Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long was your hospital stay?

My surgery date is next Monday, the 25th and I'm so excited! I have taken 3 days off of work and plan on returning back to work on Thursday. Is this wise?

How long was your hospital stay? and

How long were you out of work before you were able to return?

Any advice you all can offer will be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to get my surgeon's office to return my calls. <_<:mellow:

it's usually an overnight stay in the hospital, sometime two.......and it depends on the work you do as to how quickly you'll feel up to returning.....I work from home and plan on working on the Thursday after my Monday surgery, but I've scheduled the whole week off just in case. People who have jobs other than working at home I've seen on this site anywhere from 2 weeks to a month off work.... I'm sorry your having difficulty getting in touch with your surgeons office because they will be the best ones to advise you.

Wow! Thanks for your response. Sounds like I may need to plan to be off the entire week, just in case. I'm not sure why I was expecting to be released the same day. I suppose because that was the case with my gallbladder removal. I hope to hear back from the surgeon's office ASAP.

I stayed overnight. I had my surgery on a Thursday. So I had about 10 days before I went back to work.

I have heard of folks going home same day but that's not the norm.....They usually keep you over night and the next morning they do a x-ray test to check for leaks before they release you to go home. I think that's the main reason they keep you over night.

oh one more thing I've heard.......it's usually the self-pay patients who go home the same day. That's so the total costs can be held to a minimum..

I was in the hospital for 3 days. I live alone and REALLY appreciated the time in the hospital, the nurses were a huge help. I took 2 weeks off, I thought I'd be good to go after a week and that just wasn't the case. I was in pain and just so exhausted there was no way I could go back so I ended up taking 2

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I go in on Wednesday and will be home that Saturday

~Jenn~

Surgery date 5/18/16

My surgery date is next Monday, the 25th and I'm so excited! I have taken 3 days off of work and plan on returning back to work on Thursday. Is this wise?

How long was your hospital stay? and

How long were you out of work before you were able to return?

Any advice you all can offer will be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to get my surgeon's office to return my calls. <_<:mellow:

I haven't had WLS yet - but I really think that going back to work after 3 days is a bad idea. Your body needs time to heal and although gallbladder surgery is similar in being laproscopic - this is much more involved and usually takes longer to recover from. I felt so much better after my gallbladder surgery than I did before (I had to have it done emergency surgery) - the recovery was nothing. Good luck with your surgery - and recovery!!!

Had my surgery the morning of 4/12/16 and was home by that afternoon. I returned to work 4/18/16. It was just the right amount of time for me. Everyone heals differently.

I had surgery on 3/30 and went home on 3/31 late night they usually don't let you go home until 2 days but I was lucky. I took 9 days off from work and I think that was too soon to return. Your body needs time to heal and adjust. Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am also having surgery on the 25th. I took off the rest of the week, but just found out the doctor wants to see me one week post op, so I'll probably take one more day.

Sent from my LGLS991 using the BariatricPal App

I had my surgery 12/14/16 and stayed 1 night in the hospital. Many of my support group members stayed longer. They did tend to be older, higher BMI and more health issues than me. But one young girl in her twenties had issues with anesthesia, your stay could be more one day. This surgery is not the same as typical outpatient surgery. You will most likely be on a clear liquid diet by Thursday, in other words you will not be consuming enough calories to do physically or mentally demanding job. I was still on narcotics for pain by that time which means I could not drive. You need to plan at least one week. You will also have lifting restrictions for About 4 to 6 weeks. My doctor recommended 2 weeks minimum and I work from home.

Edited by ocgirl15

Hi Andrea. I think you should take Thursday and Friday off that way your body can heal. I did what your trying to do and I was really pushing myself. Please take the week off even thou you will be ok ok