Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second guessing choice for sleeve

I know I'm going to get yelled at for this...but only my opinion...but if i only had 50lbs to loose i wouldn't have surgery at all

But i woukd definately vote for sleeve over bypass but you really should discuss with your surgeon

I have had this same thought going through my head all day. Surgery should be last resort for morbidly obese or obese with comorbities. I can't imagine going through WLS when only having 50lbs or less to lose. Someone going through surgery next week is starting at my GOAL weight.

I know I'm going to get yelled at for this...but only my opinion...but if i only had 50lbs to loose i wouldn't have surgery at all

But i woukd definately vote for sleeve over bypass but you really should discuss with your surgeon

I have had this same thought going through my head all day. Surgery should be last resort for morbidly obese or obese with comorbities. I can't imagine going through WLS when only having 50lbs or less to lose. Someone going through surgery next week is starting at my GOAL weight.

that's kind of my thought too. Obviously I was in a different starting place than the original poster but back then 50 lbs for me wasn't that much. I gained and lost that much all the time.

because my starting weight was so high I often see people talking about getting surgery who are within 50lbs of my goal weight...makes me really think about how horribly big I was before

Sophie- 150!! That's awesome!!!!!! Good for you and thanks for sharing your success. Gotta say how cute those cats are too!!! :) :) :) :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

For me, the sleeve was about weight *maintenance*, not weight loss. I had managed to lose significant amounts of weight on my own many times, but could never maintain that loss. So it doesn't matter whether someone has 50 pounds or 150 pounds to lose. If they can't maintain a healthy weight on their own once the get there, WLS can be a great tool for them.

For me, the sleeve was about weight *maintenance*, not weight loss. I had managed to lose significant amounts of weight on my own many times, but could never maintain that loss. So it doesn't matter whether someone has 50 pounds or 150 pounds to lose. If they can't maintain a healthy weight on their own once the get there, WLS can be a great tool for them.

What was your highest weight? I just can't imagine going through major surgery if my highest weight was 167lbs. But - I guess if I did I wouldn't have gotten to 289lbs.

I don't know if you're referring to me or not but by all measures I AM morbidly obese - hence the reason I'm having surgery AGAIN. My BMI is right at 41. I need to lose 100 lbs to be at my desired weight but I said I would be thrilled with 50-75 - more because I haven't seen that weight in 20+ years and I can't imagine what it's like. If I have the sleeve and with work that's all that comes off I'm good with that. But having comorbidities and being unable to lose on my own, surgery IS a last resort I'm not rushing into without some thought.

I had a band and am going with the bypass. I was given the option for the sleeve and am choosing not to do it for the following reasons:

-if you have reflux already there is a large chance it will get worse with the sleeve and the only real way to resolve it is a bypass

-the bypass is recommended for metabolic disorders and since your pre diabetic it would help directly with that

-if your "healthy" weight is 100lbs less the bypass will get you closer. I have about 100 to lose myself.

-lastly if anything goes wrong with you sleeve the fix is usually a bypass. For me just going straight to the bypass seemed like it would get rid of all the extra hassle that might come up

If you ha by had the surgery yet you can always change it. Good luck

What was your highest weight? I just can't imagine going through major surgery if my highest weight was 167lbs. But - I guess if I did I wouldn't have gotten to 289lbs.

My highest weight was 270. I'd been as low as the 170's on my own once and below 200 several times. When I decided to get sleeved, I was 260. I knew I could lose the weight again on my own, but I also knew that I'd regained it 100% of the time in the past so something needed to be different this time. And since they don't typically perform WLS on skinny people, I decided I should have it while I was still fat.

I don't know if you're referring to me or not but by all measures I AM morbidly obese - hence the reason I'm having surgery AGAIN. My BMI is right at 41. I need to lose 100 lbs to be at my desired weight but I said I would be thrilled with 50-75 - more because I haven't seen that weight in 20+ years and I can't imagine what it's like. If I have the sleeve and with work that's all that comes off I'm good with that. But having comorbidities and being unable to lose on my own, surgery IS a last resort I'm not rushing into without some thought.

