Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone's goal weight higher than the BMI chart weight?

My goal weight is 180 and I am 5'9". When I was 150 a LONG time ago I looked good but my Dr. was very concerned that I was too thin. My body shape has lots of muscle so the180 weight will allow me to keep my muscle and still be thin but according to BMI I will be overweight.

Yeah when I saw the surgeon he said I didn't have a pre op goal except I can't gain more than 2% during the program. For me thats 7 pounds. I am a little worried about that because I can flux between 10 pounds according to my doctors scale. He doesn't have a digital one and has told me they are not the best at measuring larger people. I am hoping they go by the nuts scale because hers is a digital one that also does the body fat. I have only seen the nut once and she didn't give me any guidelines on how much to eat pre op. I am confused how I am on a medically monitored weight loss program with no guidelines.

I did low carb to drop weight before the surgery. It's pretty effective. Do you have and anticipated surgery date?

My anticipated date is not til October. At first I thought it would be August but then my family planned our first family vacation for September and I didn't want to be doing the liquid diet during that. I asked my surgeon and he was perfectly fine waiting til October. He said I will have my 6th Month in July so that would be when they send everything to insurance and it normally takes 2-3 months after that.

I naturally lean towards a low carb diet. I don't like bread and not a huge fan of potatoes. I do use rice but I have limited that to 1 or 2 x a week. I have been tracking and I actually have a hard time getting my carbs or Protein in now.

I had lost 19 lbs according to my doctors scale from October to February. But when I went back in March a different scale said I gained 5lbs. the 2nd weight was closer to what I thought.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using the BariatricPal App

There's a phenomenon I've noticed that happens the closer you get to goal and it becomes more "real" that you're actually going to get there....

You want to see how much lower you can go.

Once you get to your doctors goal, you're going to tell yourself you can get to your own personal goal if you really want to, and most will do it and beyond. It starts becoming less about "I just want to be healthy" and more about vanity. Right or wrong, it is what it is.

There's a phenomenon I've noticed that happens the closer you get to goal and it becomes more "real" that you're actually going to get there....

You want to see how much lower you can go.

Once you get to your doctors goal, you're going to tell yourself you can get to your own personal goal if you really want to, and most will do it and beyond. It starts becoming less about "I just want to be healthy" and more about vanity. Right or wrong, it is what it is.

My goal is higher than my doctor thought I would go. :-) so stay tuned to see how my own brand of crazy reacts. should be interesting!

@@lauraellen80 14 years ago. Weird about the clothing sizes.

Sleeve gastric bypass on 4/18/16. HW 270 CW 260

I haven't figured out how all of this works to reply and stuff.

Sleeve gastric bypass on 4/18/16. HW 270 CW 260

My doctor set my goal weight at 230 pounds. Any more than that is gravy. Frankly, I'm ok with that as a goal weight, but I've noticed that many people's goals are those on the BMI chart for their height. Would you be ok if you don't get to that weight?

Just curious.

Goal is whatever you want it to be. A lot do go by normal BMI. That was too far fetched for me to imagine. My goal is 175. When I reach it

I'll revaluate, but not sure to what. I just want to achieve that then figure the rest from there. I may not want to lose more, and I'd be ok with that

If I went by BMI's, I would be considered overweight.

However, I have a very low body fat %...in the athletic range.

Therefore, there is nothing left for me to lose to reach what a so-called normal BMI would be.

To do so would be very unhealthy to say the least.

having said that, I am at my goal weight...at least what my body determined where it should be, not me.

I'm in the same boat. The "goal" my surgeon gave me was 220 pounds, but I was 215 pounds when I was 13 years old so that doesn't seem like a very good goal. My "stretch" goal is 180 so will see how it goes.

I was like 230 pounds in 8th grade :blush: , so I don't really know what it's like to be normal weight.

They don't have a goal weight for me. I just want to be on the high end of normal or low end of overweight so about 150 lbs for me.

