Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here! Just starting the process and scared as hell (but excited too)

Hello WLS family!

I am in the beginning stages of the pre-op process. I just had my initial consult with my surgeon on 4/9 and I have my first appointment with the nutritionist this afternoon.

My insurance only requires 3 months of supervision by a nutritionist prior to surgery, so I will be looking at an operation sometime in July or August.

I came here so that I can surround myself with people who have been where I am, or still are. I have received mixed reactions from my friends and family about my decision to do WLS, ranging from full support, to something close to anger or embarrassment.

I have been reading through the posts here and I can see that this is certainly an exceptional group of people. I have already learned so much.

I would really love to hear all of your individual stories. What made you decide that the Sleeve was for you? What were your fears and struggles, and how did you overcome them? What are you still struggling with? What was your journey to surgery like? The first few days post-op? How much weight have you lost? What are your favorite post-op foods and exercises? How did your families react to your decision?

I would really love to see your responses if you have a moment. I sincerely look forward to getting to know all of you.

Also, I am located up in Nor Cal near Roseville if any of you want to get together for a walk or something :)

Hi! I am in the beginning stages of this process as well - but I have to do the 6 months of monitored weight loss so I will be having surgery in the fall. For years I was adamant that I would never have WLS, but multiple failures at dieting and the wear and tear on my 50ish year old body is becoming too much to ignore. If I don't lose this weight, I am looking at two knee replacements and probably a hip replacement down the road. I decided that WLS was a better choice with the hope that I can avoid having replacement surgery altogether.

Robin

Hi There.

I'm just a step behind you. I went to the orientation and have my first appointment with surgeon on April 19th. I'm nervous because I've always been able to do this on my own (I think like many of us I've lost the same 100 lbs 3 TIMES!) But I'm older now, tired and just know I can't do it alone anymore. Following the diet has been challenging...really, no diet coke? But we can do this right? BTW - I'm in NorCal too! Closer to the bay though. Good luck!

I'm on the same timeline as you also! I had my initial consult on 3/25. My insurance requires nutrition classes & Med supervised weight loss for 90 days, which I started on 4/5. I hope to be approved in early July.

An aunt of mine had gastric bypass & I was amazed by her transformation. She has been very open about her process but I'm really shy to tell anyone about this. I'm in my early 30s and worry that people will think I'm being lazy or taking the easy way out because I'm so young. That being said, I'm determined to do this and feel a lot of hope about the future.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Welcome! You are definitely in for an exciting time of change in your life! I don't think you will regret it! I decided to have the sleeve surgery because I wanted to be able to do more things with my children, actually LIVE my life instead of watching from the sidelines, and improve my chances of living a very long life. I had surgery about 2.5 years ago and have lost over 130 pounds. It has been absolutely life-changing. I've done things I never in a million years would have thought I would be able to do like run a 1/2 marathon, I adore taking different exercise classes like barre, etc, I am very active with my kids all year long, I am able to walk into any store and pull something off the rack and buy it without thinking twice about it fitting, I've worn bikinis for the first time in my entire life, and I have worked hard to be kind to myself. It's not just magic though. It takes A LOT of work. Not just with being careful to stick with the eating plan, but also I had to do a lot of work on myself to get at the root of my over-eating and self-sabotaging patterns that I had for years with food. It's been a lot of hard work, but so worth it. Good luck on your journey!

Hey I am almost on my 4th out of 6th appointment with my doctor and we should probably have the sleeve around the same time as my last appointment is the end of June. I would love to have a person to discuss my worries and excitement with :)

I'm on the same timeline as you also! I had my initial consult on 3/25. My insurance requires nutrition classes & Med supervised weight loss for 90 days, which I started on 4/5. I hope to be approved in early July.

An aunt of mine had gastric bypass & I was amazed by her transformation. She has been very open about her process but I'm really shy to tell anyone about this. I'm in my early 30s and worry that people will think I'm being lazy or taking the easy way out because I'm so young. That being said, I'm determined to do this and feel a lot of hope about the future.

I know how you feel, I'm only 21 and when people find out I'm getting the surgery they're like your so young you can do it by yourself. Little do they know I've been overweight my whole life and it's just getting worse.

