forever! I've got my band!", it saddens me to think that most people will walk off thinking, "She's just going to gain it back."

I'm right there with ya. the "this time" is definitely implied. Or when they say "So-and-so had that surgery and she gained it all back a year later." Puh-lease!! Can these people not be supportive!?! Morons!! :lol:

Sigh. That's why I come here for extra support.:biggrin1:

Madfroglady.

weight.png

event.png