Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved on 3/25/16. I was told that I would have to remember to eat. Not the case at all. I feel hungry all the time? I can't but much down but was not expecting the hunger part. Is it just me?

I see my dr next week to speak to him about it. But was wondering if anyone else has this issue?

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

I am 7 weeks post op and I have been hungry for seven weeks! Seriously! It is difficult to deal with too. I am having to pratice some major restraint and not eat any more than my 4 oz. I think most of my hunger is acid related even though I am on a PPI. Are you taking anything for acid reflux? This could be your problem. I would talk to your surgeon.

@@hifigli,

Hi,

Yes, I was and I do get hungry also.

Seems to be at 2 hours intervals, for me.

Was hungry during liquid stage, was hungry during purees, now soft foods ..... hungry also

If I don't have my allowed snack, or go longer than 3 hours, I have real hunger pangs.

Mainly later on in the afternoon.

I have read on this board that it could be due to our stomach acid still being active without having the "old" food.

Also, I have read here that it goes away when we get to the regular, allowed food and portions.

My dietician advised me to increase my Proteins and also to take a small Protein drink at night, if I can't fall asleep till late.

I have been doing this for the past 2 days, and it seems to help.

Have you asked your dietician about it?

@@dd817

I was diagnosed with hypoglycaemia years ago (low blood sugar level), this was making me hungry if I had more carbs than Proteins, and didn't have Snacks between meals.

I also have thyroid disease, however I am assured by members here that they still keep losing weight despite this.

I wonder if you have this as well .....

I too thought I wouldn't feel so hungry, the real hunger (not the head/emotional hunger)

I am now in my 5th week post op

Revised on 3/1/2016. Still on soft foods, but I feel less hungry as I get closer to regular consistency foods and do seem to do better with increased Protein.

I was wondering if it is only revisers who feel hungry like this?

@@animallover1247

I too ended up with acid reflux, I am on PPI also.

Used to take it in the mornings, switched to taking it at night, as 2-3 weeks ago I woke up choking and coughing up yellow acid ..... horrible!

I also elevated my pillow.

Alas, it does not (PPI) help with my hunger pangs ...... annoying .....

i am six weeks out and before i was allowed real food i definitely had hunger!! i was told that if your swelling goes down fast the liquids and soft foods go through fast. Just hang in there. the real food, 3 oz of Protein like chicken takes a long time to eat and keeps you full for a while. you are not alone!

@@Lacey09

Thank you :)

It gives me hope. I will wait till the real food stage, and see what happens. Frankly I am now sick of pureed and soft food.< /p>

My post op abdominal swelling is still quite pronounced.

I'll "just keep swimming" like Dory in Finding Nemo

On the good side, my chocolate cravings disappeared since my op! No longer do Dory's "Ooooh, look, Chocolate!" :D

I'm only 10 days post op and I'm hungry too. I've had smushies already with no problems even though I'm supposed to be on liquids only. I feel bad that I'm not following guidelines but I need food. I'm counting the calories and logging them but expected it to be more difficult to eat. What's wrong with me?

@@frannydee

there is nothing wrong with you !!!

Sounds like you need more Proteins, and perhaps more Water.

Check with your NUT.

Add Protein powder, (whichever is recommended to you) to your drinks.

I had to do that, in order to get through the liquid stage.

I was told not to count calories, just measure everything to ensure it was within the guidelines.

I also added runny yoghurt to my Soups.

i was told by my docs office that if the swelling of your actual sleeve goes down fast, which they think mine did, can make liquids and soft food go thru fast. some patients that have longer sleeve swelling can bearly get Water down. but everyone heals at their own speed. and my sugar craving is gone like your chocolate craving. i think its cause we went thru "detox" before and after surgery and got all that out of our system so the cravings go way down. plus the hormones produced by the missing stomach that cause cravings are gone. keep hanging in there!

@@Lacey09

Great to hear!

I makes sense what you said re swelling, food getting through faster ....

Great that your sugar cravings are gone!

Like my chocs!

Yes, the surgery removes the portion of the stomach that produces a hormone Ghrelin.

This hormone can make us feel hungry, so we won’t want to eat as much later down the track

I'm still waiting for the normal food progression, heavier texture, etc

Softies are better than purees, however I am looking forward to eating non mashed food. 2 more weeks .....

I ate my little lunch way too fast yesterday ...... Acid Reflux afterwards reminded me that this is one of my consequences of eating too fast .......

Just keep swimming ....