Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I have scheduled a gastric sleeve surgery for June 27 through Bariatric Pal Mexico. I have had terrible problems with acid reflux, and currently take double dosages of pantoprazole which works most of the time. After reading on here about reflux just curious if a sleeve helps it or does RNY help better? I'm 5'9 and 245 pds

Thanks in advance!

Tom

I think the cause of your reflux might factor in to the decision as well. I have GERD as well, but after my surgeon reviewed the results of my EGD, he was conformable with still doing the sleeve surgery. That said, RNY typically resolves GERD, whereas the Sleeve increases the risk of GERD.

RNY. I never had reflux prior to my sleeve, but I have it now. I'm on Protonix in the Morning, Dexilant at night and Zantac before bed. Knowing what I know now, if I had reflux/GERD before surgery I never would have been sleeved. I would have gone with RNY without question.

I'm so conflicted about this. Sleeve or Bypass. I'm so glad Dr. Illan from Bariatric Team Mexico is calling me when I get home from visiting family back home. I was certain about the sleeve but also have had Gerd for years. I also have Barrett's esophagus from reflux I've had for years. I've been wondering what to do. If I can get the reflux finally solved. Have been on Prevacid and Pantoprazole for 30 years. I'm scared of the bypass because of side effects? Is it always hard to drink or eat from the bypass? I'm so grateful for this forum.

Honestly if you have Barrett's esophagus I wouldn't touch the sleeve with a 10 foot pole. I had an endoscopy earlier this week and if the biopsy shows any signs of Barrett's there is no question I'm converting to bypass. Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks Stacy that's what I needed to hear. I'm leaning that way as well. Now I have a endoscopy every three years and a colonoscopy as well. What happens to that after surgery? I'm also wondering if I will lose my current doctors?

I can't speak to those questions. I would suggest talking to your current doctors. From what I know the surgery should not impact any of your other care

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks Stacy! Guess I just have to bite the bullet and tell my medical team here and see what their reaction is. Don't know why I'm afraid they will be upset with me but if they are so be it. I am breaking one huge rule that has been implanted in my head all my life...that I do not deserve a life that I want, a thin confident healthy assertive man who doesn't just let everyone walk over him, says No, and puts himself first. That's why I overeat and stuff myself. That's what has to change . So I'm afraid of people being mad at me, especially my doctors, isn't that pathetic to be that co dependent? I should feel the exact opposite shouldn't I?

I had severe acid reflux prior to my sleeve.. had the endoscopy prior... doc gave me the ins and outs and I still chose to do it. Once my hernia was repaired. I think that solved my problem a lot. I still take Nexum and Zantac daily... and I don't mind. I am 4 weeks post op w/ no complications or problems. No regrets. I'm tolerating solids and liquids just fine. It is a personal decision, you and your doctor will need to discuss. Re-routing of my intestines and the possibility of mal nutrition and less absorption of my daily pills and Vitamins were my top reasons for not doing gastric bypass vs dealing with acid reflux/GERD. To each their own.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Thank youAJK that means a lot. I am skeptical of the reroute also and would rather stick to the sleeve. My doctor is going to consult with me about it. I don't have a hernia so that will figure in as well. Really appreciate you taking the time to respond!

I had severe acid reflux prior to my sleeve.. had the endoscopy prior... doc gave me the ins and outs and I still chose to do it. Once my hernia was repaired. I think that solved my problem a lot. I still take Nexum and Zantac daily... and I don't mind. I am 4 weeks post op w/ no complications or problems. No regrets. I'm tolerating solids and liquids just fine. It is a personal decision, you and your doctor will need to discuss. Re-routing of my intestines and the possibility of mal nutrition and less absorption of my daily pills and Vitamins were my top reasons for not doing gastric bypass vs dealing with acid reflux/GERD. To each their own.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Hi I am wondering- how you are doing now? I had the same rational as you, but now I am thinking I made a HUGE mistake. I have constant burning in my esophagus that will not go away. I'm scared to death at this point. Nothing is working, and it seems like pills are stuck in my throat and chest.

When he asked me why I was fearful of roux en y, I told him, malasorbtion, and he said it was a valid point. Now I am thinking that maybe malasorbtion is better than esophageal carcinoma or horrific side effects from the PPIs :(

I just made the wrong call