Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 16th surgery buddies?.....Let's do this together!

Alright, I'm sorry to be a whiney butt but these Protein shakes the dr prescribed are crap.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

What brand? A lot of them do suck! Frankly I think the surgeons should give us perimeters to stay within nutrition wise with the shakes, and let us pick the brand we like.

I used Chike Protein on my first attempt, and to me they kind of sucked compared to Pure Protein that I normally used prior to the pre-op diet.

Good luck!!

My surgery is set for May 16th as well! I am on the final week of the pre op diet and it's starting to set in that I'm actually going to go through with it! I'm super excited & a little nervous, too. I've been obsessed with watching youtube videos regarding pre & post op situations. Let's do this!!!

Mine is may 16th I'm in Texas.startong liquids tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G386T using the BariatricPal App

I'm in Texas as well!!! And I'm on the 16th! What part of Texas are you in?

I'm on day 6 too! Stuggling to get all these fluids in! And all these vitamins! How do you do it?! I know I will probably have to go get chewables asap!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

@@scampbell33, this diet is just hell on Earth, isn't it?

Water: I drink a lot of it anyway, but I do have to work at it to get this much. I believe that the more I drink, the less hideous my fasting side effects are. I seem to do better in general with more Water. I use a tracker to keep up with how much I've had (personally I use Fitbit but there are many other free apps to track food & water). Are you tracking?

Vitamins: My doctor just wants me on a good multi right now + D and magnesium. I normally have many more Vitamins to take every day than I do now pre-op, so that part isn't impacting me. I also have quite a few prescription drugs. I use a big pill sorter that has AM, PM and 7 days of the week compartments. I just sort them all into that once a week and done.

My biggest struggles are the exhaustion and the deprivation. My brain is not firing on all cylinders at work or in general. I start out okay in the morning, but by the afternoon I'm just whipped, in every way. Ugh. I'm just trying to keep my eye on the prize. Hang in there!

Day 7 of liquid pre op diet. so far so good. Scared to have a bite of anything not on my list and have not had one bite of anything that I shouldn't. Not weighing myself until surgery day (17th) but I feel like if lost some weight. There have been moments (just moments) where I'd like to have a chunk of chicken or something but the moments pass. I get to have greek yogurt (which in the evening is like manna from heaven). Other than that it's the Protein shakes, low fat cottage cheese, creamed Soups and lots of liquids. I've been getting in about 110 oz of liquid a day, some days a little more, some a little less. The first 4 days I was only getting about 500-550 calories a day and by day 5 the weakness and irritability was hitting me so I upped the cals that day (I'm allowed 800-1000) and that made a big difference. Feeling great today. Much better. I was at my mother in laws yesterday for Mothers Day and they had tons of food there and I have two little ones that I have to feed so I have had to be around food and deal with it. I am finding that keeping a good mindset is making such a difference. Instead of feeling deprived I'm feeling alive with the excitement over what this all means. I told my kids with confidence that next year around this time were going to Disneyworld (probably more for me than them!). I am so looking forward to being ALIVE for a change. Not that I haven't been alive obviously but there's different ways of being alive and I'm sick of this so called way of life. As a good friend said years ago, everything we do is either life giving or life taking. Every bite of food can be looked at this way too. Being on a liquid pre op diet, getting the surgery, dealing with the difficulties ahead, eating differently are all life giving things. And that sounds like a win-win to me.

@@jackbh, thank you so much for your post. I don't know how you do it, all of the food and celebrations you've been having to endure. It's been so hard to smell and see food. I just want to sniff everything and salivate like a dog. :)

Your positive outlook is very uplifting for me. You are right, every choice is either life-giving or life-taking.

So how's everyone doing?......nerves kicking in yet? I think for me I'm still at the excited stage. If I know myself well enough my guess is that the nerves will start getting the best of me around Friday or Saturday..

My doctor prescribed Valium for me to take at bed time once the nerves start, which I know I'll be very grateful I have when the time comes....

Just think fellow May 16th sleevers, this time next week it'll be all over and we'll all be on the road to recovery and a much healthier and happy life! :):D :wacko: :blink:

Mine is the 18th, I've already been not able to sleep. Waking up from nightmares of waking up during surgery, falling off the table. Just stupid stuff.

Had my pre op today, to my surprise they did no tests just a physical.

Told me to stop taking my Vitamins today, can still take my meds with enough Water to take them morning of.

Getting stuff situated at home, getting my sons clothes ready for school for the time I'm in the hospital, my mother will be here with him.

Can't wait to get it over with

Good luck to everyone.

Can I jump in this thread? I know I'm late to the party and my surgery isn't until May 17th but I'd like some buddies! I'm on day 4 of the pre-op diet and it's finally getting easier, I think? The first 2 days were horrible. it still doesn't seem real to me?

Edited by JosieJ

T minus 6 days! It will be here before we know it!

I have to be at the Surgery Center at 5:30 am so I must be one of the first on Monday. Honestly, I still can't believe I am doing it. From reading all the post on here, I know I will feel completely different after everything is said and done but it still seems crazy that I am here getting surgery!!

liquid diet day 9: first couple of days I had a terrible attitude about the whole thing. " I'm going to be grumpy, starving and useless while on this crazy no chew diet!" And guess what?? I was BUT I decided on the third day to suck it up, put my big girl panties on and remember this too shall pass. After that, I was no longer hell on wheels, only slightly hungry from time to time and quite handy once and awhile. ;)

What I have learned is attitude is everything. Yes, I dislike the shakes my Dr has me on but I drink it anyway and look forward to my 1 cup of broth and 1 cup of Jello a day. I am tired but honestly, I was always tired. Having a baby who wakes up at night did that for me before I started the liquids. So basically keep your head up if you are struggling with the preop liquid diet. As many have said before, it gets easier (or you just adapt and get used to it). This too shall pass!

Cheers to everyone on their liquid diet as I drink my lunch now! We got this!!!!

@evette305....I think that describes where I am pretty much too.........excited and OMG!!!! hahahaha

Mine is the 18th, I've already been not able to sleep. Waking up from nightmares of waking up during surgery, falling off the table. Just stupid stuff.

Had my pre op today, to my surprise they did no tests just a physical.

Told me to stop taking my Vitamins today, can still take my meds with enough Water to take them morning of.

Getting stuff situated at home, getting my sons clothes ready for school for the time I'm in the hospital, my mother will be here with him.

Can't wait to get it over with

Good luck to everyone.

I'm also having mine on the 18th! Good luck and best wishes to ya!! I'm pre-op appt is tomorrow

♡♡Tamara♡♡

@@vongphillips

I decided on the third day to suck it up, put my big girl panties on and remember this too shall pass. After that, I was no longer hell on wheels, only slightly hungry from time to time and quite handy once and awhile. ;)

Love it!

Edited by cheerios45