Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair loss I know it's normal but...

I use Sulfate free products like Loreal. Nioxin is another good one. Not only is great for your scalp but it can help with hairloss as well. If your hair is super dry, try doing an oil treatment! Keep your hair trimmed of dead ends too so it minimizes breakage! :)

Any men that respond to this thread please quote this so I can read your response!

Are you taking Biotin? Biotin helps with skin, hair and nails.

I've posted about this before. I'm the one who's not going to lose any hair. Nope, not me. I started taking Biotin, Vitamin e, niacin and folic acid months before my surgery-just to be safe. After surgery I took my Vitamins religously and made sure to get all my daily Protein.

Guess what? My hair is coming out in handfuls. It started almost 3 months to the day after surgery. My PCP suggested Aveda Invati. It's supposed to stop hair thinning. There's a Shampoo, conditioner and "goop" you put on your scalp twice a day. It's supposed to take a few weeks to work. I've been using it for a week and will refrain from judgement. It is ridiculously expensive-over $100.00 for the three products. The reviews I've read aren't promising and I knew this prior to buying the "system". It's also really drying.

It's scary to lose hair. Especially in handfuls. I don't know if the amount I'm losing is 'normal' for those of us who've had WLS. I've thought, more than once, jeez, I wish there was a subforum where we could post pictures of the amount of hair lost while shampooing, brushing, etc. And, also where you could post pictures of how the Hair loss looks. Mine isn't really noticeable at this point but I'm only a little over 5 months post op.

I agree with Moorecat on using sulfate free shampoos. My hair is/was thick, coarse and curly. I touch it as infrequently as possible and use tons of conditioner when detangling. Also, coconut oil-rub a little bit between your palms and smooth it over your hair.

I have been using Nioxin. I have used it before as I have PCOS and am already pretty thin. I also have pretty short hair (on purpose for this reason among others). I have noticed some Hair loss, but not handfuls. I am a little thinner on top than I was before, but not so anyone else probably notices, especially if they've known me for a while. Is it the Nioxin? no idea. Is it just how my body reacts? could be. Is it possible I will still lose handfuls? I hope not, but you never know.

My only advice is embrace it and know that it will come back. In other words, "this too shall pass." I was planning to get a bright pink wig if I lost too much!

pam

I am 7 months out from my surgery and started losing hair at about 4 months out. To date I would say I have lost at least half of my hair. I too have been taking Biotin since before my surgery and have been using special shampoos and conditioners for thinning hair. What I want to know from someone who has lived through this is when does it stop?? Are you losing hair for an entire year? I knew this would happen but they really don't tell you how bad it's going to get or how long it lasts. Any words of wisdom?

I am 3 months post op and losing hair like crazy, too. Taking the Biotin and Vitamins as well. I, too, would like to know when this super- shed is going to let up. I'm close to shaving it all off and buying a wig! At least that would end the perpetual fall! Didn't expect the loss to be so intense. My hair is usual fairly thick.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

This is s crazy amount...post 3 months op!

I can't believe how much hair I am losing...it far exceeds the weight loss for sure...

Some things that have helped me... I drink bamboo tea- it is very high in silica. I also add collagen powder to a bottle of Water every day. The Biotin never helped me. When I started taking the collagen my Hair loss slowed down to about half. The bamboo tea helped with the dryness and brittleness.

I have always gotten in my Protein, Vitamins, fluids and all my labs have been fine.

My hair loss started about five- six months post op. I am now almost two years out and still have hair loss. But with those two things the loss and dryness is much better.

I've posted about this before. I'm the one who's not going to lose any hair. Nope, not me. I started taking Biotin, Vitamin e, niacin and folic acid months before my surgery-just to be safe. After surgery I took my Vitamins religously and made sure to get all my daily Protein.

Guess what? My hair is coming out in handfuls. It started almost 3 months to the day after surgery. My PCP suggested Aveda Invati. It's supposed to stop hair thinning. There's a Shampoo, conditioner and "goop" you put on your scalp twice a day. It's supposed to take a few weeks to work. I've been using it for a week and will refrain from judgement. It is ridiculously expensive-over $100.00 for the three products. The reviews I've read aren't promising and I knew this prior to buying the "system". It's also really drying.

It's scary to lose hair. Especially in handfuls. I don't know if the amount I'm losing is 'normal' for those of us who've had WLS. I've thought, more than once, jeez, I wish there was a subforum where we could post pictures of the amount of hair lost while shampooing, brushing, etc. And, also where you could post pictures of how the Hair loss looks. Mine isn't really noticeable at this point but I'm only a little over 5 months post op.

I agree with Moorecat on using sulfate free shampoos. My hair is/was thick, coarse and curly. I touch it as infrequently as possible and use tons of conditioner when detangling. Also, coconut oil-rub a little bit between your palms and smooth it over your hair.

I started loosing my hair at six months after wls. I was fine with it at first, they warned me it could happen. I took Biotin, I took all my Vitamins. I still lost my hair. For 6 months I lost MY HAIR! For me it went down hill from there. I'm very glad to say it stopped at 12 months. Never had to wear a wig but darn it it was close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I am 8.5 months post op. Starting at around month 3 I started losing my hair. And a lot of it, also by the handfuls. It slowed down around month six. It's now growing back like crazy. I have LOTS of new growth. Be vigilant with your Protein and Vitamins and Biotin. It'll all be ok.