Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birth control and after surg maintenance questions

Hi everyone! My name is Emily age 25, mother of two boys youngest age 2. I am scheduled for the sleeve surgery on May 26th and can't wait. I have heard many myths and unsure what is true, after I loose a lot of weight will my Mirena IUD be just as effective? I was told that after the first year weight loss slows down a lot, what should I do if that happens or what have you done to continue taking weight off after year one? I am starting to buy Protein drinks, I hate the chalky taste but love chocolate, what are the best Protein powders or shakes out there and where can I get the best deal financially?

Thank you for any advice!

I don't see why Mirena wouldn't work after weight loss. You do become more fertile but I believe Mirena is a good choice for birth control. Double check with your Surgeon though. Weight loss slows down but you can still lose by following the food plan. Some do a restart by going back to the post-op diet. Don't buy too much now because you might not like them after surgery. Premier Protein shakes are good and reasonable (can get a case of them at costco or BJs). Good luck on your journey!

Have you been to an intro lecture yet by a bariatric surgeon? They usually last about 3 hours -- they're free and there's no obligation to work with the surgeon who's giving the lecture.

If you haven't done one yet, you should arrange to attend one soon. You'll clear up so much confusion by doing so.

​I can't comment on the IUD because I don't have any experience with that, nor am I at maintenance. But, I can say that Premiere Protien shakes have been a lifesaver for me. vanilla or strawberry are my favorite, they are not as expensive as some and I have even found them on sale at Walmart.< /span>

The IUD should be fine but Followup with your doctor to be sure. I have tried tons of shakes and so far Herbalife is my favorite for flavor. They also have a tasteless Protein Powder than can be added to Clear Liquids, Meal Replacement shakes and full liquids not to mention the puréed foods.

Thank you very much for the feedback

An IUD was my surgeon's top recommendation for birth control, so I'm sure there are no worries about loss of effectiveness. I was told the only method that could be a concern after WLS is the pill, and even then only because of possible vomiting issues (the tablet is tiny enough to not be of concern otherwise).

As for chocolate Protein, I highly recommend Unjury. They have two chocolate flavors (classic is a lighter chocolate taste, splendor is richer) that are absolutely delicious. They are truly indistinguishable from chocolate milk. In the winter I even drank them warm for hot cocoa.