Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded in Mexico?

If you were banded in Mexico please tell me about your experience. Did everything go as expected? Any surprises? Were you able to find a local doctor in the U.S. to do your fills? Was saving the money worth the trip? I am pre-op and will have to self pay for surgery. I would just like to hear the Pro's and Con's about Mexico. Thanks

Thank you so much for your time in answering all of my questions and more! traveling to and from Mexico would not be easy for me to do. I live in Georgia. I have alot to think about and even more to research. thanks for the Heads up.

I was banded in hospital angeles in Tijuana by Dr. Kuri, It was a wonderful experience, I did have some nausea afterwards, but the nurses were very responsive (although they spoke little english) THe hospital was very clean, I felt very safe in that part of town, and everyone is very nice, I would do it again in a heartbeat, I have lost 110 lbs. follow up here is expensive, the doc I see charges 375 a fill with a free unfill if need in a short period of time. He uses fluroscopy. I think it depends on what part of the country your are in how much trouble you will have finding a doctor. Julie

If you do decide to have surgery in Mexico......please do yourself a favor and locate a fill doctor in your area who will accept Mexico patients - most will not so you need to find someone who does, someone who is likely to be in your area for a long time, someone with experience. Without a good and dependable fill doctor, your band is useless - and your chances of success are not good.

Hi,

I was banded in Mexico just over a year ago by Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey. Overall the experience was very positive, but it was still scary. I was in a country where I didn't speak the language by myself!

On my way there my flight got delayed causing me to miss my next flight, and I had a hard time catching another flight that night (and my pre-op tests were scheduled for 9:00 AM). I finally caught the very last flight standby and arrived in Mexico at around midnight. Unfortunately, I hadn't taken any numbers with me on the plane, and so the car that was supposed to be waiting to pick me up, wasn't (they had obviously waited for the earlier plane). I don't speak any Spanish, and finding the right car service and getting a ride was SO frustrating. I was already nervous, and I was almost in tears in the back of the cab thinking "what am I doing".

Fortunately, that was the only negative part of the experience. The hotel had my room waiting, and the next day an english speaking driver picked me up and took me for my tests. I met some very nice patients who were also staying at the hotel for my doctor and did great.

I do have to second what one or two other posters have said - make SURE you can find a local doctor to fill before you go to Mexico. Check fillcentersUSA as they have locations throughout the US.

Best of luck either way you go!

~Lori

I was banded in Mexico by Dr Jose Rodriguez. I had no problems, would do it again in a heartbeat. All you had to d o was pay for your flight. They took care of everything else for you. Pick up at airport, hotel, there was a great q&a session before hand in the hotel. Trans to and from Mexico and then hotel again and ride to airport. No problems. You need to look up fillcentersusa. They are all over. So far my experience with them has been good.

I had a wonderful experience. I have to admit, being able to speak Spanish a bit really helped. I'm not fluent but knew enough to get around so I didn't have the problems some have. I even came out of the operating room questioning the nurses in Spanish!

I get all of my medical care in Mexico, since being banded. It is faster for me to walk across to Mexico for treatment than to wait in line here in America.

I am going to Mexico next month. I researched it so much and finally realized that it was a good option for me since I am a self pay. I cannot find a single complaint about the Dr I am going to. I will let you know the outcome. Good luck!

I went to Mexico, Dr. Rumbaut.. its was a great experience. I do support the 'find a fill doctor first' route.. Any of the doctor's offices should be able to give you a fill doctor in your area.

Good luck..

I was banded by Dr. Kuri in Tijuana June 2007...great experience! I am self pay from Canada...very long trip to get there but totally worth it and being that Canada's second language is French I didn't know more than a single word and still managed to get through just fine. The hospital was very comfortable and clean, much like a hotel type setting in your room. Dr. Kuri is a very warm and gentle man and made everything feel very calming. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I have a fill nurse that I located about 2 1/2 hours from my home which was a huge concern when I was looking into the surgery but everything has been wonderful! Good luck with any decision that you make...it is very easy to assume that mexico would not be the safest or cleanest place to have this done but my experience was wonderful!