Hi! I'm just starting out too :) I have all the intake forms here and have my first informational seminar at the beginning of May. No waiting period set by my insurance, but the surgeon appears to require an 8% weight loss (around 20lbs for me, eek), 6 weekly meetings, and the normal pre-op labs/tests. So it looks like I could possibly lineup for August as well but with my 2 kids (ages 8,10) home all Summer I'm thinking it might be better to wait until school starts so I have more available down time at home. Haven't decided how to handle it if they offer me an earlier date!

I'm nervous, too - but so ready. I'm 36 and have been overweight since I was 6. It's beyond obvious that I can't do this alone. Here's to a bright new (much healthier) future!! :)

Edited by SarahSleeve

Hi! I am in the beginning stages of this process as well - but I have to do the 6 months of monitored weight loss so I will be having surgery in the fall. For years I was adamant that I would never have WLS, but multiple failures at dieting and the wear and tear on my 50ish year old body is becoming too much to ignore. If I don't lose this weight, I am looking at two knee replacements and probably a hip replacement down the road. I decided that WLS was a better choice with the hope that I can avoid having replacement surgery altogether.

Robin

Hi Robin!

I completely feel the struggle. Constant dieting for years and years really takes it's toll. Hopefully you will be able to avoid all those replacements! What a wonderful reward!

Hi There.

I'm just a step behind you. I went to the orientation and have my first appointment with surgeon on April 19th. I'm nervous because I've always been able to do this on my own (I think like many of us I've lost the same 100 lbs 3 TIMES!) But I'm older now, tired and just know I can't do it alone anymore. Following the diet has been challenging...really, no diet coke? But we can do this right? BTW - I'm in NorCal too! Closer to the bay though. Good luck!

Hi Mom2!

I, like you, CANNOT WAIT to end the constant yoyo cycle! I haven't been told the specifics of the diet yet (didn't go to an orientation, just jumped in feet first lol) so I am not yet familiar with all the restrictions that are to come yet. But no diet coke would be a bummer for sure haha. BUT, totally worth it if it means that I can be 100lbs lighter or more this time next year. And it's always nice to see another cali dweller! We should hold a big meet-up or something. :)

I totally get that! I have been rather shy and embarrassed about this as well. Most of my friends and family have been pretty supportive, but others have seemed almost disgusted. My father being one of them :( I have an immense amount of respect for him and don't want to disappoint him, but he is one of those people that has just never struggled with weight. He firmly believes that if I just tried a little harder the weight would just come off. He doesn't understand that for me it just is not that simple. It is a little discouraging to be honest, but I still believe I am making the right choice.

I understand about the age thing too. I am only 25, so people generally seem to hold the opinion that I am lazy and am using surgery to "take the easy way out". *snort* AS IF this is easy in any way lol

Welcome! You are definitely in for an exciting time of change in your life! I don't think you will regret it! I decided to have the sleeve surgery because I wanted to be able to do more things with my children, actually LIVE my life instead of watching from the sidelines, and improve my chances of living a very long life. I had surgery about 2.5 years ago and have lost over 130 pounds. It has been absolutely life-changing. I've done things I never in a million years would have thought I would be able to do like run a 1/2 marathon, I adore taking different exercise classes like barre, etc, I am very active with my kids all year long, I am able to walk into any store and pull something off the rack and buy it without thinking twice about it fitting, I've worn bikinis for the first time in my entire life, and I have worked hard to be kind to myself. It's not just magic though. It takes A LOT of work. Not just with being careful to stick with the eating plan, but also I had to do a lot of work on myself to get at the root of my over-eating and self-sabotaging patterns that I had for years with food. It's been a lot of hard work, but so worth it. Good luck on your journey!

Wow! That is so inspiring! I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few questions?

How did you overcome the psychological aspect of not being able eat/chew for those first few months? And what about afterwards?

After the first year or so, did you ever get back to a relatively "normal" diet? Obviously I don't mean back to the same eating patterns, but for example if you wanted to eat a slice of pizza at a birthday party would you be able to?

What was the recovery from the surgery like? Was there a lot of pain?

Sorry for all the questions! I have more but I'll hold them back in reserve haha

Hey I am almost on my 4th out of 6th appointment with my doctor and we should probably have the sleeve around the same time as my last appointment is the end of June. I would love to have a person to discuss my worries and excitement with :)

I am here for you! It looks like you will be having your surgery about a month ahead of me. How has the process been for you so far?

