Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After how long can you eat normal

Definitely.

Can't think of anything that I can't eat now. Or that I don't eat.

The deal is that I just don't eat very much of "everything." :)

It depends. Some people find that food they liked and ate without trouble preop aren't tolerated as well postop. And some find that foods that appealed to them preop don't appeal to them postop. As an example, I was a big coffee (decaf) drinker preop. I haven't had a cup of coffee i over five weeks and I haven't wanted one yet.

Based on what I've seen posted here, you really can't predict preop how things will be postop.

Edited by 2goldengirl

I am almost at one year post op. There is nothing I can't eat. It is so nice to feel normal. I don't have the cravings I used to. I usually choose healthy foods and I am very happy to eat them and to eat small portions. I don't feel deprived anymore like I did on "diets".

Absolutely. You have to watch your portions but i am 7 months out and eat literally anything I want.

Nothing much I can't have if I so choose now at 6 months.

If I were to lose my desire to lose weight.....I could entertain virtually any menu item from any restaurant.....however the quantities involved would be on a very limited scale. For instance....I probably couldn't finish a BicMac or such sandwich....no more than a slice or two of pizza......etc. My restriction would kick in and stop me from doing large quantities.

I have no desire or any cravings to do such damage, though.

I really just have the "want to" for the stuff I now really enjoy: fish, chicken, steak, pork, eggs and some greens & salads. After being away from sugary mess for a while I no longer give any interest to their direction. There was a time when Snickers bars held high sway over me. Now, I could walk past a sea of them and not have a desire to eat one.

It is nice to only eat what is needed to sustain and fuel my body. It is super nice to not think more of food than what I should. It's something your body needs......but shouldn't be something that your mind craves.

I'm so damn grateful for my sleeve.

Nothing much I can't have if I so choose now at 6 months.

If I were to lose my desire to lose weight.....I could entertain virtually any menu item from any restaurant.....however the quantities involved would be on a very limited scale. For instance....I probably couldn't finish a BicMac or such sandwich....no more than a slice or two of pizza......etc. My restriction would kick in and stop me from doing large quantities.

I have no desire or any cravings to do such damage, though.

I really just have the "want to" for the stuff I now really enjoy: fish, chicken, steak, pork, eggs and some greens & salads. After being away from sugary mess for a while I no longer give any interest to their direction. There was a time when Snickers bars held high sway over me. Now, I could walk past a sea of them and not have a desire to eat one.

It is nice to only eat what is needed to sustain and fuel my body. It is super nice to not think more of food than what I should. It's something your body needs......but shouldn't be something that your mind craves.

I'm so damn grateful for my sleeve.

I was just talking to my mom about this. I actually enjoy food more now. Before food was about quantity. Now it's about quality

CutieK don't feel bad. I was right were you are. It will get better. Remember for years we have been able to consume anything without restrictions but once someone puts restrictions on us. We want to kick the doors open and be normal. This is a process and it doesn't happen overnight. Just know to take it one second of the day and trust me I'm 5 weeks in and I'm feeling a little normal. I can eat more things and even started eating more veggie burger and fine them very good. Learn the new you and embrace who you are. A new you ????

After a sleeve are we ever going to be able to eat normal food, in small portions BUT all kinds of food is it possible??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

These responses give me some hope too, lol. I have a friend in Texas whom I met in Mexico getting banded 10 years ago. She had the revision to sleeve and loves it. She says that bread is really hard for her to eat, which is just like a band. She says the bread swells up and it is too uncomfortable to eat. I have been really asking her a lot of questions since my husband is getting sleeved on May 2 and hopefully I will follow if I am approved. Initially she had lost a lot of weight post sleeve but regained 40 pounds because of the sweet tea she loves so much. She says she just can't give it up. :(

Ah, the sweet tea addicts.

I think those people are insane.

I know several people who've regained ALL their lost weight after WLS thanks to their sweet tea addictions.

How can you not give up sweet tea to get rid of obesity?!

I swear -- some people really fucking deserve to be fat.

I am only 6 weeks post-op and I am basically eating normal food, in the sense that I don't think there is much I can eat that will cause a big problem, so long as I watch portion sizes.

However, given that I am less than 4 months into a big push to lose weight and get healthy, I am still emphasizing protein-containing foods, healthy fats, fruits and veggies. Carbs are taken in moderation and then only those with lots of Fiber. When I eat meats - they are mainly chicken, turkey or fish, and I take care to chew the heck out of them.

Ah, the sweet tea addicts.

I think those people are insane.

I know several people who've regained ALL their lost weight after WLS thanks to their sweet tea addictions.

How can you not give up sweet tea to get rid of obesity?!

I swear -- some people really f**king deserve to be fat.

Totally disagree my mom had gastric bypass and craves sweet tea because her body craves sugar . And she's lost 120 pounds and only gained 5-10 pounds in the last 10 years and still continues to drink sweet tea . "Some people deserve to be fat" hmm I wonder how much you used to weight . Just like there are skinny people that enjoy food and crave certain things but no one says anything to them about how they eat and what they like . Your line was totally uncalled for . I'm pretty sure you probably were obese and I don't think you would like it if someone sat there and said damn they deserve to be fat. Your definitely one of those people on here that should be flagged for the comment you made .