Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op discomfort

becka, I too am 2 days post op and can drink very little. I was worried about the amount of time I spend sleeping although today it seems to be a bit better. I was very weak this morning but have taken 2 glasses of gastrolyte. That seems to have helped. Are you having this problem?

I'm five days post op and I still find myself sleeping more during the day than usual. I never nap and I have been needing one in the afternoon. I slept alot in the first few days but I find it is getting better. In fact my pastor came to visit and apparently I fell asleep in the middle of a conversation... Talk about embarassing..

My 2 cents....First, thanks for all the support I got from this site re being insistent on having the surgeon's staff really listen to what I was saying.

Second, the lesson learned. If you are 3 days post/op and NOTHING stays down (as was my case) do not let the doctor's staff brush you off by stating that the condition is SOP. We can live off our fat for quite a while, but not without hydration. A strategic test had not been preformed prior to my release and nothing was progressing into my stomach. After perfecting PBing for 2 1/2days out, the surgeon had me admitted via ER and locked up for 4 days with IVs running constantly. If you are even PBing the smallest amounts of Water, be very cautious. It's a heck of a way to drop 12lbs. quickly (207 to 195).

brandottieo1, thank you for your quick response. It's nice to know people really care and keep in touch thru this web site. Thanks so much. It would be embarassing to fall asleep during a pastors visit! lol Good luck to you. gayle

It is so good to hear so many similar stories and know that what I was feeling was normal. I am now five days out and feeling so much better - I can still only take little amounts but what stops me form taking more is feeling full and satisfied. LOL whole reason for the band I guess. I have noticed though wanting to sleep so much more although today I feel a lot more awake - I guess in the end even though it might not seem like a huge surgery your body still needs to recover and the best recovery is done while sleeping - Thanks goodness for taking a week off work.

your welcome gayle. I find myself online at night trying to figure out if what I am feeling is normal. I do love this site and information that is on it.

I think what you all are experiencing is normal. Beka, you're right. You've just had surgery. Your body needs time to recover. You're gonna feel tired and want to sleep more than usual. That happened w/me. I am definitely NOT a nap taker, but while recovering, I took one faithfully.

As for the limited amount of 'food' (liquids) going in right now, that's due to the swelling and restriction you have. Don't worry about it and just sip from the moment you wake up, until you go to bed. That's what my dietician had me do. And I do mean sip. Now, if you're to the point where you can't keep liquids down, that definitely requires a call to the doc.

Just continue to follow your doc's/dietician's orders and you should be fine.

And welcome to Bandland!!!

Cam, I was having trouble with the nausea as well. It finally occurred to me that I was low on salt, and that is what was making be throw up. I try to get at least some boullion in every day now, and no nausea ~

Hope that helps!

<p>What you guys were/are experiencing is absolutely normal. I don't think I drank much of anything for the first two days after surgery. You have a general feeling that there is a big glove surrounding your food canal and squeezing. That's your body going "WHOA! What's THIS!" to the band, and trying to heal. Everything feels tender after surgery, and this is no exception. About 2 weeks out you will really start to feel human again. A couple of things you will experience to a great extent probably for the first time though are (1) you will burp....a LOT....this is GREAT. You're getting rid of the air they pump into you for surgery...that's the gas you feel crawling around inside you and generally settling PAINFULLY up in your shoulder, neck, etc.... (2) you will....uh....fart....a LOT. Get used to ducking into other rooms or stepping outside of a building...by the way, I didn't notice much, if any smell at all (TMI, I know...but as long as we are getting things in the open....) (3) you will GROWL and I mean GROWL a LOT and LOUD. The growlies are amazing. Kindof feels like an earthquake in your tummy. Growlies will be a part of your life pretty much from now on (I call it my Beast....it tells me when it needs something put in to shut it up) and was something as a fat person I had never experienced (who waits long enough for your stomach to growl before feeding it....ha! Not ME!). The audible growlies seemed to have lessened after my first month or so, but I still growl about every three hours or so, just not so people across the room can hear anymore! HAHAHA!</p>

I had to laugh at the "growlies". I have been hearing that as well and thought "what the heck is that?". I assumed it was a hunger pain, although I wasn't sure I was 'hungry' - it's kinda hard to tell at first, because you are right, I never waited until I was hungry to eat. If I had, I probably wouldn't be in this predicament. It is an odd sensation but I am actually glad to assume that my body is still able to actually signal me in this way. I would have thought that this mechanism would have retired by now!