Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vaporizing Marijuana

I'm one week away from converting from band to sleeve. Is it ok to smoke a little bit of weed using a vaporizer 5 days before? Based on the other threads I've read I must state the following:

*Do not judge.

*I don't get the munchies.

*If you've never smoked weed, please don't comment.

Honestly, this is a question for your surgeon, if your concern is about possible effects on either your preop diet (if you've been given one) , or your surgery. The rest of us would only be guessing.

I doubt they test for weed. They do for nicotine.

my friend just had her band removed and she smokes weed everyday. when her dr. asked if she did any narcs... she told him about the weed. He told her to not smoke for a few days

but tell your dr. it's for your own safety.

When you ask your surgeon and he/she advices you "not to", "will you" anyway?

There's your answer, friend. :)

I did tell him that I do. And I use a vaporizer only when I smoke now for the last year. I smoke a few times a week to calm my nerves. I stopped two weeks ago in preparation for my surgery. When I had my lapband (twice) I smoked up until the day before. That was years ago though and I wasn't using a vaporizer.

I am not sure if you are looking for vindication or medical advice. There would be very few people here with a strong clinical background in medicine, with a specialty in WLS (or surgery in general) to offer you that advice.

Good luck.

I would not expect that it would help with the healing process after surgery. you are going to be putting your body through an awful lot of stress.

I was hoping that people who had smoked would chime in and share their experience. Thanks to those of you who have responded.

Edited by pinklantern

I thought the post located directly before your right now had a complementary title (it's unrelated, but the sequence of these two post's titles are funny). :)

post-251715-0-05661700-1460154022_thumb.png

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

I was hoping that people who had smoked would chime in and share their experience. Thanks to those have you who have responded.

I did, my friend. ")

Use of inhaled substances (be it nicotine, marijuana, etc) can affect oxygenation. And while it's technically a hallucinogenic drug, its effects are mainly depressant. These two factors are why it's not advised to do so before surgery, because both can have an effect on anesthesia. If you smoke, let your surgeon or anesthesiologist know, even though it may not seem like a big deal. Complications are rare, but when they do arise during surgery, an issue with how anesthesia interacts with the body is very often the culprit.

If anxiety is your reason for smoking before surgery, a doctor can prescribe anti-anxiety medication for you. Not because it is superior to weed, but because they know the exact amount/consistency you're getting with a clear understanding of risks/etc, and have long-studied ways of ensuring the medications you receive during and after surgery won't react badly to it.

Lastly, I'm just a nurse, so I can't tell you what to do. But I can tell you that your doctor will have a MUCH better understanding of your specific risks and options than us strangers on the internet. Work with them. Be your own advocate and don't be afraid to be brutally honest with the medical team. They are there to help you!

Edited by BarrySue

I smoked up to like 3 days before surgery and smoked again about 7days post op. I use a vaporizer. All is good with me. But your best bet is to be open with your doctor. I was. I'm sure it's nothing he hasn't heard before.

I'm 4mnths out and down 60lbs. 40lbs to goal!!! I must tell you though that I got the munchies like the 2nd time I smoked post op and it scared me so I haven't smoked since then. I didn't used to get the munchies before but something changed after surgery. I don't want to risk being fat again so ... I stopped. Just know your limits and pay attention to your body.

Hope that helped.

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

I'm of the school of thought that 420 is medicine, that it is not harmful, and that it can only help. As long as they don't test you for it as a condition for performing the surgery, I can't imagine how it could possibly cause you any problems.

in order for any medication/herb/supplement to be effective then by definition it can be harmful when taken either at the wrong time, wrong amount or wrong way.

if it is ineffective to hurt you then probably it is ineffective to help you.

one example. I take cinnamon daily - it helps with blood sugar and to prevent metabolic syndrome. it is anti-inflammatory and helps with pain. it really works! but that means my doctor needs to know I am on it - especially when I used to take diabetes medications. It also can be a blood thinner. it is completely natural! people eat cinnamon every day! but I needed to stop it before surgery and until I was given the go ahead to resume. it is very important to tell your team everything. your life could depend on it.

Edited by Christinamo7