Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon accidentally cutting the liver?

I'm 12 days post. I believe the liver threat is a scare tactic...it absolutely is a possibility but unlikely that surgery would not be performed or the liver would be knicked. That being said the scare worked on me and I stuck to the pre op diet best I could....couple small cheats. I was fine. More importantly I think sticking to the diet will help you post surgery to deal with your new eating habbits..it's very hard for me. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon doesn't even do the pre-op diet because he says studies have not shown that it reduces your liver size enough to make a real difference.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I get to eat 1200 calories/day up until 2 days prior to surgery then two days prior to I go to Clear Liquids.

It is crazy the difference in requirements!!

My pre-op diet is 2 weeks and includes 1 healthy frozen meal a day...But my surgeon will perform the surgery regardless of liver size. He just might not be able to do it laparoscopic-ally if the liver is too large. Obviously would prefer laparoscopic though.

I have a ? What if you're not that big I'm just making the bmi requirement but I have sleep apnea and high bp plus depression so do you still need the two week liquid diet? I've lost pounds since getting approved

Thank you

I have a ? What if you're not that big I'm just making the bmi requirement but I have sleep apnea and high bp plus depression so do you still need the two week liquid diet? I've lost pounds since getting approved

I was going to ask if anyone knew if this pre op diet was a BMI stipulation. My Dr told me pre op diet is not required. It is reccomended so I'm going to do it. But I am also under 40 BMI so idk if that's why he's not as strict?

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

I was going to ask if anyone knew if this pre op diet was a BMI stipulation. My Dr told me pre op diet is not required. It is reccomended so I'm going to do it. But I am also under 40 BMI so idk if that's why he's not as strict?

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

How long are you gonna do it for I was wondering I don't want to be at such a low weight any suggestions? Thank you.

My first-surgeon-consultation weigh-in revealed my BMI as 39. I had 3 qualifying comorbidities, do qualified for VSG surgery.

In the next 2 months I lost 11 pounds.

My surgeon still had me do the liver-shrinking diet for 2 weeks. I lost another 8 pounds.

The first 3 days of the liver-shrinking diet were tough, but thereafter it wasn't really bad at all.

Wow....you all get actual food in your pre-op diet?!?! For 2 weeks prior, my surgeon puts you on Clear liquids with the exception of they want you to drink enough Protein to meet your daily requirements (80-100g for women). He swears that if I can just get through the first four days, those are the worst. LOL

I am

Right there with you only clear liquid for 14 days and I am

Reading people are allow vegetables I wish I could have some I feel awful can't wait for this part to be over with I disagree with what some people say after day 3 you will feel better well I am on day 11 and I feel like crap like my body is shutting down sometime it's crazy how there are so many pre-op diets beat of luck to everyone we can do this

Sent from my iPhone

My bmi was only 35 and now I've lost weight so that's why I was wondering do I need to do the 2 full weeks of liver reduction. I don't want to be too low in weight.

My bmi was only 35 and now I've lost weight so that's why I was wondering do I need to do the 2 full weeks of liver reduction. I don't want to be too low in weight.

Your surgeon decides who needs the preop liver diet. It's not always related to BMI. I have a high BMI and no preop diet. It's not about weight loss - it's to shrink your liver for surgery. You would already be approved by insurance at this point so any loss should not impact approval.

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

Thank you I see the dr on the 21st so I will see what he suggest, I was not so worried about the bmi just the weight issue. But I will see what the dr has to say. My surgery is 7/5 and I'm excited and scared at the same time.