This is a great question. I started out thinking if I got under 200 (from 326 all time high, and 306 at surgery time) that was a pretty far stretch and probably not possible. Then as the weight came off pretty easily and I got closer to goal, I saw other people reaching a normal BMI, and believed I could do that, too. I wanted to be 145, which would put me at the high end of normal BMI for my age.

But my body will not cooperate. I am securely in the overweight category according to the BMI chart. The metabolism boost I got with surgery didn't stay with me beyond 18 months. Now at 3 1/2 years out, I really have to work at maintaining a BMI between 27-29. It took a long time to be OK with that. I've lost a lot of weight, and after lots of plastics, I don't look like I've ever been overweight, let alone morbidly obese. In clothes, I look better than most 53 year old women. Even with vanity sizing, I don't feel like a size 8 looks fat. So, I am thrilled with my results, and I've (mostly) come to terms with the number on the scale.

I just had surgery March 28th. No one in my dr's office has ever mentioned a goal weight at this point nor have they asked what my goal is. I've been overweight the majority of my life, save for about 2yrs at the end of HS when it just came off. I was in the military and was at my lowest adult weight of 145 equaling a BMI of 22 and looked sick skinny. I'm 5'8" and large framed, most BMI charts don't account for that, but for ones that do my optimal weight is 165-180. I found this website that takes frame size into account and an easy way to determine what your frame size is. I'll be ecstatic to see 180!! Not sure this link will be clickable but healthcentral.com is the main website.

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html

I chose 170 because it would put me under 25 BMI and I know I can reach it because I weighed 170 back in 1997. However, my doctor said that normally people of my height could get down to 140 but he doesn't recommend it for me because of my bone size. He thinks I should go no lower than 160 lbs. If I can hit 170 lbs I will be elated.

I just had surgery March 28th. No one in my dr's office has ever mentioned a goal weight at this point nor have they asked what my goal is. I've been overweight the majority of my life, save for about 2yrs at the end of HS when it just came off. I was in the military and was at my lowest adult weight of 145 equaling a BMI of 22 and looked sick skinny. I'm 5'8" and large framed, most BMI charts don't account for that, but for ones that do my optimal weight is 165-180. I found this website that takes frame size into account and an easy way to determine what your frame size is. I'll be ecstatic to see 180!! Not sure this link will be clickable but healthcentral.com is the main website.

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html

I don't think their way of determining frame size is very accurate. I considers me "small framed" just because I can get my fingers around my wrist? By their measurements, I am overweight by almost 14 pounds, meanwhile I can literally count my ribs through my skin now....

This is a great topic! I am honestly having a hard time with understanding where I should really land. I am 5'10" barely. I currently weigh 164lbs.

When I started my journey I was 310 and sick and miserable. Initially my goal was 100% focused on getting my diabetes, kidney disease and many other comorbitities under control. That literally happened for me within 3 months. Then I was all about getting to onederland. That happened late last summer. Very slowly the weight kept coming off until I realized I could in fact get to my ideal weight which I am at currently. Now, I have been restricted from exercising since June and I have lost a lot of muscle mass which worries me because prior to June I felt a lot healthier when I was doing an hour of cardio every day or every other day.

Now the best I can do is short walks and pt type exercises.

Anyway, i believe my body really has control over where I am going to end up assuming I stick to my plan. Recently I had a week where I was eating things I shouldn't and I gained 2lbs and literally freaked out. Today I am back to 164.

I have been adding whole grains and better calories but have yet to find the sweet spot where I will either stop losing or not gain.

To @@Babbs point, there is a part of me that wants to lose another 10lbs which will give me a buffer but I honestly know given my muscle mass that would not be healthy. I am tiny on top and can count my ribs, I do have hip bones and sternum sticking out yet I still have some fat in my legs and upper arms. I wish we could take that fat and put it in my butt because that is gone and my tailbone sticks out and hurts badly.

Anyway.....I think my body will ultimately decide what it is going to do.

I'd like to get to the BMI target mostly because my company has different level of health insurance rates based on your health and on part of that is BMI. So, if I can hit BMI, then my rates will be less.