Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheating with post op diet

Did this not upset your stomach?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It just hurt a lot and then it went away after a while

Sent from my LGMS631 using the BariatricPal App

That pain is a signal from your body that it is NOT READY for you to be deviating from your postop instructions.

You wouldn't let one of your kids do something like that - why are you willing to hurt yourself? Over pizza?

There is no pizza in the world good enough to risk your surgical outcome for.

How were you able to eat this at 12 days post op? It took 2 months before I even tried a french fry and all the grease made me nauseous immediately. I can't imagine eating that poorly after just 12 days. If your excuse is that it's hard to resist temptation when you have kids to cook for then maybe don't cook such unhealthy stuff for your kids either. If you feed them french fries and pizza often enough that it tempts you then they are probably going to end up overweight as well. I don't mean to sound harsh but this is your reality now. You have already invested so much into this by having surgery. Don't mess it up by cheating.

I feel like she asked for help and you are all Judging her.

@@Lucilla I fully understand I did the same thing is not something I am proud of but it happened couple of times, which showed me why I needed this surgery even more.

I am also the one cooking in the house I am use to trying everything I make so is a bad habit.

I felt and still feel my mind and body are not intoned with one another, my body yah had surgery but for some reason my mind though it was ok to try to eat things as if it was another day (if that makes sense). And I learned the hard way not to keep doing that.

What I do now Is if I want to try something and I can't seem to stop myself I just chew it for a bit and spit it out, some people may not think that's a great idea but it works for me and helps me get over that want for the food. I also now keep a portion shake with me when I am cooking or around food whenever I wanna eat something I take a sip makes me feel and the need goes away.

This is by far the hardest thing I had to do to get my mind on the same page as my stomach, it is not fully there but I am better then I was 5days out. Now that I am 20days post and moving to soft foods I am hoping it will get better.

All I can say is it happen and you can't go back in time, try your best to not do it again I know is easier said than done believe me I know. But come up with whatever that will help you get throw the next couple of weeks until you fully heal.

And as for the portion shakes I found they were way to thick too, so what I did was put them in a 1 litre Water bottle add about 1/2 cup cold Water and some ice made them a lighter which was easier to drink even though they did take forever to finish it worked for me, I am using pre mixed premier Protein.

Good luck wish you all the best.

I know it can be tempting. I cook everything for my family as well. But I know if I want to succeed I have to stop old habits. It helps that I have a diva sleeve, so I don't dare try many foods. I keep my green tea near me while I cook, so of I am tempting to try a bite I can sip. I sit with my family for a little bit while they eat and I eat my puree, but then excuse myself and do dishes.

If there are foods your going to be tempted by more than others, try finding foods you can make that won't tempt you. You don't have to feed everyone pureed Beans, but it would be better for your long term success to find meals that will fit your new lifestyle.

Also if it helps think of your eating less as a diet, and more as post surgery care.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

one thing that helped me is I am in the habit of cooking a lot on the weekend, and then reheating for weeknight meals. It might cut down on tempting bits for you to do it this way. And cook them things that you don't really like - it will be easier.

If the Protein shakes seem too thick to you, add milk to thin it out. you'll get extra Protein that way, even if it takes you a little longer to finish.

and in the worst case, if you feel the need to cheat please do so with something like cottage cheese or some other pureed protein source that is less likely to do you any harm.

I'm not going to scold you, but you have to think of this as a lifestyle. This isn't a diet, this is a way of life.

When you are further out, there are going to be times you have a more indulgent meal, dining out or at a party. Normal sized people do this same thing, but they let it be a one time thing, and they go back to eating normally instead of starting a binge.

You have to change your attitude about food, that is easier said than done, but the first step is not thinking about this as a diet but a way of life.

Listen

most of us if not ALL have the same temptations while cooking good food for our families but we have to resist it for our safety!

I dont want to scare you but my own cousin had the surgery and did what you did only 6 days after surgery, she ended up at the ER for leaking then to a septic shock and died later on that day ...

:,(

So please be careful, you don't want your kids to live without a mom, IT IS THAT SERIOUS.

Edited by mia150

Listen

most of us if not ALL have the same temptations while cooking good food for our families but we have to resist it for our safety!

I dont want to scare you but my own cosine had the surgery and did what you did only 6 days after surgery, she ended up at the ER for leaking then to a septic shock and died later on that day ...

:,(

So please be careful, you don't want your kids to live without a mom, IT IS THAT SERIOUS.

Well thanks I will not try any more tempting foods

"Cheating" post-op is not like "cheating" on a diet. There are serious health implications from progressing through the food stages too quickly. Your stomach has been BRUTALIZED. 80% was literally just cut off days ago. There is swelling, there is nerve damage, there is trauma. All of that needs to heal and in order to do so properly, your new stomach needs to be babied. You wouldn't go out and try to run a couple of days after a knee or hip replacement. You wouldn't try to drink whiskey a few days after a liver transplant. Your new stomach is exactly like that. Giving it more than it can possibly handle jeopardizes your healing and your life.

Thanks but as you know its a very hard battle for those of us that have to cook for the little ones at home.

I cooked for three people immediately post op. I am the one who ate so much I became morbidly obese. I am the one who made the choice to have surgery to correct my obesity and to save my own life. I am the one who chose to follow my surgeon's plan to the letter both pre and post op until I was cleared to eat what I wanted.

Was it hard? Yup. Did it suck at times? Yup. Did I do it anyways? YUP.

I agree with what everyone else said about the danger to your stomach by eating those things, but having said that I don't have to cook for others and have said several times that would be difficult. And I very much understand the temptation / addiction to food - you are certainly not alone with this.

Now, let's see if we can come up with some strategies to help you get through it. Maybe you can have your meal or even your shake BEFORE you start cooking and then you will be full while you are cooking and won't want their food because you are so full? Or maybe have your meal ready so you can sit and eat with them and eat your meal. Look, this is a tough road. The head hunger is what got most (if not all) of us to the point we needed surgery. The first few weeks are tough.... but I promise they get easier. You just have to come up with some strategies to get through the first few weeks until it becomes more of a habit.

Good luck! You came this far, you can totally go all the way!

@@Lucilla - lets see...

you don't like the shakes.

Doctor suggested Isopure...and YOU have chose to not get them, but you chose to eat the other stuff? This is YOUR life. If you are not going to follow the doctors suggestions then why in the heck would you listen to people on a website?

I cooked for others in my house and didn't eat it.

The excuse of having small children doesn't work with me either because then we should include the "fur babies" too and I wasn't eating "Blue Wilderness" or Beggin' Strips.

You are struggling, I get it, been there....done that. Got the Sleeve to prove it.

YOU have to take responsibility for your choices - no one forced you to eat the food.

YOU

CAN

DO

THIS

Jane

Look, bottom line is this:

You're going to have to learn to delay gratification if you want to be successful with this. If you can't do it with sheer will power, then seek therapy, support groups, read books...whatever you have to do.

I'm certainly not going to pat you on the head and validate your behavior. I made my choice, and I chose to follow my plan and not do anything to jeopardize my health and happiness. I'm no better than you are, and my struggle I'm sure is similar to yours, otherwise we both wouldn't have had the surgery.

Now do whatever you need to do to make the choice to be successful and healthy . You're worth it.