Hi! I'm just starting out too :) I have all the intake forms here and have my first informational seminar at the beginning of May. No waiting period set by my insurance, but the surgeon appears to require an 8% weight loss (around 20lbs for me, eek), 6 weekly meetings, and the normal pre-op labs/tests. So it looks like I could possibly lineup for August as well but with my 2 kids (ages 8,10) home all Summer I'm thinking it might be better to wait until school starts so I have more available down time at home. Haven't decided how to handle it if they offer me an earlier date!

I'm nervous, too - but so ready. I'm 36 and have been overweight since I was 6. It's beyond obvious that I can't do this alone. Here's to a bright new (much healthier) future!! :)

Hi Sarah!

Looks like we will be having our procedures at about the same time! The 20 pound weight loss requirement may seem daunting, but I am sure you can do it! From what I understand, we have to go on an all liquids diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery anyway, and if what I have read is correct, most people lose at least 20 pounds during those 2 weeks anyways. So that might make it easier for you lol.

Alright! I am just going to use this thread as a progress blog, because why not.

The ball is officially rolling. I have Appointment 0 scheduled for 4/20 (apparently my appointment on 4/12 wasn't one of the required NUT appointments, grr).

So, with appointment number 0 in April...

Appt #1 May

Appt #2 June

Appt #3 July

Surgery! August

This is exciting. Scary, but so exciting.

I have been working for the last few days to get the multitude of various texts and exams scheduled. Which has thus far proven pretty difficult. I seem to be leaving voicemails all over the place that just disappear into black holes lol.

My list of needed exams thus far are...

Chest X-Ray

Upper GI (if anyone can give me some insight as to how long this exam lasts that would be awesome)

PAP Smear

Psych Eval

Stool Sample (um eww and don't wanna)

Blood tests: complete metabolic panel, lipid panel, CBC w/ differential, Ferritin, Hemoglobin A1c, insulin, Iron, magnesium, prolactin (because apparently the fact that I only stopped breastfeeding a year ago is not a good enough reason for me to still be lactating :rolleyes: ), TSH, uric acid, vit B12, vit D, RBC folate, vit B1 whole blood, zinc, intact PTH, chloride, Protein total, sodium, and HDL cholesterol.

Holy hell. I feel like they are going to have to take a freaking gallon to do all those tests! Did anyone else have to do such extensive blood work?

So far I really like the team of people I am working with. Both the surgeon and the MD seem knowledgeable and supportive. Can't wait to meet my NUT on 4/20!

Sadly, even though he is about 95% of the reason I am doing this, my husband has been far less supportive than I was hoping for. So in addition to the normal stresses of preparing for this procedure, I am also dealing with the emotional fallout of wondering if my marriage is going to survive this incredibly rocky period. One thing I know for certain, is that I need to rely on myself right now. I can't count on him being there for me with this. <_<

On the other hand, I am so happy I found this community! You are pretty much the only support system I have in place and I am so grateful to have you all in my life now.

Hello,

I am in the beginning stages as well. I have my orientation first thing in the morning. I scheduled the orientation 2 weeks ago and I have been working on eating healthier and getting in more activity. Now that I have the orientation tomorrow excitement and anxiety is starting to set in. This is a big step but I am committed to getting healthy and seeing this through. I am also in Cali..in the Bay Area :)

Hi! Nice to meet you!

Looks like we will be going through this together! Do you know what your insurance requirements are?

I totally get the nervous and excited bit. I fluctuate between totally giddy and completely terrified. I still can barely believe that this is real and I'm actually going through with it

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

I have Kaiser and I meet all the requirements. What happens after orientation is a little confusing as I have heard different stories for Kaiser members. I go from giddy to feeling like I am going to puke, lol. I have never had any type of surgery and that part is wigging me out.

It's different for everyone, but my experience with surgery (c-section) was that the first day or so was pretty rough, but after that things improved pretty quickly.

From what I've read, most people say that c-section is much worse than getting a sleeve, so if that truly is the case then it shouldn't be too bad.

No idea if that helps or not haha. Even knowing that, going under is still always a little scary.

Oh, and I meant requirements like, do you have to see a nutritionist for a certain period of time? I have to be supervised for 3 months