Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz surgery fee

Hi all! I am narrowing down my choices for gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico. I am trying to get info on fees for Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC in Tijuana. The website gives a range and the cost is based on your BMI and other conditions that exist. I am currently at 42 BMI with HBP and reflux. Nothing too major. I have contacted the OCC for more info but being the impatient me, I thought I would put this question out there for everyone here. I have learned a great deal of important info from these forums and thank everyone for their input.

I used Dr. Illan with Bariatric Pal team MX! Girl I loved my doctor! I loved the whole experience. Team MX is wonderful. Have you spoken to someone about Dr. Illan? I was sleeved 3/8 and I can't tell you how much I love my sleeve. I don't know about that specific doctor, I can only tell you about mine and I wouldn't have any other! If you want some contact information please let me know. Please call and talk to Bill before making your final decision on a surgeon. Shoot me a pm if you have specific questions. I would love to help!

Did you fill out the "Consultation" form on the OCC website? When I did that (granted this was almost 2 years ago) I immediately received an auto-reply with pricing. Even if they don't send the auto-reply now, I'm sure you will hear back very quickly.

Thank you both for your input. Jamie...I did receive the response from Lori at OCC soon after I posted! The only thing that I'm concerned about is the "additional risk factors" that could increase the price. I was hoping that would have been addressed in their email since I included all of my stats in my initial email to them. It seems to me that you need to put down your deposit before the health survey review is completed which would determine additional risk factors. The price range was $6500 to $9000 on their website. If it's determined that I have additional risk factors that requires an increase in the fee, I might not be able to get the additional funds over the $6500. Puts me between a rock and a hard place!

It doesn't sound to me from your original post that you would have any additional risk factors to be concerned about, but you could always try to follow up and get a more personalized response. I sent in a ton of questions initially before submitting my deposit, but I don't know whether they've changed their process since then. Can't hurt to ask! The worst they can do is not answer.

Dr Ortiz is one of top 15 Bariatric surgeons & he did mine two years ago. I had no complications what ever lost 85 pounds & feel great. I know six others who have done well with him also. I paid $6500 then & it was well worth it. Included 4 nights st Marriott Hotel that had fantastic accomodations

Yeah, you may try calling Lori or Carolyn directly. I spoke with Carolyn a half dozen times before surgery and emailed several dozen times with my zillion questions. She was always very accommodating and even forwarded some of my more technical questions to the surgeons. As for risk factors, you sound like a "typical" WLS patient and would expect your fee ypto be more. But Some things that could increase the cost probably can't even be assessed until you get there. The cardiologist examines you before surgery and unless you've had diagnostics ahead of time, something like a hiatal hernia won't even be known until you are actually in surgery.

A gal on another forum just had VSG at OCC and based on her symptoms (with no prior testing done) her PCP had told her she had gall bladder problems. Turns out it was actually a hernia which Dr. Ortiz repaired at the same time as her VSG. Another patient there at the same time as me had undiagnosed GERD with severe scarring of her esophagus. She ended up staying a couple extra days and Dr. Ortiz performed a second surgery to clean out the scar tissue. These were both cases of additional costs that couldn't be known ahead of time.

Luckily my surgery was flawless and I had an easy, pain free recovery, have had no complications and over two years later am maintaining 10 pounds below goal. Good luck!

@@babyblues1957

Based on your post the cost of the Vertical Gastric Sleeve with BariatricPal would be $4399.00.

Please feel free contacting me so I could address your concerns. I would love to setup a Skype, Face Time or phone consultation with you and Dr. Jalil Illan. 

Please feel free to email me Bill@Bariatricpal.com. You can also call me 619-900-7808 or 619-522-4112.

HI BILL

Thank you both for your input. Jamie...I did receive the response from Lori at OCC soon after I posted! The only thing that I'm concerned about is the "additional risk factors" that could increase the price. I was hoping that would have been addressed in their email since I included all of my stats in my initial email to them. It seems to me that you need to put down your deposit before the health survey review is completed which would determine additional risk factors. The price range was $6500 to $9000 on their website. If it's determined that I have additional risk factors that requires an increase in the fee, I might not be able to get the additional funds over the $6500. Puts me between a rock and a hard place!

Call BILL,  

I had him on speed dial and he answered every time or got back to me asap.

@@babyblues1957

Based on your post the cost of the Vertical Gastric Sleeve with BariatricPal would be $4399.00.

Please feel free contacting me so I could address your concerns. I would love to setup a Skype, Face Time or phone consultation with you and Dr. Jalil Illan. 

Please feel free to email me Bill@Bariatricpal.com. You can also call me 619-900-7808 or 619-522-4112.

Hi Bill,

Im doing great thanks.  I enjoy hanging out on the Mexico Boards.  

Hope all is well with you.

This investment is about your well beong for the rest of your life. Go with credentials. I had my sleeve done one week ago by Dr. Ortiz at OCC and I will go back to his center if I need some plastics. Top notch, meticiously clean, professional, caring dedicated staff. State of the art- surgery center. It is no time to check into a strip mall clinic. You get what you pay for. Another gal at our hotel on the trip had surgery through a tourism medical group who advertises here and her clinic was in a shopping center! I felt sorry for her. Her experrience is drastically opposite of mine. Again, it is no time to bargain shop. My bargain was crossing the border for several thousand less than here in the US, but likely the most expensive in Mexico because I want to live my best life from here forward. So happy I chose Obesity Control Center. Just my opinion

Hi all! I am narrowing down my choices for gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico. I am trying to get info on fees for Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC in Tijuana. The website gives a range and the cost is based on your BMI and other conditions that exist. I am currently at 42 BMI with HBP and reflux. Nothing too major. I have contacted the OCC for more info but being the impatient me, I thought I would put this question out there for everyone here. I have learned a great deal of important info from these forums and thank everyone for their input.

Did you make a decision about going to Dr. Ortiz?  I've been to OCC for both a lapband and gastric sleeve.  Both times my experience has been fantastic.  Definitely worth paying a bit more money than what other places charge for first class service.  Dr. Ortiz is not the cheapest and is not the most expensive in Mexico.  I had additional charge for my sleeve because of my prior surgeries on my stomach.  If you have not had any prior surgeries, there is no extra cost.  Also, there is no extra cost if they find something during surgery.  So if they find you have a hernia, they don't charge extra after the fact.  They don't charge extra for the hernia repair anyway.  They assume that most obese people have a hernia.  Bariatric Pal also runs their own surgery clinic, so you may not get the most unbiased opinion on this support site.