Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long was your hospital stay?

I got sleeved on 4/18, I was released on 4/19. I took 2 1/2 weeks off work. I'm feeling great so far. Listen to your body as far as returning to work. My surgeon suggested 2 weeks off work, (I have a desk job.)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Surgery 4/20 at 1pm (arrived at 8am for nothing). Went home by 6pm. Insurance patient. Pain meds till 4/21, just liquid adult Tylenol from Walgreens. At work now.....

Surgery 4/20 at 1pm (arrived at 8am for nothing). Went home by 6pm. Insurance patient. Pain meds till 4/21, just liquid adult Tylenol from Walgreens. At work now.....

Wow!!! There is no way I could have gone home the same day! I've never heard of same day gastric sleeve surgery. Good for you! Wishing you the very best!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I stayed overnight since i was moving very good on the next day with little help... usually u gotta pass the gas test lol but given that i was burping frecuently, they let me go :) im 5days post op and i feel better moving...moving is key but dont over do it. (Listen to your body)... i plan to go back to work in 4 weeks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I had surgery at 1:30 pm and remember waking up in my room around 6:30pm. I was scheduled to go home the next day. My surgeon and his team came around the next morning, I was feeling good. Shortly after they left the new nurse on staff gave me morphine as a pain reliever through my IV and I quickly went downhill. I was so nauseous, vomiting, and sick and didn't feel better until it wore off later that evening. I almost regretted getting the surgery. To answer your question, I stayed in the hospital two nights. My advice is to stick with what's working. A new nurse came in and switched my pain medication and it completely switched my course and my hospital bill!

I was sleeved on Friday (4/22), out of the hospital on Saturday. I'm planning to go back to work on Thursday and Friday as 1/2 days.

Wow! Thanks everyone for your posts! I spoke to the RN at my surgeon's office last night who finally returned my calls, and she said that as long as I can 1) urinate on my own, 2) get up and walk, and 3) hold fluids down on my own, then I should go home that very same evening. Yikes!! After hearing your experiences, this sort of worries me. I also have a hiatal hernia that will be repaired at the same time. So, I suppose I'll have to just wait and see. I've got just 5 more days!!

Andrea, I am in Texas, with NY insurance, and went home the same day, also with a hernia repair. ...you will be fine. My surgery was around 1pm, and I went home before 6pm. Easy peasy, and I am in my 50s. Just get up and walk as soon as you can.

I had a hiatal hernia repair at the same time as the sleeve. I had a difficult time with pain & nausea and couldn't keep liquids down post op, so I ended up staying 4 days. I really needed that extra time so I didn't mind staying. I'm self-pay also and my 'package' included up to 2 nights. I'm kinda dreading the bill for the extra night. ????

Hey you all! I just wanted to provide an update. So, my surgeon was very behind on surgery day (last Monday) and I didn't have my surgery until after 6pm that evening. I also had a hiatal hernia repaired. Everything went well. I had a lot of nausea, but it was expected. I was up and walking around by 2am to relieve some gas pains and indigestion. I was released from the hospital Tuesday night after I was finally able to keep fluids down. I returned to work today and I'm doing fine without pain meds. I just need to get through this liquid and mush diet! All else was easy-peasy. ;)