Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Interesting article on Yahoo about Weight Loss surgery

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/happened-woman-lost-537-pounds-143626909.html

I found the topic of the mental issue post surgery to be far more interesting in this article. I can attest from my own journey through this process that I have been suffering from bouts of depression, post-surgery. Its been new and extremely uncomfortable territory that I have had to travel down so far, but it is good to see article like this that do try highlight the possibility of these things happening. This is one issue I felt that my surgeon totally dropped the ball on. He covered the physical risks of the surgery such as ulcers, hernias, possible death, weight regain, but he failed to mention anything about the mental risks of having this surgery. I can say that in the last 16 months I have been battling depression or "depression like states" at least 8 out of those 16 months and I have thought about suicide at least twice during that time frame.

I have been seeing a therapist throughout my entire process and getting the necessary mental help to deal with these issues at hand (Not all of my issues were diet/food related). And I have been taking things literally one day at a time. Some days are way better than other days, but I haven't found myself so deep into my depression that the though of actually taking my life seems appealing. So with that said, I know I am not the only one here that has probably gone through this during the life altering changes that bariatric surgery provides.

What have you done to help deal with your depression after having the surgery? Does anyone here suffer from body dysmorphia post surgery? I can honestly say that I don't have that issues. I am amazed at how my body is changing honestly, its one of the few positives I have out of this process that I can constantly turn back to, that helps uplift my mood when I do find myself down.

I think it is common for individuals that undergo weight loss surgery to not be able to see the weight that they have lost. Before surgery, I never really, really looked at myself. I was never in photographs because I was the photographer of the family. When I looked in the mirror, it was always a straight shot, which minimizes a visual of my obesity. I think it is very important for someone who is about to undergo surgery to take a self portrait prior to surgery and then once the weight comes off. A side-by-side comparison photo is the best way to appreciate the weight loss. I took one before and one at 6 months. It was a brutally honest photograph and I tried to strike the same pose before and after. Here is a link. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Operation.jpg

Tink, I haven't been depressed since being sleeved nearly 20 months ago. That's not to say that "depressing" things haven't happened to hubby and me during that time. But depression isn't one of the cards I drew in this life, I guess (knock on wood).

I'm alert though, because this happens to some patients, to watch if depression symptoms could be sliding in. There's so much happening in later life that certainly could trigger depression. I appreciate your sharing here your experiences.

Personally, I don't think weight loss surgery causes depression. Instead, I think patients already suffered from depression and after surgery have had the way they cope with it (food) removed as a comfort source. Just my opinion though.

Also, it's very common for people who have lost a great deal of weight to not be able to accurately perceive their new body. Part of it may be due to excess skin but a lot is the mental image we hold of ourselves in our head. I don't know if I would diagnose it as "body dysmorphia" because it usually is temporary and doesn't really lead to self harm.

I can see both in myself. Some days I look in the mirror and am "wowed" by my success. Other times I look in the mirror and am disgusted by how much I have left to lose.

Edited by Proud2BMe

Interesting, but not surprising. When you get that big, if you didn't have issues, you will certainly develop them. I hope she finds the point of balance in her life.

I am seeing a psychiatrist post surgery because I felt that was the best for me, rather than group therapy. That said, she told me exactly what Proud2BeMe said earlier; much of the depression comes from the fact that you can no longer use food as a comfort to placate your feelings. It drives a person who relies on that into an uncomfortable place and they suddenly feel as if they are drowning in emotion because that crutch is no longer there. As an emotional eater, I can definitely see that and did feel some of those feelings post surgery. But for me, they've mostly gone away. That's not to say I haven't reached for a bag of chips when the going gets tough, but those moments are fewer and farther between.

I've tried to read more, exercise more... those two things have really helped, more than I have ever thought possible. But it is compounded by those extremely happy moments of seeing a new second digit on the scale, fitting into a new size, fitting comfortably into a movie theater or stadium seat, smiling more. It really is about those little moments, the small victories, that mean so much.