I read your post and understood exactly what you were saying. There was no doubt to me that you said you need to lose around 100 lbs but you would be happy at 50 or 75. I am like you. My BMI is 39 and I should lose around during 90 lbs but man would I be tickled pink to lose 75. I am 56 years old and haven't had to chase kids around for many many years but would consider it a victory to be able to do the things I love to do more comfortably, stop shopping for online muu muus , garden, and look at myself in the mirror without disgust!

PS I found out a few hours ago that I was approved!!! Cannot wait to get rid of this damn band and get sleeved!!

I wouldn't say VSG for WLS is really all that "new". I personally know someone who had it done in 2010 and I know for a certain this surgery was somewhat common before that. She is still maintaining the majority of her loss. Of course bypass has been around much longer, but there are going to be success stories and regain stories for any WLS, even bypass.

There are going to be pros and cons for each WLS.

For me, my huge turn-off towards bypass was the lifelong malabsorption risks. There are serious issues that can arise due to prolonged vitamin/mineral deficiencies. I don't trust myself enough to be as diligent with Vitamins for the rest of my life as is required for bypass patients. Of course you still need to take Vitamins with VSG, but you are not rerouting a part of your digestive system that naturally absorbs these nutrients from foods.

As far as dumping, everyone is different. Something that is a trigger for one person may not be for you.

How successful you are with either of these surgeries depends solely on you and the effort you put forth. Not to sound cliche, but you can do anything you set your mind to. Just make sure to do your research.

Good luck :)

I think the sleeve is a great way to go. I went for a fill for my band a few months back and my doctor announced "it broke". And that was IT. It was a horrible feeling to be on that table with something completely worthless (by no fault of my own) floating around inside me. I called it my "space junk". Insurance was awesome and within a month I had it removed and converted to a sleeve easy peasy. I feel fantastic and feel very confident about meeting my goals. My BMI sleeve day was 34.4 and is already coming down. So glad!! :) :) :)

50 pounds is a lot of weight to lose...and if you don't get the surgery you may never get it off...don't let anyone talk you out of your decision to get it done...The wight must come off..I suspect if you were able to do it on your own you would have already....make the right choice for you.

50 pounds is a lot of weight to lose...and if you don't get the surgery you may never get it off...don't let anyone talk you out of your decision to get it done...The wight must come off..I suspect if you were able to do it on your own you would have already....make the right choice for you.
It is alot to lose and as I said in later comment - maybe if I did go through with surgery with only 50lbs to lose I wouldn't now be 289lbs. Although at a BMI of 30 or less - I wouldn't go through major life altering surgery unless I had serious comorbities (or had been morbidly obese and lost before and started to gain again). Just my opinion... Thankfully we can still decide what to do with our own bodies.

I think the sleeve is a great way to go. I went for a fill for my band a few months back and my doctor announced "it broke". And that was IT. It was a horrible feeling to be on that table with something completely worthless (by no fault of my own) floating around inside me. I called it my "space junk". Insurance was awesome and within a month I had it removed and converted to a sleeve easy peasy. I feel fantastic and feel very confident about meeting my goals. My BMI sleeve day was 34.4 and is already coming down. So glad!! :) :) :)

I just received approval for my band to sleeve revision. Can you please tell me

how bad the pain was? My dr told me that it will be very sore around the port area and that overall it is a more intense surgery than a straight sleeve. Plus I must keep in the back of my head that if the scar tissue is too bad, he won't sleeve me the same day, so I may wake up unsleeved.

I got my band 11/09. I'm a believer that you get out what you put in. All WLS has its pros and cons. I have Maintained a 85-87lb weightloss with minimal issue.

I have had friends who's have had LB and Lost and regained. Sleeve who have lost and regained and fb who's have lost and regained.

I'm One of few that's has had the band and didn't regain. But one never knows what life has in store for us

But I have given it lost of thought as to what if something happened and I have to have my band removed. I know without a doubt I would do the GB