Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to get enough energy for hard workouts?

Hiya bariatric babes I need workout advice...

I'm less than 2 months out from RNY GBP, and I've been feeling pretty good and doing moderate workouts for several weeks now, including tennis and some moderate stuff like jog/walking, planks, squats, etc... I just got the courage to go back to Crossfit tonight but I have no idea how to get enough juice for a tough workout like that! I about died! Lol!

With tennis I just make sure to have a Powerade Zero and that usually has been keeping my energy up and me hydrated, but with more intense workouts, I am at a loss! I can't "chug" anything prior, having food in my stomach never turns out well during a workout, and I can't have sugar (like Sports Beans or Gu or Blocks) so I don't know how to not run out of steam!

Does anyone have any advice?

I was on the smaller end of the spectrum pre-surgery, and have always kept pretty active, but it's been really hard adjusting to my new body's needs and I'm just hoping for some tips!

I definitely feel up to the workout, so it's not that, I just need some bariatric friendly workout and energy tips!!

Thanks guys! I love this site ❤️

I wonder if this was only in my head... seems like no one is having the same energy issues with workouts. I just wonder how to still have steam on the low calorie intake we have in this early stage. I see people on Instagram all the time working out post-surgery and it seems like they must know something I don't ;)

I have started training for a marathon. I had to up my calories a bit because I kept hitting a wall when I worked out. (I am currently only running about 3 miles 5 times a week, but I was still at 800 calories a day.) Now at 1000 calories, I have the energy and I am still losing. I will likely have to adjust that from time to time as my mileage continues to climb. I generally eat a small afternoon snack and then go to the gym about an hour later after work. Then I go home for supper. If I work out in the morning, I drink a Protein shake before I go and the eat a hardboiled egg for Breakfast.

Good luck

pam

I struggle with the same thing. I am definitely still low energy. My surgery was 3/9/16. I think it is pretty common to be totes the first few months. I guess no one posts they are too tired to work out in Instagram. I have done workouts, but I was super tired the next day. Everyone keeps telling me it is still very early on. I have a bariatric small group training I do that really helps.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks guys! <3

Protein and maybe need to up your calories on the days you workout.